Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 28 Feb 2012, 12:54 (Ref:3032396)   #1
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hamilton moves for 2013 season?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17146175

I realise this season has yet to get underway, but Bernie Ecclestone's comments on Lewis Hamilton's possible move from McLaren if this season turns out not as good as hoped for, begs the question as to were he would go?

Red Bull, it is said were not interested last season. Ferrari? They have Alonso and we know what having FA and LH in the same team was like.

Any logical thoughts?

P
Old 28 Feb 2012, 13:27 (Ref:3032409)   #2
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
McLaren have been one of the only teams to be consistently at or near the top for a long time, although that said, one gets the impression they really ought to have won more championships. Somewhat amazing that they haven't won the constructors' championship since 1998.

The only team that has a similar track record of always being there or thereabouts is Ferrari.

I don't seem him moving basically.
Old 28 Feb 2012, 13:46 (Ref:3032417)   #3
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I can't see him going to Ferrari as long as Alonso is there, same goes for Red Bull as long as Vettel is there. Staying at McLaren looks like his best option unless Mercedes show some serious improvement - then he could slot in there when Schumacher retires. Unlikely though I'd have thought.
Old 28 Feb 2012, 13:48 (Ref:3032418)   #4
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are only 3 teams that look capable of winning races on a regular basis in the forseeable future: Ferrari, McLaren & Red Bull.

Ferrari are a no go while Alonso holds a seat. Red Bull could be interested Webber is dispensable, but do they want to alienate Vettel?

I think he will stay at McLaren but there will be the usul game of charades by both parties over the next couple of months.
Old 28 Feb 2012, 14:03 (Ref:3032425)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I think that he'll stay at McLaren, and I think that it's most likely Button will move on to pastures new. Particularly if he beats Hamilton again and the McLaren is still not a car that wins regularly. But it all really depends on what happens this season as to who goes where.
Old 28 Feb 2012, 15:30 (Ref:3032487)   #6
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Its all rumour and guesswork. Logically Webbers Red Bull seat is the only viable option - I would imagine that a move anywhere else would be a move backwards.
Old 28 Feb 2012, 16:37 (Ref:3032509)   #7
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
maybe a bit cynical but if he were to leave Mclaren he's got to go where the money is no?
i certainly dont see him going anywhere he is not making more than the other driver. it not a dig on him as i find his all or nothing approach to winning admirable but i just dont see him going anywhere where there is an emphasis on bonuses or incentives which is (from what i have read) the situation at Red Bull.
that said its got to be between Mclaren and Mercedes imo.
Old 28 Feb 2012, 18:51 (Ref:3032578)   #8
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Its all rumour and guesswork. Logically Webbers Red Bull seat is the only viable option - I would imagine that a move anywhere else would be a move backwards.
I don't think that Red Bull would have him. They certainly don't need him, they already have a double world champion and they have drivers waiting in the wings due to their driver devolpement program.

The only way i can see Lewis in a Red Bull in 2013 is if Seb were to leave!

I get the impression that Lewis is sometimes unhappy at McLaren, but it seems that it really is his best option.
Old 28 Feb 2012, 19:43 (Ref:3032596)   #9
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Lewis will stay at McLaren, he is one of the most gifted drivers they have ever had.

I predict he will win at least two more WDC with them..
Old 28 Feb 2012, 20:33 (Ref:3032617)   #10
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Lewis will stay at McLaren, he is one of the most gifted drivers they have ever had.

I predict he will win at least two more WDC with them..
I think that Lewis expected he'd have won those by now too.

Trouble for him is, the Newey/Vettel partnership is stronger.
Old 28 Feb 2012, 20:56 (Ref:3032631)   #11
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Newey/Vettel combination is indeed a tough test but I agree that he will stay a while yet at McLaren and I too believe he will bag another WDC at least, with them.

Still we have the new season ahead of us to see how things shape up.
Old 28 Feb 2012, 21:16 (Ref:3032637)   #12
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'd be surprised if Jenson beat him again in the standings this season, I must say.
Old 28 Feb 2012, 22:03 (Ref:3032658)   #13
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Much depends on how good he is at the start of the season. If he or the car isn't performing then who knows? I'm pretty certain if will never sign for Ferrari though.
Old 28 Feb 2012, 23:18 (Ref:3032705)   #14
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

