Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 28 Sep 2012, 16:18 (Ref:3143290)   #1
lovef1
Rookie

lovef1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Weight factor

hello peeps,

Haven't posted in a while, how are u guys doin'? Anyways I have a race coming up and I decided to look at some data. Don't be fooled, I don't have throttle sensors and all those fancy stuff, by data I mean lap times and the weight of the drivers. Currently I am of the pace, on a good lap the deficit between me and the fastest drivers are around 1-1.5 seconds. The data also shows that the lighter drivers are more consistent on lap times. But a driver on the heavier side was able to set a really fast lap, fastest lap actually, but was inconsistent. So I was wondering how much of a factor does weight play. The thing is, most of the drivers there are on the lighter side, 60-65 kg. I am 72 kg on a good day, and on a really bad day I can get up to 75kg. I am happy with my weight. Do u guys think I should lose a bit of weight to be more competitive, or can better driving solve the issue? I am starting to get really frustrated, it's been more than a year and I don't see any improvement. The only improvement that I can see is the fact that I don't crash as often, I am now more polite on track. But the lap times just isn't there. I don't understand because i hook every apex, i'm gentle with the steering etc. Finding that last second is really, so very hard!
Old 28 Sep 2012, 20:22 (Ref:3143406)   #2
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovef1 View Post
hello peeps,

I don't understand because i hook every apex, i'm gentle with the steering etc. Finding that last second is really, so very hard!
That "last bit" is the hardest to find, most people can get a fair way up towards the pointed end of the grid by normal driving, after that it's down to money and IMHO "natural ability" although there are people (normally racing trainers) that will tell you there is no such thing.
I have known lots of drivers that have never finished in the first half dozen in 40 years !
Fitness comes into it especially in long races, if you have two drivers that can lap at the same times the fittest will normally win !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 1 Oct 2012, 02:09 (Ref:3144396)   #3
lovef1
Rookie

thanx for the response Gordon. My race yesterday was so much better than I anticipated. The whole grid was within 3 seconds from each other throughout the whole race.It's prolly because; the leader was pretty slow but had amazing racing abilities. Anyways, yeah I agree with you, money is part and parcel to motorsports, without it you won't go very far.... Again, I really appreciate your assistance...
Old 4 Oct 2012, 15:46 (Ref:3146133)   #4
Flight909
Rookie

Flight909 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What car are you racing? I mean if you race a 1500 kg car or 500 kg car, the effect of your weight will be different.

I don't know your level of skill, but I think it may not be the weight of you that affect the performance but maybe other things.
Old 4 Oct 2012, 17:30 (Ref:3146196)   #5
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
I believe this guy is in a kart.

In pure physics terms, yes, it takes longer to accelerate and slow more mass. But in the quantity your talking about, its probably not that bigger deal. Maybe 0.3s. That sort of disadvantage can be driven around to an extent.

Knowing all your previous threads, i think a helmet camera or chassis mounted camera (ContourHD or GoPro) would be a wise investment so you can watch yourself back and compare it to others. Also, so we can have a look and advise you better.
Old 5 Oct 2012, 07:57 (Ref:3146475)   #6
lovef1
Rookie

thanx for the feedback peat... i'm definitely getting a helmet cam sometime this month or the next....