Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 18 Aug 2003, 05:43 (Ref:690764)   #1
thebandit
Rookie

thebandit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
teams should have unlimited testing?

1. why can't teams have unlimited testing. all the teams are professional these days so should be able to afford it if not they should race in the konica series.

2. can kmart, team brock and hrt test yet. either they should be chucked out or have the same rules as all the other teams. its a joke avesco letting these restriction go on.

im a ford fan so not saying this due to being a holden fan.
Old 18 Aug 2003, 05:53 (Ref:690770)   #2
Lyris
Racer

Lyris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's another point to add to your argument bandit.

It actually works out to cost approx. 300K/season to run a level 1 Konica campaign, I'd like to know what track in the country will charge that much for test days.

It would therefore, in these times of $$ scraping, be cheaper to allow open testing for all teams and watch the rookies learn the so called hard way.
Old 18 Aug 2003, 06:22 (Ref:690785)   #3
TMS
Racer

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
TMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I disagree with unlimited testing. Teams with large budgets will be able to test an awful lot more and dvelop their cars firther and I think you would find that the racing would not be as close. It would raise costs rather than cut them which is what they are trying to achieve.

Just my opinion
Old 18 Aug 2003, 07:09 (Ref:690808)   #4
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe the F1 solution would work.You can have 10 test days/or 1 before each enduro or new car and then 2 x 1 hour session on a friday and an extra set of pre marked/used tyres.
Alot of teams are pretty quick by sunday but alas the important qualifying is over so a small team would benifit greatly from a bit of time at the track and leapfrog up the grid.I am sure that the likes of Wincup,and thecko would agree.

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 18 Aug 2003, 07:18 (Ref:690813)   #5
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Limiting testing and tyre availability is an excellent way to try and reduce excessive gaps on track between the haves and the have nots. LRT & Team Dynamic's performances over the weekend were a good example of how well this can work.

Generally the better funded/staffed/organised and hardest working teams will come to the front hence SBR FPR & HRT still on the podium, whilst some others try their hardest to make extra tyres available for testing by playing a swifty game at some rounds and having "electrical faults" aplenty with the teams second car, only to throw it away when it counts!

More sessions on the track on Friday would be a winner.

Also Lyris, 3 test days a month at one Sydney circuit will gobble your budget before you put a drop of fuel in the car, pay wages rent and power bills, travel accomodation BLA BLA BLA, and your rookie will learn the hard way once he is on the track with 30 other cars
Old 18 Aug 2003, 07:24 (Ref:690823)   #6
Lyris
Racer

So limit the testing the easy way, make the days unlimited but keep the tyre bank and allocation rules. Who'd honestly be willing to do thousands of laps on totally shagged tyres???? The data would be screwed.

And rdmdog, the Konica costs gripe, actually came from a member of a pretty top level team, during a discussion that was being had about Winterbottom (and no that team was not SBR)
Old 18 Aug 2003, 07:44 (Ref:690838)   #7
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry if you thought I was having a go at you Lyris, definately not what I intended

I recon you would be doing well to get away with $300K for a season in Konica. I would think if you wanted to do more than just make up numbers you would need to spend at least double that, but im sure with a little luck and a no frills attitude it would be possible to do it for less. no one can predict panel damage for a year though!:confused:
Old 18 Aug 2003, 07:55 (Ref:690851)   #8
Onlooker
Veteran

300k/season??????? I wonder why it is costing some drivers 1.5 times that and still they don't have the backup to be able to start every race??????????????????????

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 18 Aug 2003, 07:55 (Ref:690852)   #9
Lyris
Racer

Yeah but if the team is built off of a main series team, then the costs are greatly reduced, given that the cars can be recycled numbers, the engineers are already paid (on the most part anyway), and you already own the transporter.
Old 18 Aug 2003, 07:59 (Ref:690855)   #10
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let them test whenever they want
Old 18 Aug 2003, 08:00 (Ref:690856)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Onlooker, a $300k program will get you a series win, or indeed a series second place Thats operating costs, not including the upfront capital of the car, spares or transporter

Anyone who pays more than that for cars of lesser quality is kidding themselves...

And the testing answer is simple. Every Friday at a race meeting allow 2 hrs in 2 sessions of an hour each for unlimited testing at the circuit to be raced on at that weekend.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 18 Aug 2003, 08:15 (Ref:690872)   #12
Onlooker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic

Anyone who pays more than that for cars of lesser quality is kidding themselves...

But you wrote such nice things about them not so long ago
Old 18 Aug 2003, 09:04 (Ref:690917)   #13
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see nothing wrong with limited testing days, anything that keeps cost down & stops the top teams from using their endless streams of money can only be a good thing.
Old 18 Aug 2003, 09:37 (Ref:690947)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Onlooker
But you wrote such nice things about them not so long ago
The contribution to any program I may have written about as I understand it, is not even in the same ballpark as that number.

There are certain ex-red and yellow cars which are apparently far hungrier than that number.....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods