Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 25 Aug 2020, 21:00 (Ref:3997941)   #726
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Apparently IMSA has put out some feelers on including P3 in the main series next year. The goal is obviously to boost grid numbers, but in an article on 365 a team owner brings up some good points on the subject. Namely, the people running in the P3 series now are out there to have fun, many are older, and having to step up to multiclass pro series would be a step to far.
Old 25 Aug 2020, 22:02 (Ref:3997949)   #727
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think it's a non starter consideration for a couple reasons.

LMP3 lap times aren't much different than GTLM so we're back to the PC problems again.

LMP2 teams could face drivers wanting to run a LMP3 car instead IF costs are lower. The cars are cheaper but 1.5 million a season for LMP2 I've seen listed a could times wouldn't likely be much cheaper for a LMP3. The cars are cheaper but the running costs aren't built for the hours of IMSA LMP2 season program. Think they run about 15 hours of racing in LMP3 vs 37 in LMP2. The LMP3s are supposed to be able to run all season without a rebuild I think

That said, I like the LMP3 cars more than the Oreca P2. But it still takes me a moment at the track to tell the difference between Ligier and Norma(Duqueine now I guess) and I haven't seen a Ginetta that I remember. And thank god that terrible Adess is gone with that nose.
Old 27 Aug 2020, 19:51 (Ref:3998387)   #728
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
IPC is the only IMSA series I remain to care about, so don't destroy it please. But I don't see why they can't integrate LMP3 into selected main series events only and don't even make it into a championship but just guest entries for race wins... like Daytona/Sebring/PLM -only deal...
Old 29 Aug 2020, 17:19 (Ref:3998768)   #729
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
IPC is the only IMSA series I remain to care about, so don't destroy it please. But I don't see why they can't integrate LMP3 into selected main series events only and don't even make it into a championship but just guest entries for race wins... like Daytona/Sebring/PLM -only deal...
Because most of the drivers aren't experienced enough AND don't want to do that level of racing.

-mike
Old 29 Aug 2020, 18:01 (Ref:3998773)   #730
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
Because most of the drivers aren't experienced enough AND don't want to do that level of racing.

-mike
Umm... yes, but if they don't want and/or can't to do it, then they just... don't do it you know. I don't understand this argument. You can establish a non-championship LMP3 class at those 3 events (or wherever) and make it voluntary to join or not to join. You're not replacing IPC with it - in this scheme of my - but just making a supplementary addition. If it would be a 3 car class at Sebring then it would be a 3 car class. Or 2 car class. Or 8 car class. Or 0 cars and then there just wouldn't be a class. If it would overfill the rest of the grid somewhere (which it won't with the current depleted fields, but let's pretend it did) then you can utilize pre-qualifying procedures similar to the one used for GTC in 2011 PLM

Last edited by Deleted; 29 Aug 2020 at 18:12.
Old 3 Sep 2020, 15:07 (Ref:3999836)   #731
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Umm... yes, but if they don't want and/or can't to do it, then they just... don't do it you know. I don't understand this argument. You can establish a non-championship LMP3 class at those 3 events (or wherever) and make it voluntary to join or not to join. You're not replacing IPC with it - in this scheme of my - but just making a supplementary addition. If it would be a 3 car class at Sebring then it would be a 3 car class. Or 2 car class. Or 8 car class. Or 0 cars and then there just wouldn't be a class. If it would overfill the rest of the grid somewhere (which it won't with the current depleted fields, but let's pretend it did) then you can utilize pre-qualifying procedures similar to the one used for GTC in 2011 PLM
Well the cars aren't built to be used that way so you would require someone who purchased the chassis to modify it for possibly a race that could be cancelled or have just you in it? To what end though? They have their own races, often full of decent action at the start before the drivers naturally start to separate themselves and gaps open up. It's interesting where it is and isn't getting grids so full they need to turn away entrants. If racing is intent on increasing the fields adding costs is not the way to do it. It just feels like wanting to add something that honestly none of the participants have any interest in, they like their series and will move up if they desire but they'll move up to P2.
Old 3 Sep 2020, 17:32 (Ref:3999876)   #732
belt driven
Racer

United States
NE exurban ATL
belt driven has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Thank you, IMSA, for helping me celebrate my 50th anniversary year of attending road races with a sensible weekend schedule. The first Petit ran a couple of short races and a 3 hour IMSA Firehawk race on Sunday. I've never understood why PLM takes 3 days to run a handful of 30-45 minute support races and a Pilot(Continental) challenge race leaving Sunday empty.
Old 3 Sep 2020, 19:00 (Ref:3999893)   #733
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by belt driven View Post
Thank you, IMSA, for helping me celebrate my 50th anniversary year of attending road races with a sensible weekend schedule. The first Petit ran a couple of short races and a 3 hour IMSA Firehawk race on Sunday. I've never understood why PLM takes 3 days to run a handful of 30-45 minute support races and a Pilot(Continental) challenge race leaving Sunday empty.
Because the 2 hour nap at 10 sucks. But I do appreciate they're starting the day with Lamborghini to make sure everyone is up for church. But having Sunday to wake, make coffee, pack after the the sun dried everything is kinda nice.
Old 3 Sep 2020, 22:30 (Ref:3999934)   #734
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Sounds like Dagys thinks MSR is the leader for the Acura DPi for one car so far with others possible. Sounds like we'd see Taylor and Cameron in the car since they are both signed to HPD not Penske. Guessing it's not a fully funded program now with 2 cars not set to announce.

