f1madmatt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Suprisingly busy day at Village. Retirements, spinners, and lots of oil down
Old 29 Oct 2011, 19:04 (Ref:2978673)   #27
alimcb
Racer

Scotland
Northampton
alimcb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What I can never comprehend is where the time goes at this meeting. 6 hours just seems to disappear!
Old 29 Oct 2011, 20:45 (Ref:2978690)   #28
Bodger
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
Bodger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alimcb View Post
What I can never comprehend is where the time goes at this meeting. 6 hours just seems to disappear!
I have to agree with you there. 1st time I've done this meeting in the 3yrs that I have been doing marshalling. Was quiet at Luffield Out but was with good company. The day went so fast......
Old 29 Oct 2011, 23:44 (Ref:2978735)   #29
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Didn't spot you over there - was at Luffield in.

Slightly disadvantaged by the red flag. Had to be somewhere in the evening and knew with a guaranteed 5:15 finish I could make it. Hadn't reckoned on the possibility of a restart + ½ hour delay. Worth it though for yet another enjoyable Silverstone enduro. If I hadn't been late for where I was going I would have sworn it took no longer than 3 hours.
Old 30 Oct 2011, 08:16 (Ref:2978797)   #30
bjw970s
Rookie

United Kingdom
BUCKS
bjw970s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Post Birkett Thanks

Just a quick note to say thanks to all the Marshall's both at Birkett and, as it was the season closer, for your support throughout the year at our RAF race challenge events at Angelsey, Donington Park, Cadwell Park, Pembrey, Oulton Park, Lydden Hill & Snetterton

Yesterday the rain stayed away, mostly!, and the very quick an efficient efforts of all the support crews ensured a quick clear up (which included one of our cars) at the start incident.

6-hours on your feet with 63 cars running is a full on day so thanks for your support.

Brian Watson
Team Manager, RAF Motorsports Team 58, 6-hour Handicap Winners 2011.

&

RAF Race Challenge Competitor No 49
Old 30 Oct 2011, 13:18 (Ref:2978962)   #31
Stone-kicker
Racer

England
Stone-kicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Birkett photos (not mine) including start line shunt.

http://www.pistonpics.com/portfolio232141.html

Old 30 Oct 2011, 14:22 (Ref:2978985)   #32
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What a fantastic mix of cars and nice to see some familiar faces out and about. Looks like a great event.
Old 30 Oct 2011, 15:49 (Ref:2979005)   #33
sunny.traveller
Racer

sunny.traveller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had an excellent day flagging at Becketts - and the time certainly flew by. Five years ago, before i started marshalling, I would have never thought it possible to spend the day outside, in a chilly breeze, at a 6-hour motor race. Now I can't think of anything better than the Birkett Relay - one of my favourite meetings of the year.

I have to ask though, was the red flag after (I'm told) only 6 seconds of racing, a record for any race? Hope all involved are just fine, with only injured pride.
Old 30 Oct 2011, 16:09 (Ref:2979011)   #34
IAN #51
Racer

England
WALSALL WEST MIDS
IAN #51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Many thanks to all you guys and gals in orange from all at the Roadrunners team your efforts are as always appreciated

Ian

Team 49
Old 30 Oct 2011, 17:20 (Ref:2979051)   #35
Joyce George
Veteran

England
South Lincolnshire
Joyce George should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny.traveller View Post
Had an excellent day flagging at Becketts - and the time certainly flew by. Five years ago, before i started marshalling, I would have never thought it possible to spend the day outside, in a chilly breeze, at a 6-hour motor race. Now I can't think of anything better than the Birkett Relay - one of my favourite meetings of the year.

I have to ask though, was the red flag after (I'm told) only 6 seconds of racing, a record for any race? Hope all involved are just fine, with only injured pride.
No, sorry, not a record! We had to throw a red flag as the 5 second board on the start line went out at Cadwell last year!
Old 30 Oct 2011, 17:50 (Ref:2979074)   #36
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyceswan View Post
No, sorry, not a record! We had to throw a red flag as the 5 second board on the start line went out at Cadwell last year!
I do recall a race at Mallory being red flagged on the green flag lap a few years back.
Old 30 Oct 2011, 18:16 (Ref:2979089)   #37
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
I do recall a race at Mallory being red flagged on the green flag lap a few years back.
I remember that - American sedan cars race, I think, with an invited guest driving his flash open top Corvette-type thing for the parade lap and spun it at the Elbow. We didn't laugh. Much.
Old 30 Oct 2011, 19:33 (Ref:2979139)   #38
Stone-kicker
Racer

England
Or the Vauxhall Astra that rolled on the green flag lap at Donington a few years back...
Old 30 Oct 2011, 22:36 (Ref:2979247)   #39
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Two in a day at the Esses IIRC. Rover 216i did it in their race and the Astra in ProdSaloons. I went to the driver of the Beemer that was behind him who wasn't going anywhere to find the reason was he was crying with laughter and utterly unable to drive. When he got himself together he said 'That was going to be his first race', at which point he lost it again!
Old 31 Oct 2011, 10:43 (Ref:2979490)   #40
juliet
Rookie

