Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 16 Jul 2002, 12:47 (Ref:334949)   #1
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Marshaling at GP's other than the British

Ok, so we are all seriously chuffed off with the way we were treated at Silverstone only a weekend ago. Showers, toilets, campsite etc etc etc, not to mention the F1, F3000, F3 and Porky Supercup paddocks all now requiring swipe card entry.

The question I want answered is "what do marshals receive at other Grand Prix's?"

If we are to badger Octagon and the MSA about our abysmal treatment at the GP, then we need to know the 'norm' for other GP's on the calendar. So, do you get access to the pits on any given evening. Do you receive payment. Do you get two tickets (one for you, one for a guest). What are the camping facilities like? You all know what I am getting at. If I can collect enough evidence then I am willing to collate it and send it to the MSA/Octagon with a covering letter.

It would seem to me that we have enough ten-tenthers who marshal other GP's or know people who do, so lets get together and see if we can't improve our 'lot'.......

This subject was mentioned by a few of the guys I talked to at Silverstone, and I promised to start a thread once I was back at work (today...yawn!). Paul Hickman is I believe already in discussion with several of the powers in order to try and improve the marshals lot so lets please wish him well in his endeavours.
Old 16 Jul 2002, 13:14 (Ref:334975)   #2
paul.hickman
Racer

United States
uk, mallorca & florida...
paul.hickman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marshals at the Worlds Grand Prix

I was just about to 'post' when I found Steve's message - so I'll add mine to his!

"It seems to me that marshals who assist at the world’s FIA Formula 1 events are treated differently country by country (for example in the UK we receive one complimentary guest pass, £15 (25 Euros) towards expenses, a hat and a programme. There is no opportunity to purchase discounted additional tickets or grandstand seating). The package in France and the US certainly seems more advantageous.

I am trying to draw up a matrix of the packages including any additional benefits available to marshals. I have the feeling that this should provide interesting variations that the FIA (and national clubs) might find hard to explain.

If you have personal knowledge as to what is received then please either post a reply or send me an e-mail.

It may well be that others have done this already (and thus save me the task!) – if you know this to be so then please let me know!"

On the 'lot of marshals' front, yes I am speaking with Octagon and the MSA - if words do translate into actions then conditions for those who make the trip to Silverstone in 2003 should be much improved.... watch this space (but maybe you'd be wise not to hold your breath)!

Regards

Paul
Old 16 Jul 2002, 13:24 (Ref:334987)   #3
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks Paul, If you don't mind I will leave this one in your capable hands?
Old 16 Jul 2002, 13:36 (Ref:334997)   #4
icklimp
Racer

England
icklimp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if you want to know what marshals get for the australian grand prix you could try e-mailing info@CAMS.com.au, i contacted them about a marshalling matter and they were really helpful, you could also try the canadians on asncdn@netcom.ca, again chere cooke, their administrator was really quick in responding and got me all the info i needed.
Old 16 Jul 2002, 13:44 (Ref:335006)   #5
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
doh! double post and it won't let me delete
anyway, I'll use this to let you know I'm off to email someone who does
Monaco
France
Belgium
and Germany

that should fill up Mr Hickmans data table if he replies

Last edited by Bodysnatcher; 16 Jul 2002 at 13:53.
Old 16 Jul 2002, 13:50 (Ref:335010)   #6
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Canada - F1 at Montreal (2001/2002 experiences)

no camp site - you have to find your own accommodation in town
very limited amount of car park passes - but exceptional metro system
no programme
no hat
no cash
complimentary general admission ticket (very limited viewing possibilities)

signing on open midday to midnight on the Thursday

coffee,fruit juice and donuts at briefing on every morning
lunch provided
"unlimited" beer and soft drinks at the end of each day. (Silversone please note - much more controlled - only one can at a time per person and it's handed to you opened - so no hoarding possible)
BBQ on saturday evening - plenty food - no voucher system
event polo shirt and pins

and very very friendly natives - the beer and BBQ are served by the local equivalents of the BRDC chiefs.
And then then come and talk to you 1 to 1 - to make sure everything is going OK.
Old 16 Jul 2002, 14:13 (Ref:335028)   #7
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
Re: Marshals at the Worlds Grand Prix

Quote:
Originally posted by paul.hickman but edited a bit by me
The package in France and the US certainly seems more advantageous.
Paul, having only done the US in 2000, I can't say the package was better, (in fact au contraire) but I'll leave it for a while to see if Racegypsy Bob B adds his pennysworths about the more recent events.

Alasdair (if you don't recognise the nom de plume)
Old 16 Jul 2002, 14:45 (Ref:335042)   #8
paul.hickman
Racer

United States
Thanks - I shan't go into your nom de plume! Seemingly I'm getting differing information - but no doubt the Racegypsy will put it all right as regards the US/Canada. My French informants tell an interesting story of militant marshal power!

