Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 8 Sep 2008, 16:30 (Ref:2284834)   #1
Lazy
Rookie

Germany
Lazy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ALMS safety car rules (newbie question)

I'm a noob what comes to modern sportscar racing and I have just started following ALMS seriously. But pitting rules under safety car are totally confusing for me. Can someone explain how it works? What is the difference to F1 for example?
Old 8 Sep 2008, 18:04 (Ref:2284910)   #2
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The race is brought under control (full course flag), while at the same time the pits are closed (sometimes this is done first). The leader is picked up by the safety car and the field is qued, once this is accomplished then the pits are re-opened and the leader is the first car offered entry. You do not have to pit, when the cars that have pitted re-join the que then everyone ahead of the current race leader (which may have changed through the pit process) are waved around to the back of the que. Once that is accomplished, and any track matters taken care of, racing is resumed.
Hope that explains it for you!

L.P.
Old 9 Sep 2008, 02:33 (Ref:2285237)   #3
fjn356
Rookie

fjn356 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So does this mean that a lap may be gained by cars that do not pit and that also past pit exit prior to the now leading car? This is my understanding, but I must admit that I am often confused, especially after the 8th or so hour of a race. Thank you RLM, otherwise I would never know whats going on.
Old 9 Sep 2008, 03:36 (Ref:2285256)   #4
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjn356
So does this mean that a lap may be gained by cars that do not pit and that also past pit exit prior to the now leading car? This is my understanding, but I must admit that I am often confused, especially after the 8th or so hour of a race. Thank you RLM, otherwise I would never know whats going on.
Cars that are lap(s) down, can get a lap back. It is fairly straight forward and simple, no matter when during the race it may occur.

L.P.
Old 9 Sep 2008, 21:23 (Ref:2286038)   #5
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From the IMSA Code...

Quote:
6.2 SAFETY CAR

6.2.1 The Race Director may dispatch the safety car at any time during an event in order to correct a hazardous situation. Drivers will be warned that a safety car will be used when all turn stations display two stationary yellow flags, and when IMSA’s Yellow Condition System is in use, drivers may also be warned by yellow flashing or stationary lights. No passing will be permitted anywhere on the circuit. The safety car will take the course ahead of the current leader, if possible. All contestants will then follow the safety car in
single file.

6.2.2 The primary purpose of using the safety car is to create a traffic interval on the circuit so that marshals may handle emergencies quicker and more safely; therefore, it is essential that stragglers catch up with the field as quickly as possible. It is forbidden for a Driver to pass the safety car unless he/she is instructed to do so by an IMSA official.

6.2.3 Competitors may enter the pits while the safety car is on course, but they may not reenter the racing circuit unless directed by a marshal. They must fall into line at the rear of the field after it has passed the pit area.

6.2.4 N/A

6.2.5 The Race Director will instruct the safety car to extinguish its safety lights to indicate that the end of safety car intervention is about to occur. The safety car will exit the course at the entrance to pit lane.

6.2.6 On the restart, the green flag will be displayed at the Start/Finish line, the yellow flags dropped, and where IMSA’s Yellow Condition System is in use, the lights will be extinguished, and racing may begin again.

6.2.7 Special safety car procedures for a given event will be discussed at the Drivers’ briefing.
But wait, there's more...

From the ALMS STANDING SUPPLEMENTARY REGULATIONS (of the IMSA Code)...

Quote:
ART. 23 - NEUTRALIZATION OF THE RACE: "SAFETY CAR"
23.1 Responsibility: The Safety Car may be brought into operation to neutralize the race at the discretion of the Race Director.

23.2 - Identification: One Safety-Car fitted with revolving yellow lights.

23.3 - Procedure:

23.3.1 The Race Director may dispatch the Safety Car at any time during an event in order to correct a hazardous situation. The Safety Car will pace the field for a minimum of 2 laps.

23.3.2 Drivers will be warned that the Safety Car will be used when all turn stations display two stationary yellow flags or one yellow flag and an SC Board. Where IMSA’s Yellow Condition System is in use, Drivers will also be warned with illuminated yellow lights.

23.3.3 No passing is permitted anywhere on the circuit. If possible, the Safety Car will enter the course ahead of the leader, who must slow down to facilitate this.

23.3.4 Failure of the overall leader to slow down and take up position behind the Safety Car may result in a minimum one (1) lap penalty.

23.3.5 All competitors will then follow the Safety Car in single file; stragglers should catch up with the field as quickly as possible consistent with safety.

23.3.6 Competitors may not pass the Safety Car unless they are specifically waved by. The Safety Car will pace the field for a minimum of two laps.

