Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 2 Dec 2002, 21:20 (Ref:441385)   #1
power&glory
Racer

power&glory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New list

Champweb.net has just come out with a new prospective line-up for 2003. Now, I don't know how they can back up some of this info, but apparently champweb has some inside sources and for that reason i give this report some merit (i just copy/pasted it cuz i don't know any other way):

2002-12-02
A quick rundown
Let's do a quick rundown on what the field will most likely consist of next year. Sure there have only been 9 officially announced, but plenty are simply being worked on behind the scenes.

Walker Racing- 2 cars
Dale Coyne- 2 cars
Players Forsythe- 2 cars
Forsythe Championship- 1 car
Fernandez Racing- 2 cars
Patrick Racing- 2 cars
Rocketsports- 1 car
Newmann-Haas- 1 or 2 cars
Johannson- 2 cars
Fittipaldi- 1 car
Racing Engineering- 1 car
JAG Sports- 1 car
Herdez- 2 cars
Rahal- 1 car
Blair- 1 car
Indy Regency- 1 car

The total is 23-24 cars...the only problem is, they need to start announcing!

Last edited by power&glory; 2 Dec 2002 at 21:21.
Old 2 Dec 2002, 21:51 (Ref:441398)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Anybody want to give me quick education about who JAG and Racing Engineering are?
Old 2 Dec 2002, 21:57 (Ref:441403)   #3
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
JAG are the German effort behind Lotterer's race at Mexico City. 'JAG' was on the side of his car. If they get a car up, Lotterer will be the driver.
Old 2 Dec 2002, 22:15 (Ref:441413)   #4
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone knows Racing Engineering?
Old 2 Dec 2002, 22:21 (Ref:441416)   #5
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Racing Engineering is Franck Montagny's and Justin Wilson's team in the Telefonica World Series.

Last edited by mac; 2 Dec 2002 at 22:21.
Old 2 Dec 2002, 22:57 (Ref:441436)   #6
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
who are the 9 officially announced cars? Three for Forsythe, one for Rahal, and lets give Fernandez his two. who else? Herdez?
Old 2 Dec 2002, 23:09 (Ref:441441)   #7
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Walker has one announced, so does Rocketsports, and so does Coyne. That's your nine, with the 6 you posted
Old 3 Dec 2002, 00:25 (Ref:441479)   #8
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They forgot Wayne Thomas. In fact, I think his team had better be named "The Team America Forgot." Especially since Herta is going to be one of the drivers! (Or so one hears.)
Old 3 Dec 2002, 01:13 (Ref:441492)   #9
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here are the "officially" confirmd I'm aware of:
Coyne (1)
Players/Forsythe (2)
Rahal (1)
Rocketsports (1)
Fernandez (1)
Walker (2)
Patrick (1)

That's 9 and I hope some of the others Rush posted as "officially announced" are in. My count comes from www.cart.com/news/article.asp?id =insert#here(5266,5287,5245,5278,5045,5229 and 4606). Everyone except Walker & Rocketsports appear to be trying to field another car. Add Newman-Haas, other new teams etc. CART appears to be through the bottom and on the definate upswing.
Old 3 Dec 2002, 02:11 (Ref:441508)   #10
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any news behind the possible Blair entry - Alex Barron ?
Old 3 Dec 2002, 02:11 (Ref:441509)   #11
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Herdez have already officially announced Dominguez for next year, and are most likely having a second car as the team expect more backing - Expect Moreno in the second seat either there, or even back at Patrick, as Pat is also trying to secure extra funding.

Newman-Haas have officially announced Bruno as their driver in Champ Cars next year.
Old 3 Dec 2002, 15:44 (Ref:441858)   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Blair and Indy Regency are new possible entries to me, bth from IRL.

I'd be very surpised if Newman-Haas only run one car, and a second Rahal seems (to me) more likely than a second Patrick.

All the same, 18-22 cars looks very likely.
Old 4 Dec 2002, 13:10 (Ref:442529)   #13
SevenGrain
Veteran

United States
Berea, KY
SevenGrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz

Newman-Haas have officially announced Bruno as their driver in Champ Cars next year.
Yes, Bruno has been announced as Newman Haas' driver next year, but the carefully worded press release made no mention of what series they would be racing in. It's highly likely that it will be in Champ Car, but not official. Toyota is still trying to pull some strings, but Newman is strongly anti-IRL. Haas could go either way.

Last edited by SevenGrain; 4 Dec 2002 at 13:11.
Old 4 Dec 2002, 14:08 (Ref:442581)   #14
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I haven't heard "announcements" from Patrick, Newman-Haas, Herdez, Fittipaldi, Johansson, Racing Engineering, JAG Sports, a second Fernandez car, a second Walker car or a second Coyne car. The Forsythe Championship deal with Alex Yoong is expected soon. Blair closed his shop and let his people go Monday. Indy Regency reportedly has a dollar-for-dollar sponsorship match deal with Pook. Some of these are assumed to happen and could come together rather quickly, but some are a ways away.
Old 4 Dec 2002, 14:56 (Ref:442608)   #15
SteveA
Rookie

SteveA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
What, Frank Bruno? "I can't drive the car with these gloves on, 'arry"

Last edited by SteveA; 4 Dec 2002 at 14:59.
Old 5 Dec 2002, 20:54 (Ref:443655)   #16
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fernandez - A.Fernandez + L.Diaz
Herdez - M.Dominguez + R.Moreno
Mo Nunn - ?
Newman/Haas - B.Junqueira + A.Tagliani
Player's/Forsythe - P.Carpentier + P.Tracy
Team Rahal - M.Jourdain Jr + J.Vasser
Patrick - O.Servia
Walker - R.Gonzalez + M.Haberfeld
Dale Coyne - J.Camathias + T.Monteiro
Rocketsports -
Arciero -
Johansson - R.Hunter-Reay + M.Gidley
Forsythe Championship Racing - A.Yoong
Racing Engineering -
Morello - J.Herbert
Team St.George - D.Manning
Fittipaldi - M.Papis
Protostar - B.Herta

BOLD = confirmed

Thats the latest that I heard. 9 confirmed teams, 8 drivers. Rest are rumours.