I think if the car isn't performing (by which I mean it is more recalcitrant than last year's), Hamilton will likely cope with it better than Button, but there is this question mark over Hamilton's form (and major congratulations to Button for his current form). Many of us were proven wrong to think it unlikely Button would beat Hamilton last year, so it could possibly happen again, but I think Hamilton's too good for that, although as he's been a disappointment recently, he could (somewhat amazingly) be so again. It will be one of the season's fascinating points, I suspect (unless Hamilton romps away from Button from the start).
Old 28 Feb 2012, 23:58 (Ref:3032725)   #15
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I'd be surprised if Jenson beat him again in the standings this season, I must say.
I'd say it very much depends on whether his head is in the game or not. It'll be interesting to see whether he has one person (a constant/a sounding board/an advisor) around him to keep him involved ... if there isn't then I can't see him doing well this season.
Old 29 Feb 2012, 00:16 (Ref:3032743)   #16
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Growing up in karting, he looked to have a lot of bravado, but perhaps this is a front for a much more fragile character than he first appeared.
Old 29 Feb 2012, 01:31 (Ref:3032772)   #17
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Well, I wouldn't be. Although the cars are probably more to Hamilton's liking this season (reduced downforce on rear wheels, hence more oversteer), it's quite possible that this seasons Pirelli tyres will play a big part, particularly as he went so well on the hard tyre last season and now the hard tyre is last seasons medium tyre. Which, ironically, could help other drivers (Massa) and teams (Mercedes, Ferrari) that were caught out by the hard tyre last season.

I understand that Hamilton wants to make a decision on where he will be in 2013 before anyone has the chance to ask him that question during the season. So we may not have long to wait.
Old 29 Feb 2012, 02:08 (Ref:3032778)   #18
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Growing up in karting, he looked to have a lot of bravado, but perhaps this is a front for a much more fragile character than he first appeared.
We all are fragile.....
Old 29 Feb 2012, 02:10 (Ref:3032779)   #19
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Well, I wouldn't be. Although the cars are probably more to Hamilton's liking this season (reduced downforce on rear wheels, hence more oversteer), it's quite possible that this seasons Pirelli tyres will play a big part, particularly as he went so well on the hard tyre last season and now the hard tyre is last seasons medium tyre. Which, ironically, could help other drivers (Massa) and teams (Mercedes, Ferrari) that were caught out by the hard tyre last season.

I understand that Hamilton wants to make a decision on where he will be in 2013 before anyone has the chance to ask him that question during the season. So we may not have long to wait.

There are only two other places that he could go....
Old 29 Feb 2012, 06:16 (Ref:3032830)   #20
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
There are only two other places that he could go....
NASCAR and Indy?
Old 29 Feb 2012, 08:07 (Ref:3032860)   #21
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Hamilton always has this tag that he 'abuses his tires'. But that's hardly so. And to be fair, how many DNF's did Button have last year? Spa was a weird race, Brazil wasn't his fault, and Canada could be argued to be both the driver's faults. Take those three DNF's away and Button doesn't beat Hamilton. Sure you can say that it was his fault, but Button didn't beat him on performance. He basically beat himself IMO. This rumor is stupid anyway and no one cares what Bernie thinks.
Old 29 Feb 2012, 08:42 (Ref:3032873)   #22
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
We all are fragile.....
I mean I think he's a bit sensitive, an 'arm round the shoulder' driver who thrives when he feels the world isn't against him. Whereas Button looks to be delighted to be in winning cars. Even when he was at Honda, he stuck it out. He did look like he was getting peed off in the end, but he never let it affect his driving.
Old 29 Feb 2012, 11:36 (Ref:3032956)   #23
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Sure you can say that it was his fault, but Button didn't beat him on performance. He basically beat himself IMO. This rumor is stupid anyway and no one cares what Bernie thinks.
Button had Lewis beaten on many ocaasions IIRC mainly through better tyre or race management. That might not be as easy to achieve this year!

However one of the drives of 2011 if not the drive of 2011 was Lewis at Nurburgring.....

That was a sensational performance, beating everyone fair and square.
Old 29 Feb 2012, 13:47 (Ref:3033028)   #24
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
I mean I think he's a bit sensitive, an 'arm round the shoulder' driver who thrives when he feels the world isn't against him. Whereas Button looks to be delighted to be in winning cars. Even when he was at Honda, he stuck it out. He did look like he was getting peed off in the end, but he never let it affect his driving.
Lewis was to a certain extent in no mans land last season, family is very important to him..If you think about it Jenson always has his dad and girlfriend in tow to help boost his confidence..Lewis was taking a lot of flack about his style of racing..Senna said "if you don't go for a gap" you are not racing, Lewis is a *racer* Massa often would not concede so they would touch..

The car out of the box was not very good, as a driver there is only so much one can do, if it's not great, it's not great...

Lewis is back on track this year and I am interested to see who wins the WDC in 2012...
Old 29 Feb 2012, 13:48 (Ref:3033029)   #25
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post
NASCAR and Indy?
No Mercedes or Lotus...
Closed Thread