Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 4 Aug 2005, 23:30 (Ref:1372416)   #1
Timu
Veteran

New Zealand
Waiuku, New Zealand
Timu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GRM announce Scifleet/Holdsworth...

Scifleet and Holdsworth join GRM for Sandown and Bathurst endurance classics
Release Date: 04/08/2005
Garry Rogers Motorsport has opted to once again give young drivers a chance for the all-important V8 Supercar endurance races – the Sandown 500 and Bathurst 1000.

HPDC V8 Supercar Series standouts Phil Scifleet and Lee Holdsworth will join Repco Valvoline Cummins Commodore regulars Cameron McConville and Andrew Jones in the team for the Betta Electrical Sandown 500 in September and Super Cheap Auto 1000 at Bathurst in October.

The final driver pairings for the #33 and #34 Commodores will be announced at a later date.

Team owner Garry Rogers said the squad has a good mix of youth and experience for the endurance classics.

“The Development Series has proven to be a good place for emerging talent to show through and it’s a place I’ve always kept my eye on,” said Rogers.

“Our team is clearly by far and away the only V8 Supercar team that has since its inception given the younger and less experienced drivers a chance to show what they can do. Many of them won the Formula Ford championship with us and have done great things in V8 Supercar racing.

“While we’ve struggled for speed over the last two years, we have a history of consistently running among the top three at Bathurst since 1998.

“Undoubtedly Cameron and Garth (Tander) would have finished second last year had it not been for Winterbottom cleaning up Tander with 25 laps to go.

“GRM’s endurance record speaks for itself – you have to remember that our team ran the Holden Monaros that won the 24 Hour races in 2002 and 2003 in addition to winning the Bathurst 1000 in 2000. Our cars have been able to go the distance.

“Both Phil and Lee have shown some good turns of speed and level-headed approaches to their racing. Those sort of attributes are what we need in drivers to take to Sandown and Bathurst.”

Scifleet has been driving an older model Falcon for Paul Cruickshank Racing in this year’s HPDC V8 Supercar Series, regularly giving his rivals who are mounted with the latest model cars a hurry-up.

The Sydneysider sits fifth in the series, which also races as a support at Bathurst, meaning Scifleet will have plenty of race miles at Mount Panorama.

The 28-year-old began his career in open wheeler Formula Fords, before moving to England and winning the national class of the 1997 British Formula 3 Championship. He has made four starts in the Bathurst 1000 with a best finish of 19th in 2001.

“I’ve been working hard to show what I can do in the HPDC Series for a Level 1 team in the V8 Supercar Championship Series so it’s nice to be recognised for my hard work,” said Scifleet.

“Lee and I have raced with and against one another before, so at least there’s some familiarity with who I’m driving with. We will be going to the enduros to keep our noses clean and have consistent races. If we achieve that then we’ll get a good result.”

Holdsworth, 22, is this year performing double-duty, competing in the Australian Formula Ford Championship in addition to selected rounds of the HPDC V8 Supercar Series for the Smith’s Trucks team.

Debuting in Commodore Cup in 2001, Holdsworth moved into the HPDC V8 Supercar Series last year and finished third at Queensland Raceway.

He and Scifleet in fact shared a car in last year’s Sandown 500, though retired in the race’s early stages. Holdsworth then made his Bathurst debut last year, sharing a Commodore with Mark Noske.

“It’s a brilliant opportunity and I’m quite excited about it,” said Holdsworth.

“It came up very quickly over the last three weeks. It’s something I didn’t imagine would happen. To be with an experienced team like GRM is great.

“I was able to do quite a few laps at Winton and was able to get down to some respectable times. The car felt very comfortable. It’s quite a jump into the V8 Supercar Championship Series from the HPDC Series.

“Our aim is to finish both races and if we could be in the top 10 that would be a tremendous result.”
Like Scifleet, Holdsworth will be performing ‘double duty’ at both events. He will drive in the Australian Formula Ford Championship round that supports Sandown as well as again drive for the Smiths Trucks team in the HPDC round at Bathurst.

The duo sampled a GRM Commodore for the first time at a team test session at Winton on Tuesday of this week, running laps in Jones’ #34 Commodore.

BOTH HAVE BEEN IMPRESSIVE THIS YEAR.
Old 5 Aug 2005, 03:08 (Ref:1372510)   #2
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They could have done a lot worse.

I was quite impressed when Holdsworth had a brief run in the main game last year.

I think they might both do well.
Old 5 Aug 2005, 08:39 (Ref:1372640)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If the 2nd car gets the same level of silver service as the first... this has not historically been the case... indeed it would not be a surprise for either pilot to be quicker in their respective HPDC cars with 100kg more aboard than in this beast at Bathurst
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 5 Aug 2005, 13:55 (Ref:1372928)   #4
kmsport
Veteran

Australia
SA
kmsport has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
either will probably be quicker than the troubled young Andy, though.
Old 5 Aug 2005, 14:36 (Ref:1372956)   #5
Peter_Maxwwell
Racer

Australia
Peter_Maxwwell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the both of them will have something to prove. Holdsworth has only had limited outings in the v8's admitedly in a morris chassis, which are supposedly some of the best... but he has proved that he is quick, and Scifleet, even though he's in an ex Stones car run by PCR (the most professional non level one team in HPDC) he has done bloody well against the newer cars - that car has something like 7 FULL seasons behind it... holdsworths cars has about 2 or 3...

Either way, if they have equal cars to the regular GRM guys then I honestly think they will be close... at least to Jonesy...
Old 6 Aug 2005, 07:34 (Ref:1373571)   #6
bondy_racing
Racer

Australia
Sydney,NSW,Australia
bondy_racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scifleets car is in its 5th season.Holdsworth has also proved himself a good talent with some decent results in an Ex GMS VT.
#28 Arrow Australia, Hurst Race Engines, Kart One Racing, Sik-Fx Helmet Painting
Old 6 Aug 2005, 08:21 (Ref:1373592)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And the 2nd GRM chassis, the 3rd in the fleet, not the 2nd, is the first VY built by that team, as run by Mr McConville last season. It is 3 seasons old now...

I doubt Mr Jones forgot how to drive, or indeed somehow lost a couple of seconds of pace around Eastern Creek....

Mr SciFleet is running the Doric PCR AU strongly, the car is consistent more than anything, and on occassion has some genuine pace with the SBR grunt under the bonnet.

Mr Holdsworth has the benefit of PMM support in his HPDC campaign, with the #67 Sirromet car's race engineer also looking after the Smiths Trucks entry on HPDC race weekends.

It will be a little different at GRM...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 7 Aug 2005, 02:05 (Ref:1374074)   #8
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
I doubt Mr Jones forgot how to drive, or indeed somehow lost a couple of seconds of pace around Eastern Creek....
That GTR is probably one of the truest statements you have ever made. I suspect it is more to do with the team than the driver.
The current number one steerer comes to mind as one who has looked mediocre in the second car previously. Jamie Whincup is another, there does seem to be a common trend doesn't there. No wonder Kim Jones hair is getting thin, if he pulls any more out he will look like Brad.