England
Daventry
juliet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had a good weekend at copse out, very quiet apart from the considerable jog up to the startlline to assist with debris collection.
Nice to see such a mix of cars and as far as i know everyone finished even if a few were nursing one car home!
Old 31 Oct 2011, 12:58 (Ref:2979556)   #41
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Completely forgot to say in all the happy posting a big thank you to the 750MC for our snazzy sandwich cool boxes, and also for the goodies (soup, crisps, sausage roll, chocolate) contained within. The goodies would have been even better had I looked in the bag on Saturday instead of leaving it in the car and opening it on Sunday! Still, the sausage roll was still fresh and delicious as a mid-morning snack.
Old 31 Oct 2011, 13:32 (Ref:2979577)   #42
juliet
Rookie

England
Daventry
juliet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
a big thank you to the 750MC for our snazzy sandwich cool boxes, and also for the goodies (soup, crisps, sausage roll, chocolate) contained within.
the cool bags are awesome and the food was much appreciated
Old 31 Oct 2011, 14:05 (Ref:2979594)   #43
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
An excellent day at Maggots and I have to agree, why does a usual days marshalling seem to take to long, yet the practice and the race for the Birkett seems to go so quickly.

Thank you to 750MC for the cool back and the lunch. Roll on Birkett 2012!
Old 31 Oct 2011, 15:44 (Ref:2979643)   #44
Stone-kicker
Racer

England
Quote:
Thank you to 750MC for the cool back and the lunch.
We were obviously facing a different direction as we had cool fronts.

Old 31 Oct 2011, 16:34 (Ref:2979661)   #45
MaxxUK
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
MaxxUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A big thank you to all you guys and gals for a great job during the Birkett. Thankfully I didn't 'need' any personal attention this time.

As ever, I have some onboard videos to give you a taste of what it was like from the cockpit of my MR2 Mk2. I was fortunate once again to be the last driver so finished the race. The mad guy waving from a Matt Black MR2 was me

A bit of a view of the startline accident from one of our drivers. You can't see much but YOU DO see a wheel about 20ft in the air .. scarey stuff and as others have said, vindicates the rule where we arent allowed on the pit wall duing the start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC6KmSOpQFU

This was my last lap (which also turned out to be my fastest) plus the pitlane parade which is one of my favorite things about this type of racing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-oJdFqCHkI

Little bit of footage from the pitwall during the race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlDp6Hxf1Vs

I almost needed you when my wheel cracked right through 3 of the 5 spokes, I didnt know this at the time, could just feel the vibration (check the picture out at the start of the video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mjB5WUdUKA

And finally a full lap onboard the E36 BMW of one of our drivers, his fastest lap of the race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzK28oQQh8M

Malcolm
Old 31 Oct 2011, 18:40 (Ref:2979720)   #46
Stone-kicker
Racer

England
Good vision and a nice sensible piece of avoidance, loosing a few places at the start of a 6 hour race really isn't that important.

Old 1 Nov 2011, 08:11 (Ref:2979996)   #47
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Terrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTerrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxUK View Post
Little bit of footage from the pitwall during the race.
oooh - naughty boy - shhhh - we won't tell Nina

Seriously great footage - very lucky regarding the wheel. Earlier in the year I was marshaling up at Becketts and a Sports 2000 had a rear wheel fail and break up - he was pitched at 90 degrees straight into Maggots wall. Nasty crash but he was OK.

I think we shared a garage - we were Team 40 with the MK1's. Wanted to have a chat but somehow didn't get around to it.
Old 1 Nov 2011, 09:23 (Ref:2980020)   #48
MaxxUK
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
MaxxUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible-Tones View Post
I think we shared a garage - we were Team 40 with the MK1's. Wanted to have a chat but somehow didn't get around to it.
It was a busy few hours wasn't it. I offered to put my spare video system in one of the other guys' cars and ended up being pretty busy sorting everything out. It was an odd concept for me (have never done the Birkett before but done lots of 24's) - normally when your not driving there is no car to look after (as it's on circuit) but I had 2 to look after.

The Mk1s looked great, very well turned out.

Malcolm
Old 1 Nov 2011, 11:49 (Ref:2980091)   #49
f1madmatt
Racer

England
Leicester
f1madmatt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
Completely forgot to say in all the happy posting a big thank you to the 750MC for our snazzy sandwich cool boxes, and also for the goodies (soup, crisps, sausage roll, chocolate) contained within. The goodies would have been even better had I looked in the bag on Saturday instead of leaving it in the car and opening it on Sunday! Still, the sausage roll was still fresh and delicious as a mid-morning snack.
I Did exactly the same thing
Old 6 Nov 2011, 22:21 (Ref:2982494)   #50
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bit of TV coverage for the interested...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPQWChIt4p4