Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Jul 2004, 22:31 (Ref:1047102)   #1
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Appalling spectator behaviour

Now - it was a great race, but there was one aspect which I found to be very negative. I'm sure all of you saw how some of the spectators cheered wildly when Kimi Raikkonen went off. It was quite a dramatic off - this was especially visible when we saw the accident through the onboard camera. Yet some of the spectators in the stadium were celebrating the off wildly even before Kimi's car had come to a rest. I found this behaviour extremely appalling - they could at least have waited until they saw the guy walk away unhurt before cheering over the fact that he was out of the race.

If Kimi had been seriously hurt, spectators cheering over his departure from the race would have been extremely bad publicity for F1.
Old 25 Jul 2004, 22:32 (Ref:1047103)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There's no accounting for mindless idiots, but I'm confident it was very much a minority.
Old 25 Jul 2004, 22:33 (Ref:1047106)   #3
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was a minority, but still a very disturbing sight to see.
Old 25 Jul 2004, 22:41 (Ref:1047115)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I thought it a shame too. We see it everywhere, including here on ten-tenths - more pleasure at another's misfortune than at their own cause for celebration. Appropriately the German's have a word for it, Schadenfreude. A truly repugnant emotion.
Old 25 Jul 2004, 22:44 (Ref:1047118)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My problem wasn't so much with pleasure at another's misfortune.

They can celebrate their idol's closest challenger being out of the race, fair enough.

But to cheer before they knew he was going to be okay was disgusting.
Old 25 Jul 2004, 22:47 (Ref:1047120)   #6
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I think it was more a case of them knowing that no one would be able to challenge Michael after Kimi crashed.

you have to remember it was germany , there was loads of Atmosphere and im sure the curcuit commentators were revving the fans up in Michaels favour.

its quite easy to get caught up in that emotion and Cheer when your hero's challenger falls out of the race.

having said that , it didnt look that great on TV but I really think they were Cheering at Michaels chaces and not kimi's demise (but I could be wrong)
Old 25 Jul 2004, 22:49 (Ref:1047123)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

It would have shown a bit more humanity if they had waited till they knew he was unhurt before cheering his demise.
Old 25 Jul 2004, 22:50 (Ref:1047126)   #8
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
With safety so lauded these days the assumption is everyone is going to be okay before the accident is even over.
Western society in general lives with the idea that we can eliminate all risk from our lives. It's only when a tragedy strikes ones family and friends that reality strikes home and people realise what an absurd idea this is.
The mindlessness of a few spectators in Germany is indicative of how 'advanced' our culture really is.
Old 25 Jul 2004, 23:21 (Ref:1047149)   #9
SKT
Rookie

SKT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aptly said teretonga.
Old 25 Jul 2004, 23:25 (Ref:1047151)   #10
bacon sandwich
Racer

United Kingdom
basildon essex
bacon sandwich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's not good - but having said that - I do remeber quite a bit of cheering at Silverstone 1999 - until they realised he was actually hurt!
Old 25 Jul 2004, 23:57 (Ref:1047177)   #11
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I agree R, it was appalling.

I can only assume people were getting caught up in it, but disgusting just the same. That was a scary crash, and I always hold my breath until I see the driver moving.

TBH, Trulli's crash is still the one that sends a chill down my spine.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 00:54 (Ref:1047210)   #12
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Surely we do not want F1 to gain an 'armchair' fanbase that is only concerned about their favourite driver/team winning, with no interest in other areas of the sport, as they have in NASCAR these days.

Personally I appreciate all of the competitors and would prefer to see a great race, rather than see my 'hero' drive off into the distance totally unchallenged.

Last edited by JAG; 26 Jul 2004 at 00:57.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 00:59 (Ref:1047212)   #13
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was quite disgusted at the crowds reaction when Kimi went off as it was obviously a big accident & could've easily led to Kimi suffering an injury.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 01:23 (Ref:1047229)   #14
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Teretonga
With safety so lauded these days the assumption is everyone is going to be okay before the accident is even over.
Personally after having watched the fatal accidents of Senna and Greg Moore (CART) those are assumptions I don't make. It was sad to see the reaction of those fans!
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 26 Jul 2004, 01:50 (Ref:1047243)   #15
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by enemy-ace
Personally after having watched the fatal accidents of Senna and Greg Moore (CART) those are assumptions I don't make. It was sad to see the reaction of those fans!
Having seen my share of fatal accidents in motorsport i'm fully in agreeance with enemy-ace on this point, after a driver has an accident i can never rest easy until he is out of the car & okay.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 01:51 (Ref:1047246)   #16
DKGandBH
Veteran

DKGandBH has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I have to admit that when it started to happen I went "yeah", but when it was obvious that he was going to hit a wall fast, it turned to "****".

