Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 9 May 2005, 14:18 (Ref:1296679)   #1
Mike.ca
Racer

Mike.ca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jensen Out

He's not racing in Mexico. Here's a message he posted on another forum:

Quote:
So everyone knows, it's doubtful that we will run a car at Monterrey Mexico.

Over the winter, I obliged myself to hosting a party at the Monaco Grand Prix on the same weekend at the Monterrey Mexico (long before I conceived of doing the season in ChampCar)... And moreover, a few people who said they were going to help fund the team DK'ed their offers... So while I have some good things going, I can't see at this stage running a car in ChampCar at Monterrey. And even moreover, I still have my 4 car Formula BMW team to run at the second round at Mid-Ohio that same weekend...

It's disappointing, since I am abig supporter of the ChampCar racing model (obviously I've spoken very loud with my time and my wallet)... I will keep everyone posted as our plans for the rest of the year unfold... Things are good, and for sure with diligence things are getting better and more exciting

My best
Eric Jensen
So it looks like the rest of the season is doubtful. I wonder if his team will make the Canadian races? The Konica-Minolta Canada deal seemed like the one solid thing in his program but then he also said that he had sponsorship for a full season, so who knows?
Old 9 May 2005, 15:18 (Ref:1296728)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So is he going to be in Monaco or Mid Ohio??
Old 9 May 2005, 15:18 (Ref:1296729)   #3
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ouch, that smarts. It's a real shame for Jensen, it was nice to see someone new come on the grid.

People who were critical of his lack of an all Canadian team clearly didn't understand that he had fiscal difficulties.

One has to think that the Konica deal wasn't hugely rewarding. If it covered the costs or even most of the costs, they would have had the choice between most of the cars on the grid.
Old 9 May 2005, 17:15 (Ref:1296844)   #4
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Jensen Motorsport has been confusing right from the get-go.

First, they're only running the Canadian events.
Then, they're running the season.
Surprisingly, they hire an unknown driver.
Then, there's rumour of Christian running in Mexico.
Suddenly, Jourdain is running a 2nd car there under the Jensen banner.
Now they're not running Mexico at all.
Because he has a party to go to.

Seems like alot of money has been spent for a one-off in Long Beach.

This is all very strange indeed.
Old 9 May 2005, 23:19 (Ref:1297101)   #5
Boro
Racer

Boro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mike.ca:
could you pls link the other forum?

thanks
Old 9 May 2005, 23:26 (Ref:1297104)   #6
TedN
Racer

Canada
Georgetown, ON, Canada
TedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw that explanation on "the other site" as well (don't worry, I showered before coming here). I can't understand why Jensen wouldn't release this information on his own website or at least via a press releaes on CCWS.

The fact that he even participates at that "other site", in itself, has me concerned.

Ted
Old 9 May 2005, 23:28 (Ref:1297106)   #7
Boro
Racer

Boro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
heh, guess i'll know if this is truth or a hoax on friday
Old 10 May 2005, 03:30 (Ref:1297181)   #8
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Well, I am going to wait until I "know" for sure, but I do not see where anything he puts on his own website can be taken for much as many of the things he has put there have not had the basis in reality we would want to see.

This one would have to make the Excuse Hall of Fame if only for the duality: "I will be in Mid-Ohio/Monaco with my 4 car race team/partying with the glitterati."

I mean, really, he is committed to the Champ Car model insofar as it does not interfere with partying or Formula BMW...

Sheesh.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 10 May 2005, 12:36 (Ref:1297503)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Maybe Jensen should Button it. He's looking more and more ridiculous by the week. I'd like to see a link to the fulla rticle, to see if he has anything else to explain - comments on the financial circusmtnaces or similar?
Old 10 May 2005, 14:37 (Ref:1297566)   #10
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think some of the comments I've seen both here and at other forums are a bit harsh. True, it might not be the most solid Champ Car effort, but give the man credit for at least trying.