Regards

Paul
Old 17 Jul 2002, 01:44 (Ref:335468)   #9
cdn girl
Rookie

cdn girl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Folks
I've worked both the Canadian and US Gps.this year at Montreal we got a free gp pass,golf shirt and a pin.Since it is the summer and school is out university residences are the cheapest way to stay,also they're close to the metro which gets you anywhere you really want to go ie Cresent street.Get a week long pass for the metro it's cheaper in the long run.At the track lunches were good this year-sandwich,salad,apple,cheese,crackers and cake.There is also a large cooler of ice water provided at the stands.Everything else is as stated in an earlier post.Last year at Indy because of the time of year you just about have to stay at a hotel and they do really like to jack up the prices about 50% above normal rates.Parking is provided at the track also after day beer and some munchies.The bad part about it is almost dark by the time the day is done and there isn't alot of lighting where they put us.The lunches last year were BAD stale sandwiches and chips I don't remember much else abut the lunches expect they were lousy.Those of us who came from away were thanked very much for coming considing what happened 2 weeks before.One guest pass is avaiable if you want it.All in all it's better than what you guys had at Silverstone.
Old 17 Jul 2002, 08:24 (Ref:335589)   #10
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
US GP
accomodation is the main reason I won't go back - it's very expensive and a hire car/taxi is neccesary to get across or around town - public transport in the US leaves a wee bit to be desired.
since Bob the gypsy has'nt checked in, I'll add to Canadian girl's info re US
in 2000
thursday night - signing on followed by excellent meal with limited amount of free drinks
non flame proof overalls and lightweight waterproof suit provided (but have to be returned after event)
hat
polo shirt
no cash
no programme
general admission ticket if requested in advance
car pass to lot within easy walking distance of track (less than 100m to our post at turn 3 or 4)
no camping - public camp sites are close, but are really for RVs, not tents and are pretty rowdy.
Hotel accommodation is a rip off regards prices

other stuff as cdn girl says -
additionally for Montreal
uni accomodation only bumps its prices up by about 10% for the fri/sat/sun nights - makes it about £25 a night.
Party atmosphere in town - what a bonus.
I'm sorry I won't get back next year, but it clashes with an old favourite at Le Mans that takes priority
Al - part of Lou's international 1 crew - starred on Saturday at the Sato BBQ - well, my arse did!
Old 19 Jul 2002, 06:10 (Ref:337073)   #11
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In a bout o insomnia, have found myself reading of your plight.

My question is thus, how are the various gripes stated here different from 10, 20,30 or more years ago? I must say that given that this is THE biggest race in the UK, I'm surprised that even the food was so chinzy. As one of you mentioned, the amount of money involved in in setting up this one race would completely overshadow any other single race,so the "cheapstake" attitude doesn't make sense does it?

What are the BTCC events like, as wouldn't they be the next level down in terms of crowd draw/money put in?
And do working situations for all of you depend on the different organizers (or disorganizers in the case of not enough showers etc) and their level of having planning in advance for the track workers?

Lastly, is there an attitude by the organizers that loads of people would gladly put up with these conditions to be trackside, so "don't complain", if you get my drift?

just some thoughts from the middle of the night in Canada.
Old 19 Jul 2002, 08:41 (Ref:337146)   #12
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
Don't even start on how the TOCA/BTCC mob have treated us...
Old 19 Jul 2002, 08:49 (Ref:337157)   #13
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
oh no please do start - I can have SO much fun if you do!
Old 21 Jul 2002, 21:34 (Ref:339150)   #14
paul.hickman
Racer

United States
Thanks to all who have given details of the marshals 'package' for the Grand Prix of the World. That said, out of 16 races I have only those for the UK, France, Germany, Monaco, Belgium,US & Canada. Can other racing globetrotters update the table...?

Regards

Paul
Old 22 Jul 2002, 08:46 (Ref:339402)   #15
flaggie1
Racer

flaggie1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Steve at the AGP this year we were issued with a pitsuit to where for the duration(one only). We reiceived a cap, programme, an event poster and promotional poster, two guest passes but only one allowed entry to the after party on sunday nite. A keyring lunch and drinks across all four days. Limited beer on each nite access to the pits only on fri and sat nite. Access to purchase merchandise at a discounted rate on the thursday nite. But the pitsuit we had to return at the end of Sunday. But not everyone one does. I Dont no how that will compare.
Old 22 Jul 2002, 10:27 (Ref:339467)   #16
paul.hickman
Racer

United States
flaggie1 - is AGP the Australian or Austrian - the mention of beer makes me think that it must be the former!

Regards

Paul
Old 23 Jul 2002, 09:03 (Ref:340389)   #17
flaggie1
Racer

flaggie1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry Paul i should've specified. It's the Maginificent park track in Melbourne Australia. The mention of beer should've gave it away.
Old 23 Jul 2002, 19:33 (Ref:341015)   #18
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Paul, & friends, sorry didn't get in on the beginning of this one, have been driving back to StPaul from Road America, and packing to go to VAncouver.

Most has been said for the F1s that I do, in recent years that has only been US & Canadian, stopped doing Brit GP a few years ago-you don't need reasons!

Agree that both Montreal & Indianapolis are really motel/hotel venues, and yes Indianapolis does jack it's prices up, but usaully there are 6 or 8 in a 4 person (2 double beds) room, so you can cut costs that way.
Montreal I have always struggled for acommadation, had one good private invite in 96, otherwise pay hotel prices.
Liz has mentioned that I should try university, as djb says, may go for that for CART.

Smaller meetings in US/Canada are better in what you get, but a lot of my American friends believe it is getting worse here too. However unlike UK food is normal for lunch, and usually for breakfast meeting and Sat night party.
Old 25 Jul 2002, 09:43 (Ref:342280)   #19
paul.hickman
Racer

United States
Thanks Bob (glad that you have re-emerged!).

Given your extensive network, do you have any contacts who may know of 'pay/conditions' at the remaining events?

Look after yourself - and I guess we'll see you next in the UK at the Revival meeting in September?

Regards (to Hawkeye as well if you see him)

Paul