The initial reactions are just that, reactions, where little or no thought has been applied.

David
Old 26 Jul 2004, 03:20 (Ref:1047271)   #17
SetikX
Racer

SetikX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
^that type of attitude is appalling. Schumacher has won every race this season excluding one and yet you are PLEASED when a competitor (who has the ability AND speed to take it to schumacher) retires from the race.

Im sorry, but your no fan of formula 1. Go sit with the other ferrari cap wearing fans who hardly even know ferrari have 2 drivers.

P.S - I respect Michael Schumacher, he is an ultimate wealth of talent for formula one. I RESPECT fans of f1 who are also keen supporters of michael, I even am pleased michael is doing so well, I do NOT support blind idiots who want ferrari to trump every race with no competition just so they can wake up to the news the next days to "yet another Schumacher win".

I am sure we all agree that the speed the mac's are showing at the moment is very promising for 2005.

*so very very annoyed.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 03:42 (Ref:1047280)   #18
DKGandBH
Veteran

DKGandBH has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Actually, I am not a Ferrari fan...
I admire M.Schumacher's ability, and realise that he is far and away the best driver out there...as you seem to do...
I just don't like McLaren (and particularly Kimi).

I tend to watch the race from second down as that is where the action is. I also like it when Schumacher is pressed.

I will be more than happy if Webber can "take it to him" in a Williams (or Renault) next year.

David.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 04:43 (Ref:1047297)   #19
GVROK
Rookie

GVROK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone who has been to the Olympics realises that modern world sport is about nationalism. In 1983 Italians applauded when Patrese (an Italian in a brabham) hit the wall to put Tambay in a Ferrari (no.27) in the lead. This prompted James Hunt to say "this proves that Italians prefer cars to people" - I watched todays race on US TV and David Hobbs pointed to the "classless spectators applauding" It happens, but the English are not as bad as the others........yet.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 05:46 (Ref:1047314)   #20
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only word that comes to mind - disgusting.
As some of you allready sad, if they waited to see if he is OK, that would be just fine, but this way...
Old 26 Jul 2004, 06:25 (Ref:1047331)   #21
SetikX
Racer

SetikX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Kimi would have matched the pase Schumacher was running in the second half of the race; however, I am well aware that Schumacher wasnt pressed and would have pulled out something special.

Kimi was robbed, and so was the fans.

I dont understand how anyone could- out of a pack of drivers as large as f1 holds, kimi would be disliked so strongly that they would rather him have an "off" then see someone battling schumacher.

I dont particularly like Ralf, but I delight in seeing racing.

It disgusts me when people like DKGandBH put their own oppinions of drivers ahead of a willingness to admire racing.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 08:29 (Ref:1047416)   #22
jbisminesothere
Rookie

United Kingdom
the middle of nowhere
jbisminesothere should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately i was not able to see the race yesturday, but from what i have read i think that it is disgraceful that people did not make sure Kimi was ok, before expressing their joy. However im sorry but i although i respect SetikX's views i personally disagree. If we look at this from another situation and it was close in the WDC and MS is in front and Kimi is following, then obviously people are going to be happy if Kimi's misfortune leads to MS's victory if they suport MS, just like if they are supporting Kimi and MS did not finish they would be happy. Althought this does not make their cheering right (and they should have waited until they knew that Kimi was ok), if they were not liking the sport they wouldnt be watching and they wouldnt be showing their emotions on the drivers success or failure.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 08:33 (Ref:1047418)   #23
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yep, but that's a totally different situation.
It's still disgusting!
Old 26 Jul 2004, 08:37 (Ref:1047421)   #24
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Not very relevant but seeing again the (taped) scene, I can see as there were (naturally) a lot of red dressed fans, but the mnost prominent one was with a blue and yellow flag, i.e. an Alonso or Trulli "supporter" (or hooligan, we could say).

So, I think is not fair to put too accent in german spectators. Sadly, when an "idol" emerges, unreasonable people appears (not only in F1 , not only in sports). We still remember the attitude of many Mansell's supporters, and so we could go on with many worldwide examples.

In the last years, when an important driver has appeared in F1, we have seen in forums many people from the respective country talking unreasonably about that driver/other drivers.

Motorsport true fans never behaves like that... or at least it's the theory.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 08:40 (Ref:1047425)   #25
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I just watched the tape again, and I noticed two things about these spectators;

1, They where Renault supporters (wearing yellow and blue)

2, The reactions that I saw where just like those of spectators at a football match, just before somethings is about to happen, Yes they got to their feet, and raised there arms up, but once they saw how hard KR hit, they did not continue to applaud (of course, I may be seeing some different footage to the rest of you) after the incident.