As for the supposed party in Monaco, remember that May 22nd is the F-1 weekend - what if he has invited potential sponsors at said party?
Old 10 May 2005, 16:15 (Ref:1297624)   #11
Mike.ca
Racer

Mike.ca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BootsOnTheSide, there is no fuller article. What I posted above is Jensen's full statement as posted on CW.

I know that Jensen hosts events at the Monaco GP. I assume that he knew of this event when he announced his Champ Car program but there was no mention of the team missing any races due to prior commitments. Is Jensen's CC team really incapable of running a race weekend without him being there?

I know that it's tough to get a new team started. I generally have nothing but sympathy for those who try and meet obstacles along the way. If Jensen had started by saying "I have backing for three races, I'm going to start the season then I'll see if I can find more backing for more races", I'd understand. If he had said "I'd like to hire Valiante but I need cash so I may have to hire ride buyers", I'd understand. That's often how it is with new teams. What Jensen said was: "I have full sponsorship", then "I need sponsorship". "It's a full season program", then "How much we race depends on whether we get more sponsors". "I can afford to hire on talent alone", then "I need someone who can bring me some sponsorship". It's the changing stories, the contradictions, and the impression that he isn't playing straight with the media or the fans that has led to the criticism.

Some take the view that Eric Jensen tried (or is trying) to start a Champ Car team, therefore he should not be criticized. I fail to see how this sorry affair has been a plus for Champ Car - not because Jensen has (apparently) failed, but because of the way he went about it. I still hope that the Jensen Motorsport team will race in CC this year. I just hope that, if it does come back, there will be a little more straight talk and a little less B.S.

What I'd like to know now is where Konica-Minolta Canada fits in to all of this. Does Jensen still have a deal to run the three Canadian races?

Last edited by macdaddy; 10 May 2005 at 18:14.
Old 10 May 2005, 17:26 (Ref:1297655)   #12
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think that Jensen tried to seperate himself from all the other would be team owners by saying, "I have sponsorship," etc. He obviously was further along than most of others who make rumour waves.
Old 10 May 2005, 19:15 (Ref:1297734)   #13
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan

As for the supposed party in Monaco, remember that May 22nd is the F-1 weekend - what if he has invited potential sponsors at said party?

If that IS his purpose, then why wouldn't he invite them to Monterrey????

Where they can experience the excitement of the very Series he is trying to pitch them to support his racing effort? At an event that will probably have a big crowd???

Monterrey would show them what you would want them to see...their name in front of lots of race fans in an exciting event....

Why take potential sponsors halfway around the world to tell them "You can be a sponsoring/marketing partner in my Champ Car effort...

"But they aren't the cars you're watching from the deck of my yacht in Monte Carlo's harbor....those cars are racing today as well...in another hemisphere"

Would that excite any of you to get on-board with his effort as a possible sponsor, if he won't take you to one of the actual Series events to pitch you on the idea???

Not trying to be critical or cynical....but it just wouldn't make sense to me to do it that way...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 10 May 2005, 20:53 (Ref:1297804)   #14
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Maybe Jensen should Button it.
Did you just say Jenson Button?
Old 10 May 2005, 21:24 (Ref:1297824)   #15
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jenson could drive for Jensen, he has nothing to do at the moment...
Old 10 May 2005, 21:26 (Ref:1297826)   #16
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Yes, he does.

He has a party to go to!!!
Old 10 May 2005, 22:01 (Ref:1297868)   #17
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy
Yes, he does.

