Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 28 Nov 2007, 14:44 (Ref:2077315)   #26
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
You haven't got it yet, I got that email 7 days ago.
So the race is on,if I get it with-in 14 day's I'll be quite relieved,it would be nice to know that changes in efficiency have not taken place !
Old 29 Nov 2007, 11:51 (Ref:2077890)   #27
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jason,
When you get your licence application it will include an eight page, A4 'leaflet' entitled 'MSA Competition Licence Notes'. It includes three pages on the 'Medical Declarations'!

Those do include the statement that "Valvular diseases of the heart or other abnormal condition" ... "MAY prevent the granting of a Competition Licence". (my capitals)
But the actual Medical Report, that your doctor completes and signs, asks about "evidence of a physical ... condition which could, in your opinion [the doctor's] prevent the applicant from holding a competition licence". So if your doctor thinks you are now well and healthy, they can sign that off straight away. If they have any doubts then they can provide a report of your condition for the MSA's Medical Consultant. You sign Section 5 of the application to give permission for your medical records to be revealed in this way. You can even insist that you see your doctor's report before it is sent to the MSA's doctor. This is essential protection of confidential medical records.
But they will be concerned that competition will not be a danger to you or to other people. The list of other possibly medical conditions that may prevent the issue of a licence includes actual heart attacks or angina, and bypass surgery, but also epilepsy, diabetes, poor vison, double vison and abnormal colour vision. Amputees and those with paralysed limbs also come into the list, but only under a "may"! Bad luck on those affected, but you can see why they impose these restrictions.
I believe that there is or has been at least one rally driver who is/was paraplegic, no use of their legs, and as another said above, previous bypass surgery is not a ban, as long as they have made a good recovery. If you have receovered from your surgery, then I hope that your doctor will feel able to sign your report straight away.

The Medical notes also detail drugs that are banned. Many people who have had heart surgery may be on such drugs for life, for instance beta blockers. Anyone prescribed such drugs may apply for a "Therepeutic Use Certificate". I'm sorry to say that the MSA charges an additional fee for this, but it could get you a licence if you have to take such medication.

Just a tip - if you are still being 'followed-up' after your surgery, ask the doctor in the clinic if you would be fit for a licence. Or else, make an appointment to see your GP, to " discuss your condition". Ask them then, and you will get your answer. This won't get your application form signed - you will still need to pay the fee for that, but that NHS appointment will cost you nothing!

Good luck!

John
Old 29 Nov 2007, 13:03 (Ref:2077926)   #28
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder where the Theraputic Use clause draw's a line?
Could it be argued that "Speed" help's some drive quicker?
Old 29 Nov 2007, 19:33 (Ref:2078154)   #29
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
LYNX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know where to find out how long certain drugs stay in the system to give a positive drug test. Not to be recommended - but if someone wanted to race and had to stop their regular medication? All drugs have different half lives but is there a compendium or similar available.
Old 29 Nov 2007, 21:25 (Ref:2078218)   #30
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Like a pharmasutical wiki?
Old 29 Nov 2007, 21:30 (Ref:2078219)   #31
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Cannabis is supposed to be around 12 weeks, so I've heard.
Old 29 Nov 2007, 22:58 (Ref:2078291)   #32
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD
. . . I believe that there is or has been at least one rally driver who is/was paraplegic, no use of their legs, and as another said above, previous bypass surgery is not a ban, as long as they have made a good recovery. If you have recovered from your surgery, then I hope that your doctor will feel able to sign your report straight away.
. . .
In addition to the rally driver you mention I know of at least one paraplegic race driver (Renault Spider) and a karter.

I believe that their concerns focuses on the likelihood of risk to others; hence different standards for one-at-a-time competitions.

Regards

Jim
Old 29 Nov 2007, 23:17 (Ref:2078303)   #33
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Passing a drug test

http://www.ureasample.com/pass_a_dru...st_index.shtml gives more advice on how to pass a urine test than seems reasonable.

While all of of its products would be illegal to use and thus can't be recommended , it also contains some useful information about drug half life.

For cannabis, see http://www.thegooddrugsguide.com/cannabis/drugtests.htm for an interesting article.

Google drug half life to see lots more. Of course all should be read with scepticism set to high. (Bit like the F1 driver change threads here then?)

Regards

Jim
Old 30 Nov 2007, 09:27 (Ref:2078536)   #34
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Thanks Jim - I am really interested in therapeutic drugs. I did not renew my licence this year as the therapeutic list looked too daunting! I have asked a couple of friends in the medical profession and a pharmacologist but they didn't know either. It seems to be something the drug testers keep secret. For example diuretics are banned because they can be abused to mask other drug taking. I know one guy who stops his beater blockers for hypertension a few days before each race - goodness only knows what his BP does during the race. Most of the drugs on the list would not enhance a motor racing persons skill though some may of course alter reaction times, judgement etc.
Old 30 Nov 2007, 14:10 (Ref:2078702)   #35
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Sorry, spell check problems - above post #34 shoud read "Beta blockers" - I'll never live it down!
Old 30 Nov 2007, 17:39 (Ref:2078877)   #36
lynxlad
Rookie

