Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 25 Jan 2009, 09:34 (Ref:2378601)   #51
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
[QUOTE=HORNDAWG]Well only 15 of the 29 auto invites were taken up ( here ). Deadline for application entry has passed as of the 21st at midnight. So we should find out who the other 40, to be invited to participate, are in the coming weeks.

With such a low take-up rate from the automatic invitations, I fear we may not see a full entry of 55 cars.

1992 again?
Old 25 Jan 2009, 09:51 (Ref:2378609)   #52
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Vieux
With such a low take-up rate from the automatic invitations, I fear we may not see a full entry of 55 cars.

1992 again?
Personally, I'd be astonished if there wasn't a full 55 car list announced (plus reserves). There must be nearly thirty prototypes without an auto invite, plus GT's. There may be a few 'grid fillers', but I'm confident we'll see a full compliment.
Old 25 Jan 2009, 10:19 (Ref:2378618)   #53
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
Personally, I'd be astonished if there wasn't a full 55 car list announced (plus reserves). There must be nearly thirty prototypes without an auto invite, plus GT's. There may be a few 'grid fillers', but I'm confident we'll see a full compliment.

Certainly, there are the cars out there. There must be at least thirty prototypes not yet invited, but are there thirty budgets to match?

Perhaps I'm becoming a sad, old, cynical Le Maniac.......
Old 25 Jan 2009, 16:33 (Ref:2378825)   #54
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm with Bentley03 on this. I think there will be more than enough applicants to fill the grid.

L.P.
Old 26 Jan 2009, 08:03 (Ref:2379402)   #55
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you look at those that have turned down, a couple have accepted an entry, some rarely cross the atlantic, one is a name only team, at least 2 have either sold or morphed into other teams.

The rest I dont know, but I would say the take up rate is on a par with every other year.

AUDI SPORT NORTH AMERICA - Already has 2 entrys
INTERSPORT RACING - has not done LM for some years
PENSKE MOTORSPORTS INC - has not done LM for some years
PENSKE RACING - - has not done LM for some years
VAN MERKSTEIJN MOTORSPORT - Car sold to Goh, he only had one anyway
VAN MERKSTEIJN MOTORSPORT - Car sold to Goh, he only had one anyway
TEAM ESSEX - Team morphed - likey to enter as another team but entered anyway
HORAG RACING - ?????????
ASTON MARTIN RACING - Likey to switch to P1
TEAM MODENA - ???????????
VITAPHONE RACING TEAM - Vitaphone can pick and choose who they sponsor
PHOENIX CARSPORT RACING - Have they entered LM before???
BELL MOTORSPORTS - Have they entered LM before???
BMS SCUDERIA ITALIA - ?????????
Old 26 Jan 2009, 11:20 (Ref:2379517)   #56
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic
TEAM MODENA - ???????????
switching to GT2, so presumably the automatic invite doesn't move class?
Old 26 Jan 2009, 23:44 (Ref:2380037)   #57
Le Vieux
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
I'm with Bentley03 on this. I think there will be more than enough applicants to fill the grid.

L.P.
I hope you're right. Like I said, perhaps I'm just getting cynical in my old age. (And what a pity there's not a smiley with a walking stick.....)
Old 27 Jan 2009, 09:03 (Ref:2380297)   #58
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
The Full Astom LM1 has been announced, looks good in Gulf livery and lets hope it gives the diesels a good thrashing, at last a car that we can enjoy the sound as well as the looks
Old 29 Jan 2009, 07:08 (Ref:2381887)   #59
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I hope you're right. Like I said, perhaps I'm just getting cynical in my old age. (And what a pity there's not a smiley with a walking stick.....)
Huh? Try the [more] option.

L.P.
Old 29 Jan 2009, 08:57 (Ref:2381917)   #60
Le Vieux
Veteran

Quote:
Huh? Try the [more] option.

L.P.
Thanks Horndawg

That's me! Even down to the white beard and (so my wife says...) the wagging finger!
http://tentenths.com/forum/images/smilies/historics.gif
Old 29 Jan 2009, 11:24 (Ref:2381999)   #61
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

L.P.
I agree - and it is nice to see privateers getting a chance to run "the big one", but this year the grid could be even more top class IMO.
The LMP1 overall battle already looks like it could be the best for years.
I expect the LMP2 battle will again be good - if we see Acura's and Porker Spyders it'll be even better!
GT1 could be a bit thin if there is no serious competition to the Vette's but GT2 is always a good watch.
I (for one) cannot wait....
Old 29 Jan 2009, 17:07 (Ref:2382191)   #62
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Hmm, it seems that there is no shortage of applicants as:
Quote:
82 entries, it’s almost the same as in 2008 (88 requests) and better than 2007 (76)!
The most remarkable fact is that these 82 requests are all of an exceptionally high level in terms of quality and variety. They could all start the 2009 Le Mans 24 Hours were it not for the fact that the regulations limit the number to 55.
Here

