Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 4 Jan 2013, 01:58 (Ref:3184440)   #1
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Accommodations Question

With the new rules in 2014 and 3 factories (at least) in P1, my friends and I are in the preliminary stages of planning a trip. Has anyone ever stayed in the Travel Destinations flexotels at the track? Are they well located and was it a good experience? I don't really want to leave the circuit during the event yet would like something a little nicer than camping, especially since my wife will likely be coming as well. Any advice is appreciated, my friends that have gone before all stayed at hotels away from the track.
Old 4 Jan 2013, 07:56 (Ref:3184490)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't know the answer to that one. I've not heard any of the regulars mention using TD - but I'm sure we can find out!
Old 4 Jan 2013, 08:46 (Ref:3184507)   #3
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Never used them but i do know they are expensive, the alternative is to hire a camper van or similar, you will need transport and I suspect it may be cheaper to hire a small camper and get a camping ticket, the facilities at most campsites are getting better each year and they will be no worse than those on the flexi hotel sites. Once you factor in the cost of hiring a decent car it could workout cheaper and you can also extend your trip to see a bit more of france.
Old 4 Jan 2013, 18:52 (Ref:3184732)   #4
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Depending on where you are in Antares Sud the distance from the track isn't much worse than if you were camping in Houx.

You've probably scoped out the maps but it's going to be about a 10/15min walk to the pit straight. That's kind of par for the course at Le Mans there's a fair bit of walking.

http://www.lemans.org/wpphpFichiers/..._situation.jpg

Can't speak for the actual rooms themselves. They look like they would do the job just looking at the website. It's probably what I'd do if I was in your position and TD are good to deal with.

EDIT: Should also have added: it would be good to meet you/you won't regret it/DO IT etc.
Old 4 Jan 2013, 19:06 (Ref:3184736)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post

EDIT: Should also have added: it would be good to meet you/you won't regret it/DO IT etc.

Always sound advice!
Old 4 Jan 2013, 23:05 (Ref:3184874)   #6
Steptoe
Racer

England
10618 miles from Le Mans - NSW Australia
Steptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A guy last year was planning to stay in a 'flexhotel' not sure if he did but might be worth contacting him . see thread

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131722
Old 4 Jan 2013, 23:13 (Ref:3184880)   #7
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for all the input. We stay in a van at Sebring and it is fun so haven't ruled that out, trying to keep it as civilized as possible for my wife. It will likely be 4 of us. Le Mans is the last of the big ones for me. Been to Daytona, Sebring, Petit. Would be great to meet fellow forum users. Any other opinions please keep them coming!
Old 4 Jan 2013, 23:52 (Ref:3184901)   #8
Steptoe
Racer

England
Steptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've personally found that camping is the best way to go just for pure atmosphere. Although some sites are more 'civilized' than others.
No doubt you will get reponses from other forumists as to which sites are the best. I've stayed 'Tertre Rouge' , 'Houx' and 'Houx Annexe'. I've always gone back to the 'Houx' .Its now I would say one of the more civilized and has the bonus of powered sites but bring plenty of cables. That said all the sites get pretty noisy on friday night with fireworks.
Old 5 Jan 2013, 09:00 (Ref:3184996)   #9
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's not exactly practical flying over from North America with camping equipment though. You could source it once you arrive but you'd just end up leaving 90% of it behind I imagine.

We Brits are very fortunate we can just load up a car and drive over.
Old 6 Jan 2013, 19:41 (Ref:3185627)   #10
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Indeed. I have nothing against camping, just didn't really consider it realistic plus want to make sure it is enjoyable for my wife. I would assume it is like Sebring where you have different areas to set up depending on what one is looking to get out of the experience. I thought the flexotels were a nice arrive and go type set up, plus they have showers. Not sure if any of the campsites have those?
Old 6 Jan 2013, 20:05 (Ref:3185642)   #11
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Do not worry about camping, if you are in the better campsites you will have good showers and if you meet up with others I am sure you will want for nothing, in our campsite if you lack something you only have to ask and someone will lend you it, we had a load of danish bikers turn up 3 years ago with very little apart from bikes and tents, within an hour they were joining in with us and other groups borrowing BBQ's and plates etc.
This year they had a van with all sorts of stuff and set up a seated area with a massive telly which they were happy for everyone to use. The sites are full of different people some speak english but all manage to communicate somehow and you will be welcomed with open arms and cold beer/hot food everyone is there because they love sportscar racing so you will have things in common and plenty to talk about.
A bottle or two of canadian whiskey will help yo make you friends with your fellow campers for sure. As for the wife yes the majority of the campers are male but she will not be alone our gang is probably 30% female and i would say the percentage of women in general seems to rise every year.
Old 6 Jan 2013, 20:58 (Ref:3185670)   #12
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Great feedback, thanks. Sounds like the same spirit exists as it does at Sebring and Petit, last year at Sebring (her first) we had complete strangers offer us dinner first night and a spot on their scaffolding at start/finish on race day for the chequered flag. Luckily my wife is like one of the guys, very easy going, not too worried about that. More worried about facilities.
Old 6 Jan 2013, 21:46 (Ref:3185690)   #13
Ultimo
Veteran

Ultimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUltimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am dreaming of 2014 as well. We'll see how it goes. Le Mans is a long way from Toronto.
Old 6 Jan 2013, 22:25 (Ref:3185710)   #14
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
I'd be interested to know if everyone's camping experience is as serene as GT6's?

