Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old Yesterday, 07:42 (Ref:4207062)   #3151
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
I remember the bonnet on the 888 Vectra (Dave Newshams in particular) used to flex badly under braking but it certainly didn't look beneficial to aero
Flexing down under braking is beneficial.
Old Yesterday, 09:35 (Ref:4207067)   #3152
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a racer in tin tops, and some one who builds and engineers their own cars, including doing some basic wind tunnel modeling..... the bonnet deflection on a touring car makes zero difference to the aero. The deflection is just because there is only a couple mill thick piece of sheet metal with near zero re-reinforcement via bracing or defined kinks in the metal.

On some fancy leman type prototype... maybe. but not a touring car.
Old Yesterday, 09:47 (Ref:4207069)   #3153
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by auroan View Post
The deflection is just because there is only a couple mill thick piece of sheet metal with near zero re-reinforcement via bracing or defined kinks in the metal.

From the 2022 season - have a guess which bonnets 'flexed' and which ones didn't.

Then take a look at the road going equivalent for each of those models and something might surprise you......
Attached Thumbnails
Cupra.JPG   Excelr8.JPG   NAPA.JPG  

Dynamics.JPG  
Old Yesterday, 10:01 (Ref:4207071)   #3154
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by auroan View Post
As a racer in tin tops, and some one who builds and engineers their own cars, including doing some basic wind tunnel modeling..... the bonnet deflection on a touring car makes zero difference to the aero. The deflection is just because there is only a couple mill thick piece of sheet metal with near zero re-reinforcement via bracing or defined kinks in the metal.

On some fancy leman type prototype... maybe. but not a touring car.
I hear you, but I have worked directly with tin-top teams who have used deflection just as I said, with direct and measureable results.

Serious teams who have won professional-level championships.

Last edited by peebee2; Yesterday at 10:09.
Old Yesterday, 10:03 (Ref:4207072)   #3155
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You know I prefer the old days when bonnets didn't flex and everyone used saloon cars which didn't have body roll.
Old Yesterday, 10:52 (Ref:4207076)   #3156
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
You know I prefer the old days when bonnets didn't flex and everyone used saloon cars which didn't have body roll.
I wish they had more body roll, I’d like to see those wing mirrors scraping along the tarmac when cornering.
Old Yesterday, 12:11 (Ref:4207086)   #3157
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I wish they had more body roll, I’d like to see those wing mirrors scraping along the tarmac when cornering.

You almost see that every year as the attack the chicane at Knockhill!
Old Yesterday, 15:17 (Ref:4207108)   #3158
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not quite sure it is 2025 thread time, but we have a (unchanged) calendar: https://btcc.net/

Good consistency, reckon we will see additional entries up to the 24 (likely) maximum and the new TOCA Junior series, which I can see proving popular if pitched correctly.
Old Yesterday, 17:00 (Ref:4207121)   #3159
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Bit of a shame there is not a layout change, Snet 200? Oulton Fosters? Etc?
Old Yesterday, 20:39 (Ref:4207138)   #3160
Andrew Abbott
Racer

England
Shrewsbury
Andrew Abbott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
At least there's less body roll with the RML spec parts than there was with the old GPRM components.
Old Yesterday, 21:08 (Ref:4207143)   #3161
Spanner monkey
Racer

England
Norwich
Spanner monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
I hear you, but I have worked directly with tin-top teams who have used deflection just as I said, with direct and measureable results.

Serious teams who have won professional-level championships.
Maybe in the super tourers where they even went as far as having new panels made to look like the road car version to have the floor higher in the car so it can be run lower...

But not in NGTC. Manufacturers spend millions on aero, Then TOCA take a standard road car to the wind tunnel to fix the position of the rear wing for the team to use on the race car with a given amount of down force.

Teams these days don't have the ££££ to spend doing days of wind tunnel testing these days
Old Today, 08:11 (Ref:4207169)   #3162
paulinhot
Rookie

England
Dorset
paulinhot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would it be within the rules for the BMW's to duct hot air over the tyres from the engine bay to create tyre temperature, which could then be redirected once the tyres were hot enough ?
Old Today, 09:12 (Ref:4207174)   #3163
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner monkey View Post
Maybe in the super tourers where they even went as far as having new panels made to look like the road car version to have the floor higher in the car so it can be run lower...

But not in NGTC. Manufacturers spend millions on aero, Then TOCA take a standard road car to the wind tunnel to fix the position of the rear wing for the team to use on the race car with a given amount of down force.

Teams these days don't have the ££££ to spend doing days of wind tunnel testing these days
We might be surprised what the top budget teams do.

Anyway, you might even get better results with advanced photography, some fairly basic sensors and even, God forbid, a stopwatch.
Old Today, 09:29 (Ref:4207179)   #3164
TinTopGrumpy
Rookie

TinTopGrumpy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All I know is the V8 supercars use four bonnet pins across the front of the bonnet rather than two. Assuming that's not a rule thing I would have thought they would have gone for the "gap" if there was a benefit.

Not very scientific I admit. For what it's worth whenever a bonnet on a race car I've had has moved like that I've been called in more than once for it to be looked at by officials.