Wonder that that would mean for the NSX program but could see it continue as before since they would be at the same rounds without having to split the team up much, only the GT only and GTD sprint rounds.

Sounds like 2021 schedule was set to be announced this weekend but pushed back to Wed according to notebook.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/r...ay-notebook-7/
Old 5 Sep 2020, 02:25 (Ref:4000148)   #735
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
There's a race this weekend but feels like an afterthought. Qualifying ended with GTLM and DPi with tiny gaps in the top 5. #7 on pole, 911 in GTLM but top 5 within a tenth, .086 to be precise. Turn 2 is SLICK, watch for cars taking too much curb tomorrow.

Last edited by broadrun96; 5 Sep 2020 at 02:39.
Old 5 Sep 2020, 14:12 (Ref:4000257)   #736
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Early morning Porsche action is showing Turn 3 is slick today, most everyone pushing it is coming through at about 15 degrees from straight.

Did not see a morning warm-up but it was 20 degrees cooler than quali was at 8 am. 80 degrees at 10 am to a high of 85 today but full sun and clear skies

Early incidents so far this morning have been off driver's right out of 5 and across the track. Makay Snow in Lamborghini and a driver in to the wall and across the track in Porsche. Too much curb use from both it sounds. And DPis were doing the same in qualifying so we'll see how that goes.
Old 5 Sep 2020, 16:02 (Ref:4000276)   #737
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Start was nuts
https://twitter.com/IMSA/status/1302271934206562305

race live
http://www.radiolemans.co/imsa-live-video-stream/

#31 (F. NASR) - drive thru - for start incident

#7 Helio - drive thru - pitlane limit
then
#7 Helio - drive thru - RUNNING THE LIGHT AT PIT EXIT - STOP + 60

#912 - VANTHOOR - RUN OVER HOSE,TOOL,PART,PERSON IN OWN OR OTHER PIT BOX - DRIVE THROUGH

Last edited by TWRv12; 5 Sep 2020 at 16:16.
Old 5 Sep 2020, 16:10 (Ref:4000278)   #738
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
And now stop plus 60 as well, blew the red at pit out
Old 5 Sep 2020, 16:17 (Ref:4000279)   #739
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
The word of the day is penalty
Old 5 Sep 2020, 16:18 (Ref:4000280)   #740
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Shame we can't keep gtlm more subscribed. Nice close train of cars.
Old 5 Sep 2020, 16:22 (Ref:4000282)   #741
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I missed the start, and all that fun .... got back just as the #31 was heading to pay for a penalty, had to take care of business ... . got back a yellow flag had put the #31 back into contention and Castroneves well back ...... now that I can watch the race steadily, I guess all the excitement will end...

GTLM is once again presenting the kind of racing which once made it the most popular class .... it still is among fans, I'd wager, but not for manufacturers ....
Old 5 Sep 2020, 19:55 (Ref:4000300)   #742
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CAR 31 DERANI: PENALTY - INCIDENT RESPONSIBILTY WITH 44 PUMPELLY - DRIVE THROUGH

Huge hit for Spencer at T4.

Pipo was running 2nd
Old 5 Sep 2020, 20:00 (Ref:4000302)   #743
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
He definitely dove in to the Esses coming past me and passed anothet GTD in to them. Was brave and crazy at best.

Second drive through for them today for contact.

The 77 has TAKEN OFF in front of the Acuras
Old 5 Sep 2020, 20:01 (Ref:4000303)   #744
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRv12 View Post
CAR 31 DERANI: PENALTY - INCIDENT RESPONSIBILTY WITH 44 PUMPELLY - DRIVE THROUGH

Pipo was running 2nd

Deserved penalty.
Old 5 Sep 2020, 20:14 (Ref:4000304)   #745
TWRv12
Veteran

#77 unscheduled stop
Old 5 Sep 2020, 20:18 (Ref:4000305)   #746
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
LMP2s getting close to DPi pace, multiple laps in the low 1:11s and 1:10s from both cars without traffic.

77 caught the Mazda bug. Was crushing the field but sounds like they're done. Haven't seen them by again.
Old 5 Sep 2020, 20:18 (Ref:4000306)   #747
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
#77 unscheduled stop

Brakes.
Old 5 Sep 2020, 20:24 (Ref:4000309)   #748
TWRv12
Veteran

Penske lucky to be 1-2
Old 5 Sep 2020, 20:25 (Ref:4000310)   #749
TWRv12
Veteran

Quote:

Pipo was running 2nd

https://twitter.com/IMSA/status/1302333515573362695
Old 5 Sep 2020, 20:35 (Ref:4000313)   #750
TWRv12
Veteran

#77 back out, 16 laps down