Last edited by Speedworx; 5 Dec 2002 at 20:56.
Old 5 Dec 2002, 22:38 (Ref:443737)   #17
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Rahal's 2 cars look unlikely, because he's running one in the IRL with Brack...
Old 6 Dec 2002, 05:01 (Ref:443900)   #18
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
sgw2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hakkinen that list is optimistic. Really only seven cars are confirmed, although three more are highly probable. All else is in the formation stage.

Confirmed (announced)

1. Paul Tracy, Player's Forsythe, Lola
2. Patrick Carpentier, Player's Forsythe, Lola
3. Adrian Fernandez, Tecate/Telmex/Quaker State, Lola
4. Michel Jourdain jr., Gigante Team Rahal, Lola
5. Roberto Gonzales, (sponsor?) Walker, Reynard
6. Joel Camathias, (sponsor?) Coyne, Lola
7. TBA, Johnson Controls Rocketsports, TBA

Highly Likely (not publicly announced, but in place)

8. Mario Dominguez, Herdez, Lola
9. Oriol Servia, Visteon Patrick, Reynard
10. Bruno Junqueira, (Lilly?) Newman-Haas, Lola

(11?) Alexandre Tagliani, TBD, TBD (he is a "free" driver)

The rest is speculative. Autoweek links Protostar with a Saleen ALMS effort and has been working with Alex Job. This seems more logical for them. Several teams on the list are vaporware - or more charitably marketing fronts. These are guys like Paul Cherry, Stefan Johansson, Mario Andretti and the like, who have no teams of their own but lend their name to the titlehead in a sponsorship quest. Such efforts are notorious for coming up empty.

The more serious additions IMHO are from the existing ranks. Board members Carl Haas, U.E. Patrick and Derrick Walker being foremost, as well as Gerald Forsythe possibly running a satellite operation. After that look at who has equipment, such as Horizon (Russell Cameron, ex-PWR). In some way each of these likely will result in CCWS entries, even if CART foots the bill.

I have little doubt one or two more teams will form from scratch like Paul Gentilozzi's, but which and by who is hard to say. A more fruitful exercise might be to identify drivers with sponsorship. If a driver is interested in CART and has a briefcase of $1-2 M, then I think you'll see a deal cut for them (provided a smaller F1 team doesn't snag them first). Andre Lotterer, Alex Yoong, and Justin Wilson seem to lead the list. Ryan Hunter-Reay seems to be the only realistic American candidate.

Last edited by sgw2; 6 Dec 2002 at 05:04.
Old 6 Dec 2002, 08:03 (Ref:443954)   #19
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Good post. Welcome to the forum.
Old 6 Dec 2002, 12:41 (Ref:444126)   #20
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Welcome to the forum SGW2.

The last part of this article seems to make the rumored Johannson team seem more likely. http://www.cart.com/News/Article.asp?ID=5299 I still see 9 confirmed as Walker has said publicly he's running two cars but hasn't decided on his second driver and Patrick has also announced he's in with at least one car.

Last edited by Flatspot; 6 Dec 2002 at 12:44.
Old 6 Dec 2002, 13:03 (Ref:444142)   #21
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Flatspot, I read that piece and think something from Johansson is likely, but one thing stood out about it that seems confusing.

Recently, there was the feature by Gordon Kirby with Newman-Haas GM Brian Lisles in which Kirby stated N-H wouldn't run in the IRL, then quoted Lisles NOT saying that, all in the last few paragraphs.

Now comes this story by Oreovicz with Hunter-Reay and, again, in the last few paragraphs, the writer says Hunter-Reay will land, probably with Johansson and quotes Hunter-Reay as saying "we'll probably be announcing in a week or so."

In both cases, it begs the question, "is it spin or is it real?"
Old 6 Dec 2002, 14:44 (Ref:444246)   #22
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Yeah, everything is probably, could be, should be, would be. I don't think we'll actually know anyhing "for sure" until the green flag drops at the start of next season but I like to stay optimistic.
Old 6 Dec 2002, 17:58 (Ref:444462)   #23
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
The only sure thing is that CART will race in 2003. With 10 cars? With 15 cars? with 20 cars? We'll see...
Old 6 Dec 2002, 18:39 (Ref:444494)   #24
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sgw: Dominguez has been confirmed by Herdez for 2003.

8 cars are confirmed.

Rahal will run 2 cars in CART, even if he does run Brack in IRL.
Old 6 Dec 2002, 21:57 (Ref:444656)   #25
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Patrick has confirmed today that Servia will run the Visteon car for them in 2003. (I saw it on AR1 in the news.) No mention of a second car.

AR1 is also saying that Vasser is just about to be confirmed in the second Rahal car as Shell is re-upping with them.