Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 19 Nov 2011, 17:20 (Ref:2988807)   #1
Gavin4BRM
Rookie

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
Gavin4BRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Help, F1 car needed.

I know this is a strange request, I am looking for any information on availability to arrange a drive in an older F1 car within UK. My best friend, mechanic and also accomplished Formula Ford and Rally driver has been diagnosed with terminal bone cancer. We have been trying to get him to spend some money on a car or something. Eventually he mentioned to me last week, that he would love to be able to pay for a test drive in an old F1 car, following a conversation about me driving an old Hesketh.
Does anyone know if there is someone that does driver experience days for F1? This is obviously not an open ended cheque book as he has had to quit work and is not old enough for a pension.
Many thanks!
Old 19 Nov 2011, 17:41 (Ref:2988815)   #2
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.racing-school.co.uk/driving/formula1.asp
Or
http://www.firebox.com/product/1807/...ing-Experience (Same car! sama outfit?)
Try a Google for "F1 experience"

If you're offered a session in an F1 car at Three Sisters, forget it. Good fun track, but designed for karts. An F1 wouldn't get out of first gear.

JOhn
Old 19 Nov 2011, 18:18 (Ref:2988823)   #3
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.agsformule1.com/ These guys are the real deal; Jordan, Prost and an Arrows.
Old 20 Nov 2011, 02:45 (Ref:2989017)   #4
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
If you're offered a session in an F1 car at Three Sisters, forget it. Good fun track, but designed for karts. An F1 wouldn't get out of first gear.

JOhn
Now come on John - one might just about grab second out the back of the circuit!
Old 20 Nov 2011, 12:00 (Ref:2989152)   #5
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My apologies to Three Sisters, and any fans!
This guy is circulating the track in fourth gear (out of six). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOsK3yXG3qI He's in an alleged 600bhp Arrows. Hmmmmm. Could an F1 do that, tuned and geared for a 'proper' track?

We all saw on Top Gear how difficult Richard Hammond found even driving off in a fully tuned F1 Williams(?). The OP is after a truly lifetime experience for his friend. I still don't think Three Sisters would be that!

John
Old 20 Nov 2011, 13:28 (Ref:2989176)   #6
herowassenna
Veteran

herowassenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD View Post

We all saw on Top Gear how difficult Richard Hammond found even driving off in a fully tuned F1 Williams(?). The OP is after a truly lifetime experience for his friend. I still don't think Three Sisters would be that!

John
I don't remember him driving a Williams, was it the Renault on the track and a Toyota inside a massive hangar building?
Old 21 Nov 2011, 08:16 (Ref:2989461)   #7
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There used to be an F1 Tyrrell at Mallory, try Everyman Racing.

I'm pretty sure these are detuned, soft clutches etc for everyday use compared to Hammond's full on experience.
Old 21 Nov 2011, 12:14 (Ref:2989566)   #8
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
There used to be an F1 Tyrrell at Mallory, try Everyman Racing.
There hasn't been for some time now.

BTW racing-school.co.uk now operate at Mallory Park, along with Rockingham, Donington Park and Three Sisters. The latter being the only venue in the UK where you can drive a Formula One car.
Believe me, I've seen hundreds of F1 customers there this year alone and - no matter how well / quickly they drive, they invariably love it.
Old 21 Nov 2011, 14:49 (Ref:2989626)   #9
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I saw the title of this thread I thought it was an appeal by HRT or Virgin Racing. LOL. Good luck anyway.
Old 6 May 2012, 11:51 (Ref:3070198)   #10
Gavin4BRM
Rookie

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
Gavin4BRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is a last attempt to find anyone who has an old F1 car or F5000 that they would be prepared to lease out for half a dozen laps. We even have a circuit at Blyton Park near Scunthorpe with fresh new track and no trackside furniture. Unfortunately time is running short to be able to fulfill this dream. Travel to France is not an option as time and travel become too tiring.
Please help out, just name your price! Help me give my best friend a special treat for all he ever did for me when I was racing!
Old 6 May 2012, 18:02 (Ref:3070307)   #11
adam46
Racer

United Kingdom
Isle Of Wight, UK.
adam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridadam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Maybe you should try and get in contact with people in the 'Historic Racing Today' forum, someone may be able to hook you up. I'll tell you what I know a couple fo people, I'll see what I can do but I promise nothing.

It only matters if it has a motor...
Old 15 May 2012, 23:41 (Ref:3075077)   #12
Andrew Rast
Rookie

Canada
Toronto
Andrew Rast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin4BRM View Post
I know this is a strange request, I am looking for any information on availability to arrange a drive in an older F1 car within UK. My best friend, mechanic and also accomplished Formula Ford and Rally driver has been diagnosed with terminal bone cancer. We have been trying to get him to spend some money on a car or something. Eventually he mentioned to me last week, that he would love to be able to pay for a test drive in an old F1 car, following a conversation about me driving an old Hesketh.
Does anyone know if there is someone that does driver experience days for F1? This is obviously not an open ended cheque book as he has had to quit work and is not old enough for a pension.
Many thanks!
Really sorry to hear that, man. My condolences. Hope he makes it through okay.
"I'm not claiming divinity. I've never claimed purity of soul. I've never claimed to have the answers to life. I only put out songs and answer questions as honestly as I can... But I still believe in peace, love and understanding." - John Lennon