L.P.
Old 29 Jan 2009, 18:46 (Ref:2382238)   #63
Le Vieux
Veteran

Welcome news that puts my doubts to rest.
Old 29 Jan 2009, 19:01 (Ref:2382247)   #64
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope the ACO makes a good choice *cough* not Terramos or Tokai University! *cough* they don't need to put the likes of those in if all the entires are of "high standard". Man i just wish me could see the 82 entries that have sent an application.
Old 30 Jan 2009, 00:17 (Ref:2382387)   #65
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The English translation of the ACO's announcement of the number of applicants made me smile. "As for the clash of the Titans, it will take place between Audi and Peugeot in LM P1 with the Oreca-Courage and Pescarolo petrol-engined LM P1s waiting to pounce on any mistakes by the diesel-powered cars. They will be backed up by the new prototype Aston Martins.........."

Mmm, backed up eh. Only fifth on the bill, it seems.
Old 30 Jan 2009, 09:35 (Ref:2382551)   #66
Le Vieux
Veteran

Quote:
The English translation of the ACO's announcement of the number of applicants made me smile. "As for the clash of the Titans, it will take place between Audi and Peugeot in LM P1 with the Oreca-Courage and Pescarolo petrol-engined LM P1s waiting to pounce on any mistakes by the diesel-powered cars. They will be backed up by the new prototype Aston Martins.........."

Mmm, backed up eh. Only fifth on the bill, it seems.

And what a surprise - three of the ACO's top four teams are French,,,,,,,,
Old 30 Jan 2009, 09:47 (Ref:2382556)   #67
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
And what a surprise - three of the ACO's top four teams are French,,,,,,,,
I'll come clean on this (), the French text from which the translation is taken reads quite differently. The implications inherent in the English translation are absent. Made me laugh though..............

Old 30 Jan 2009, 10:07 (Ref:2382563)   #68
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18
Hope the ACO makes a good choice *cough* not Terramos or Tokai University! *cough* they don't need to put the likes of those in if all the entires are of "high standard".
I think you're safe on the Tokai front (funding, or lack of), but I'll take you to task on the Terramos entry. I (personally) really enjoyed their presence last year. They were far better prepared than I expected and put on a great show (and the Mugen V8 one of the most distinctive sounds at Le Mans last year). I'd be happy perfectly to see them back.
Old 30 Jan 2009, 14:39 (Ref:2382697)   #69
Le Vieux
Veteran

Quote:
I'll come clean on this (), the French text from which the translation is taken reads quite differently. The implications inherent in the English translation are absent. Made me laugh though..............

I had only looked at the English translation, being too lazy to have a go at the French. Having now looked at the French, however, I see that the ACO consider that the Aston entry in P1 was "unexpected" (inattendu).

Following their relative success first time out last year and the fact that there's a certain anniversary in 2009, I would have said that an Aston entry was as good a certainty as Peugeot and a better bet than an Audi entry.

I sometimes wonder what planet the ACO's selection committee are on - or is it just PR-speak?
Old 30 Jan 2009, 15:05 (Ref:2382705)   #70
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
I think you can read this as PR speak combined with the curiousities of fluent English spoken from a different cultural perspective. I've found a lot the comes out from the ACO etc reads a little, well, oddly. As such I wouldn't consider it to be a case of them being 'off' in any way towards Aston Martin - I have no doubt they'll be greeted with open arms come June.
Old 30 Jan 2009, 19:35 (Ref:2382812)   #71
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge
I've found a lot the comes out from the ACO etc reads a little, well, oddly.
Especially news on LMS website. Often reads a little bit like a computer translation. I'm not native English speaker, so I have thought maybe it's just me but now that someone else said it...
Old 1 Feb 2009, 13:07 (Ref:2383646)   #72
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I (personally) really enjoyed their presence last year. They were far better prepared than I expected and put on a great show (and the Mugen V8 one of the most distinctive sounds at Le Mans last year). I'd be happy perfectly to see them back.
I totally agree .

Was it just me , or did you notice that beautifuly loud engine ? And when the sunlight caught the gold stripe , it changed into a nice shade of green ..... thats one for the model makers !!!

Wonder have they done any mods to their car , if indeed they are coming back at all ? Or possibily with a differant chassis .

What Terada should do is hire Martin Short's team and car for the event . It certainly would be a stronger package , although I would miss that engine !!!

Last edited by The Badger; 1 Feb 2009 at 13:10.

Tags
2009 le mans, 2009 le mans entries