Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 May 2003, 15:58 (Ref:613777)   #1
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Have Bridgestone gone too soft?

Last year Michelin were very much in need of a win by this time in the season, and they had been accused of using tyres which were too conservative. As a result they brought ultra-sticky rubber to Monaco 2002 and we saw several cars with delaminating tyres. Now, in 2003, the Bridgestone tyres seem very quick over the one lap - but I was reading Button's decription of his qualifying lap and he mentions that he was, on the one hand, trying to cool the tyres in the first sector and, on the other hand, experiencing graining at the end of the lap. To me that sounds like a pretty fragile tyre.

I hope the Michelins can perform better in the race - the prospect of a pack of Williams, Renaults and McLarens breathing down the necks of Ferraris and BARs on deteriorating tyres is certainly one that I relish.
Old 29 May 2003, 16:02 (Ref:613786)   #2
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Bridgestone runners may end up having to compromise on strategy...
Old 29 May 2003, 16:03 (Ref:613787)   #3
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good food for thought.

In lieu of actual passing on the track, "breathing down the neck" is probably the best we can hope for.

That, and rain.
Old 29 May 2003, 16:18 (Ref:613810)   #4
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah - but if there is rain - the Michelin's will have to sit behind the safety car for political reasons just to save the Bridgestone runners from utter shame with their dry-wet tyre!
Old 30 May 2003, 04:05 (Ref:614319)   #5
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glen,

That presupposes that BAR will run ahead of Williams, Renault and McLaren, which I doubt.

Anyway, "cooling the tyres" sounds a bit like a contradiction in terms, rather like "saving the engine".

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 30 May 2003, 04:42 (Ref:614335)   #6
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
What has Mrs. Bridgestone to say about this?

Seriously, if JB is needing to cool his tires during a one-shot qualifying lap then the Bridgestones in question may be very questionable!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 30 May 2003, 04:43 (Ref:614336)   #7
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Sorry for the double post, but do we really take JB seriously when he comments from a technical standpoint? Are there any other drivers making a similar statement?
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 30 May 2003, 05:58 (Ref:614361)   #8
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnSSC
do we really take JB seriously when he comments from a technical standpoint?
Being a Jenson fan, i'll ignore that remark John however, what happens with the tyres on the BAR (and the Sauber, Jordan and Minardi) will be totally different with what happens to the Bridgestones on the Ferrari.
Old 30 May 2003, 08:44 (Ref:614493)   #9
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Do we take him seriously? What - you mean the first driver behind the two Ferraris? I don't think you put your car there without some technical know-how. Duh.
Old 30 May 2003, 08:57 (Ref:614501)   #10
Glen
Veteran

Ah - this could explain it.... rumours are going round that Ferrari, and possibly other Bridgestone teams, are running qualifying tyres for the pre-qualifying session. They are not required to pick their race tyres until the Saturday session. Hopefully this means that the Michelin times look artificially bad, although Ferrari and the others have achieved their objective of running late and on more ruber on Saturday. How ironic it will be if the late runners get rain!
Old 30 May 2003, 10:11 (Ref:614548)   #11
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Sorry for the double post, but do we really take JB seriously when he comments from a technical standpoint? Are there any other drivers making a similar statement?
So you're better qualified to talk about F1 cars?

He drives the things, he might have an inkling of what he's talking about...
Old 30 May 2003, 10:17 (Ref:614558)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What has Mrs. Bridgestone to say about this?

Last edited by Knowlesy; 30 May 2003 at 10:18.
Old 30 May 2003, 10:26 (Ref:614568)   #13
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Attack the post, not the poster Logrence! Geez!

Point: JB is 22 years old. I am simply asking if he had to "manage" his tires because of some measure of inexperience. My question then was "are some of the more experienced/technically oriented drivers saying the same thing?

I did not say or imply that I am better qualified to talk about them, not that JB doesn't have an inkling.

Holy Smokes Batman! If that is the attitude then: A) how many people here are actually qualified to say anything and B) wouldn't that make the forum interesting if only those with the proper qualifications were allowed to post and C) Yes Glen i am aware that it takes technical know-how to pre-qualify way high up on the grid.

There are some drivers though who are more technically oriented than others, was just wondering what else had been said.

I will just leave this thread to all of the much more highly qualified members so that they may discuss things properly...
Old 30 May 2003, 10:39 (Ref:614580)   #14
Glen
Veteran

I think the ultra-soft qualifying tyres rumour would explain why other drivers are keeping quiet about this.
Old 30 May 2003, 10:42 (Ref:614584)   #15
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Thank you Glen!
Old 30 May 2003, 12:06 (Ref:614648)   #16
billyblister
Racer

billyblister should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wait, before we kill each other on this Button is driving the BAR, which is basically last years Williams and we saw how that baby used to EAT its tyres so quickly. good in quals not so good in race.
Old 30 May 2003, 12:54 (Ref:614706)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The BAR does indeed take some design clues (and personel) from Williams, but I'm not we can assume that it hence eats it's tyres (engines, maybe! ).
Old 30 May 2003, 13:26 (Ref:614736)   #18
Glen
Veteran

Can't remember who (could have been a Renault spokesman) but I do remember a comment on tv at Austria that was along the lines of the BAR being particularly gentle on its tyres. Certainly I haven't noticed them doing short stints without other good reason in previous races this year. Having said that we do come back to the trend for Monaco for extremly borderline/ultra-soft tyres - which Michelin have spoken about in their recent press release.

I think all will become clear on Saturday - the (race) Michelins will perform much better, relatively speaking, and I don't expect BAR to show nearly as highly onthe grid.
Old 30 May 2003, 16:21 (Ref:614938)   #19
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Attack the post, not the poster Logrence! Geez!
So is your post better qualified to talk about Formula One cars?
Old 30 May 2003, 16:24 (Ref:614943)   #20
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Logrence
So is your post better qualified to talk about Formula One cars?
Johns post isn't attacking anyone. As for talking about F1 cars, isn't that what we're all here to do?
Old 30 May 2003, 16:38 (Ref:614961)   #21
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ahh tires, so does this mean that Webber is using the softest tires that Michelin offers? I mean he has been able to take a midfield car and run among the top teams but in the races he has not delivered yet! I think JB and BAR just got it right yesterday. Other teams like Renault are still coming to grips. The BAR does not eat tires the way the Williams did.

All the tires have an optimal operating temp as we all know. Maybe JB was working the tires too hard on his out lap. That would explain his need to "cool his tires". As for saving the engine, Honda has not had a motor fail in a race all year (I hope I did not just jinx them). I dont think JB needed to save anything. He went out with a light car and hauled a$$. GW himself said that teams still run with heavier fuel during 1st qualifying because it the next day that counts as well as the race. So that could explain some teams being slower.
Old 30 May 2003, 21:47 (Ref:615272)   #22
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Thank you Mr V!

Logrence, I really think that we are all here to post and talk about F1, whatever our qualifications.

If you would like to question me or my qualifications further, a PM would be the best avenue and the least waste of time for the other forum members.
Old 31 May 2003, 21:05 (Ref:616146)   #23
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Well, following qualy "proper", it would appear Michelin have a superior tyre... The race may turn out different, it is all a bit tricky to judge really. One thing for sure, tomorrow is going to be a challenging race...