He has a party to go to!!!
He was referring to my comment about Jenson Button. Jenson currently has nothing do because of BAR's 2 race ban from Formula 1. Notice the difference between Jensen and Jenson.
Old 10 May 2005, 22:12 (Ref:1297874)   #18
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quite right JJ - Jenson was named after Jensen sports cars (his dad John is a former rallycross racer and general car fanatic), but with the spelling Anglicised (as John Button is also very patriotic).
Old 11 May 2005, 06:15 (Ref:1298030)   #19
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.ca
What Jensen said was: "I have full sponsorship", then "I need sponsorship". "It's a full season program", then "How much we race depends on whether we get more sponsors".
Nothing strange about that, and it happens just about every year in the Cup Series, with the latest example being PPC's 2005 Cup effort with John Andretti which looked like a solid deal but got shot to **** when the sponsor checques suddenly bounced...

So if Jensen has been screwed over by sponsors who all-but-said they were fully committed, only to pull out very late in the game, I don't find it strange at all.
Old 11 May 2005, 06:38 (Ref:1298036)   #20
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
If that IS his purpose, then why wouldn't he invite them to Monterrey????

Where they can experience the excitement of the very Series he is trying to pitch them to support his racing effort? At an event that will probably have a big crowd???

Monterrey would show them what you would want them to see...their name in front of lots of race fans in an exciting event....

Why take potential sponsors halfway around the world to tell them "You can be a sponsoring/marketing partner in my Champ Car effort...

"But they aren't the cars you're watching from the deck of my yacht in Monte Carlo's harbor....those cars are racing today as well...in another hemisphere"

Would that excite any of you to get on-board with his effort as a possible sponsor, if he won't take you to one of the actual Series events to pitch you on the idea???

Not trying to be critical or cynical....but it just wouldn't make sense to me to do it that way...
From what I've read the Monaco party was scheduled before he even committed to fielding a Champ Car team. Considering the Monaco GP weekend is, well, the Monaco GP weekend, do you think he would just cancel all his plans?

Also, imagine if he has some European sponsorship leads that have surfaced after the decision to race in Champ Car was made. Why not then take advantage of the already planned Monaco event to entertain said sponsors and give them a (hopefully) well-produced presentation of his Champ Car effort? And if it's a first pitch the potential sponsors might not even be interested in travelling halfway across the world anyway.

And drawing parallels between Formula 1 and Champ Car would work quite well in Monaco (especially if you use a bit of imagination), since it's a street race and, well, Champ Car has tons of them (pulling fans that not necessarily come just because any given series is racing, but because it's an "event")
Old 11 May 2005, 09:38 (Ref:1298125)   #21
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
No offense, but the comparison between a street race at Monaco and one say in Edmonton would be somewhat lacking for that crowd.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 11 May 2005, 09:53 (Ref:1298135)   #22
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Most of ChampCar's surviving street races get extremely good attendances among local people though, even if most lack the glamour (and indeed the racing heritage) of Monaco. In the long termt his could work, it's just that Eric seems to change his mind quite regularly and make a lot of strange decisions, so it's ahrd to form any trust of the guy, which is a shame as he's put mroe effort into fan relations than most team owners.
Old 11 May 2005, 10:57 (Ref:1298185)   #23
astinus4
Racer

Australia
Darwin, Australia
astinus4 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedN
I saw that explanation on "the other site" as well (don't worry, I showered before coming here). I can't understand why Jensen wouldn't release this information on his own website or at least via a press releaes on CCWS.

The fact that he even participates at that "other site", in itself, has me concerned.

Ted
What's so strange about him participating at a dedicated champcar community?
Old 11 May 2005, 20:24 (Ref:1298627)   #24
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/16815/

Nothing new here really, but its just more official word about the situation.
Old 12 May 2005, 09:05 (Ref:1298990)   #25
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjspierx
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/16815/

Nothing new here really, but its just more official word about the situation.
I don't know about "official"... Seeing as the article states "the Canadian has been quoted as saying", I'd be willing to bet that the very forum-posts we have been discussing here is the "source" of the SpeedTV article.

You'd be amazed how many news outlets use internet forums as "sources" these days (while not openly admitting it, of course).

I just wish Jensen would verify what he has supposedly posted at that forum via some proper news site.