England
lincs
lynxlad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
does anyone know if they are conducting med checks for licence at the autosport show and if so who is the medic and how much
thanxs
Old 1 Dec 2007, 18:24 (Ref:2079456)   #37
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Please will you note that therapeutic drugs in the UK are GP prescribed which may differ from USA sites. Recreational drugs in the UK would be illegal eg cannabis. crack. heroin etc Sorry if I'm not up to date on street vocab. Prescribed medications require a certificate from the MSA. I mention this because it is not a good idea to stop medications in advance of racing as they may still be traceable in a drugs test and if prescribed, i.e. for high blood pressure you could risk a heart attack or stroke needlessly for the sake of the correct documentation and small(ish) fee.
Old 4 Dec 2007, 15:12 (Ref:2081427)   #38
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
So the race is on,if I get it with-in 14 day's I'll be quite relieved,it would be nice to know that changes in efficiency have not taken place !
Did I win, mine was left on the doorstep by the postie today
Old 4 Dec 2007, 20:57 (Ref:2081639)   #39
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife

Yes,see'ing as I got the one thousandth post elsewhere,I phoned and asked for it to be delayed. All we have to do now Falcie,is wait till next year!
Old 5 Dec 2007, 12:53 (Ref:2082071)   #40
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Yes,see'ing as I got the one thousandth post elsewhere,I phoned and asked for it to be delayed. All we have to do now Falcie,is wait till next year!
Got it this morning Falcie,nice new yella'un.Good that the MSA did as I asked.
Old 5 Dec 2007, 21:42 (Ref:2082428)   #41
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Got mine as well, without having a new medical !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 6 Dec 2007, 15:28 (Ref:2082882)   #42
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER
Got mine as well, without having a new medical !

Is this the reason for the hair do Gordon?
An attempt to disguise yourself so one would not be needed,or because you wanted us to think you are younger.Yes,you are worth it
Old 6 Dec 2007, 21:51 (Ref:2083185)   #43
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
All I have to do now is find that life policy and go for quick trip in the canoe .
I'm thinking of racing in South America next year
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 7 Dec 2007, 11:36 (Ref:2083520)   #44
steveng
Racer

England
Beverley East Yorkshire
steveng should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having bypass surgery does not disqualify you from racing, you can even get an International licence. As a previous correspondent has mentioned it may disqulify you. The point is that you have to have a normal stress related ECG. I have a good friend on whom I did a triple bypass some eleven years ago. I do his Race Medical and ECG with increasing anxiety every other year and he always passes. The grafts must be keeping the rain out.
In some respects I worry more about the unhealthy bunch out there who haven't had byass grafting. God knows what their coronaries are like!
Old 7 Dec 2007, 12:12 (Ref:2083558)   #45
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveng
In some respects I worry more about the unhealthy bunch out there who haven't had byass grafting. God knows what their coronaries are like!
Couldn't agree more, that's why I always pleased once Dad had had his done.
Old 8 Nov 2012, 10:33 (Ref:3164044)   #46
ra1977
Rookie

ra1977 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Colour Vision

Does anyone know what is the exact MSA requirement regarding colour vision?

I have slight colour blindness in that I can't see all the shapes in the opticians colour blindness test (the one with lots of little dots). But I can completely tell the difference between a bright red flag, a bright green one and a bright yellow one etc. Do this mean I can't get a race license?
Old 8 Nov 2012, 10:59 (Ref:3164052)   #47
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ra1977 View Post

I have slight colour blindness in that I can't see all the shapes in the opticians colour blindness test (the one with lots of little dots). But I can completely tell the difference between a bright red flag, a bright green one and a bright yellow one etc. Do this mean I can't get a race license?
unfortunately flags aren't always that bold or bright colour-wise ... and there are some other colours to also distinguish between

Good luck, hope it works out for you
Old 8 Nov 2012, 12:41 (Ref:3164075)   #48
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ra1977 View Post

You may have to go to MSA house for their test if you can't pass the doctor's test. I think they just show you the colours you need to know. I know someone who has difficultytelling the difference between red, green and yellow and was OK doing an MSA test. One thing to remember is that a green flag is never waved so a waved flag should only be red or yellow (apart from the first yellow) which only leaves you being able to differentiate between blue and the other colours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deley View Post
unfortunately flags aren't always that bold or bright colour-wise ... and there are some other colours to also distinguish between

Good luck, hope it works out for you
Yes, and sometimes a faded yellow can be mistaken for a faded green in the wrong light or vice versa.
Old 8 Nov 2012, 13:19 (Ref:3164081)   #49
mini1400
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chelmsford, Essex
mini1400 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
One thing to remember is that a green flag is never waved
Apart from the first lap after a Safety Car...
Old 8 Nov 2012, 14:17 (Ref:3164100)   #50
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
don't fret, you'll be OK.
I'm colour deficient and fail loads of the dot-pictures but it's not a problem. AFAIK there is no specific MSA-mandated test so it's not a PASS / FAIL situation. In the appropriate section on the medical declaration my GP writes something like ' has mild colour deficiency but is able to distinguish primary colours' and there has never been any query.