Definitely sounds like a great ambience on Tetre Rouge. Maybe it's because Houx is a bit more expansive but it didn't seem to have that kind of vibe to me.

Not that it was unfriendly or negative in any way but it would just be interesting to gauge.

And yes there are 'communal' showers in the camp sites. If you check out Beer Mountain they have good breakdowns on what each site offers.
Old 6 Jan 2013, 22:31 (Ref:3185711)   #15
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I'd be interested to know if everyone's camping experience is as serene as GT6's?

Definitely sounds like a great ambience on Tetre Rouge. Maybe it's because Houx is a bit more expansive but it didn't seem to have that kind of vibe to me.

Not that it was unfriendly or negative in any way but it would just be interesting to gauge.

And yes there are 'communal' showers in the camp sites. If you check out Beer Mountain they have good breakdowns on what each site offers.
I've only camped at Tertre Rouge, so predictably my feelings are very similar to GT6's. Was a bit of trepidation first time we went in 2008, arriving late-ish on the Thursday, when it was busy and spots were at a premium, but found somewhere, made friends pretty readily, and haven't looked back since.

Killer app for us (including Mrs isynge) is that the showers / loos are clean and good throughout the weekend. If it wasn't for that I strongly suspect we'd be looking a lot more seriously at a flexhotel sort of option - even if I would sorely miss the genuinely fantastic ambience of everyone at TR.
Old 6 Jan 2013, 23:00 (Ref:3185718)   #16
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Having stayed at Houx the last two years, and at Tertre Rouge this(!) year, I'll be able to tell the difference (if any) between the two. In my experience Houx was nice with friendly folk. Wanted to stay closer to the action this year, so switched campsites.

But then I've met friendly folk at all campsites I've stayed on: Karting Nord, Technoparc, Beausejour, Tertre Rouge (long time ago), Houx Annexe.

Will be allright at TR I guess!
Old 7 Jan 2013, 00:55 (Ref:3185744)   #17
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Certainly by the sound of things - it's the place to be!
Old 7 Jan 2013, 08:49 (Ref:3185856)   #18
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
[QUOTE=Simmi;3185710]I'd be interested to know if everyone's camping experience is as serene as GT6's?

And yes there are 'communal' showers in the camp sites. If you check out Beer Mountain they have good breakdowns on what each site offers.[/QUOTE
The ACO price for the TR campsite is the same as Houx, but where as Houx you get a reserved pitch and power connection, TR is still open, first come first served and you pick your spot, it overlooks the track and is frequented by a slightly more serious race fan the average age and diverse collection of nationalities usually makes it less the party campsite and more the sit around discussing cars while drinking/eating campsite, however the size of the site and difficulty of obtaining tickets mean that it has never attracted the large groups. The very few tickets that get sold on E Bay usually fetch much higher prices than Houx or MB although not sure I even saw one for sale last year
Old 7 Jan 2013, 10:30 (Ref:3185895)   #19
Steptoe
Racer

England
As another option we have some French guys that stay with us on the Houx every year, in 2012 they ditched bringing tents and hired a campervan in Paris and used that. Between 4 of them it was very reasonable and they had an on board toilet. Might be worth looking into if facilities are top of the list and I guess you will be flying into Paris anyway . Just a thought and all you would need to pick up is some cheap sleeping bags at a supermarche.
Old 7 Jan 2013, 11:02 (Ref:3185904)   #20
911 GT2
Rookie

911 GT2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Flexiotel

Hi There

Have PMed you regarding this, we stayed there in 2012 was great.
Old 7 Jan 2013, 11:06 (Ref:3185906)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Thanks for that and welcome to Tenths!
Old 7 Jan 2013, 11:19 (Ref:3185910)   #22
911 GT2
Rookie

911 GT2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks was 3rd time at the race, first time watching.
Old 7 Jan 2013, 11:32 (Ref:3185916)   #23
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Now you've intrigued us........
Old 7 Jan 2013, 12:00 (Ref:3185927)   #24
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
In 2011 a group of Rugby players stayed in a few spots near us. They never saw a single car. They did see a lot of bottle bottoms though. I think 911 GT2 has similar experiences.
Old 7 Jan 2013, 12:10 (Ref:3185930)   #25
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
What? 3 attendances, 1 watching cars and 2 drinking?! I'm scandalised........