23.4 Pit Stops:

23.4.1 The pit entrance will be closed from the beginning of the Safety Car intervention until the Safety Car has picked up the overall leader and main field. The Race Director will then instruct officials to re-open the pits. Any car which enters while the pits are closed and receives assistance before the pits have been reopened will receive a penalty of a minimum of one lap.

23.5 End of Operation:

23.5.1 When the Race Director has determined that the course is clear and acceptable for the continuation of competition, he will instruct the wave-by of any cars which are between the Safety Car and the overall race leader.

23.5.2 If during the process, the leader enters the pits, the Safety Car will pickup the car which remains on the track that was the most immediately/directly behind the leader at the time the wave-by was requested.

23.5.3 When the wave-by has been completed, the Race Director will instruct the Safety Car to extinguish its flashing yellow lights the next time it passes Start/Finish signifying that this will start the final lap of this Safety Car
intervention. The Safety Car will exit the course at the entrance to pit lane.

23.5.4 The car that is then immediately behind the Safety Car prior to the restart must maintain the speed of the Safety Car until the green flag is displayed, and where in use IMSA’s Yellow Condition System lights will be extinguished, at which time acceleration and racing may begin. Any manipulation of this pace will be considered an infraction of these rules.

23.5.5 The wave-by procedure will not be implemented for any caution which occurs during the final 30 minutes of a timed race or the final 15 laps of a lap race.

23.6 The Race Director may modify this procedure, if at his sole discretion, he believes conditions exist which warrant such modification, including not picking up the overall race leader at the beginning of the intervention if immediate dispatching is deemed critical.
Old 10 Sep 2008, 02:49 (Ref:2286181)   #6
fjn356
Rookie

fjn356 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Thank you.
Old 10 Sep 2008, 03:33 (Ref:2286200)   #7
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.imsaracing.net/imsaNS2.cf...dexnewalms.htm
Old 10 Sep 2008, 21:26 (Ref:2286751)   #8
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Without wanting to derail this thread, am I correct in thinking at LM24 and Nurburgring 24 (and similar races on very long tracks) they use more than one safety car? How the hell would that work?
Old 10 Sep 2008, 21:59 (Ref:2286774)   #9
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
Without wanting to derail this thread, am I correct in thinking at LM24 and Nurburgring 24 (and similar races on very long tracks) they use more than one safety car? How the hell would that work?
Hmm, not wanting to derail this thread, let me just say that the ALMS and LMS apply safety cars in much different ways. Just ask Hindy!

L.P.
Old 10 Sep 2008, 23:29 (Ref:2286805)   #10
Pitcontrol
Rookie

Pitcontrol should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know about the 24 Hours of Nurburgring, but at the 24 Hours of Le Mans they use 2 Safety Cars and Race Control keeps in touch with both cars location and speed.
Old 11 Sep 2008, 00:15 (Ref:2286822)   #11
Duff_44
Racer

United States
Bristol, CT
Duff_44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitcontrol
I don't know about the 24 Hours of Nurburgring, but at the 24 Hours of Le Mans they use 2 Safety Cars and Race Control keeps in touch with both cars location and speed.
They don't use a 'safety car' at the Nurburgring 24 hours... they only have (the equivalent of) local yellow flags, and block off as much if the track as necessary to clean up the wreck. You must drive past it at "walking pace".

The regulations for 2008 are here:
http://adac.24h-rennen.de/uploads/me...ng_2008_01.pdf
Article 31

NOTE: This is a VERY large .pdf file...
Old 11 Sep 2008, 07:16 (Ref:2286904)   #12
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
Hmm, not wanting to derail this thread, let me just say that the ALMS and LMS apply safety cars in much different ways. Just ask Hindy!

L.P.
LMS clearly are not as adept at controlling the race in safety car periods as ALMS as there have been more than one occasion where the race has been spoilt by poor safety car control.

However the 2 safety car rule is of course necessary at Le Mans due to the length of the track (over 8 miles) as otherwise it would take far too long to neutralise the race and allow safety crew to deal with incidents safely.
Old 11 Sep 2008, 10:02 (Ref:2287004)   #13
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think one year (2003 IIRC) at Le Mans there were three safety cars, one at the start finish, one at arnarge and another at the first chicane IIRC.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 12 Sep 2008, 03:39 (Ref:2287721)   #14
prototype
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
prototype should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Correct. Now there are just two, and I don't think they pick up the leader.

This year at Le Mans, the first safety car gained about a minute on the other while they were cleaning up the Pescarolo accident.

I think the trick at Le Mans is to pit and get out before the marshals hold you for the next safety car to come by.