Old 8 Jun 2004, 16:59 (Ref:997526)   #1
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Denver changes

By The Denver Post
Several race-related changes are on tap for the third Centrix Grand Prix of Denver, pegged for Aug. 13-15 on a course around the Pepsi Center.

On the advice of driver Sebastien Bourdais of France, race general manager John Frew said workers will reconfigure turn 5 from a sweeping hairpin design to a 90-degree, hard-in, hard-out one.

"In our first two races, either drivers were too cautious or too aggressive in turn 5 and the very place we designed for passing ended up being a parade or a graveyard," Frew said.

Bourdais designed the turn for Frew on a napkin.

"I asked him what he would do to make our track more competitive, and the idea took off from there," Frew said. "We are waiting formal approval from Champ Car, but it looks like this is a go for 2004."

New Champ Car rules also figure to make impacts on short and narrow street races such as Denver. First, every driver will be required to use a set of soft-compound tires at least once during every race.

The additional grip will lead to quicker turns but slower speeds on the straightaways, allowing various cars to have advantages at difference spots on the track. Second, each driver will be allowed to use a "push to pass" button six times during each race to produce an extra 50 horsepower for 10 seconds per push.

----------------------------------------------------

I'll be interested to see how the changes effect the racing. The layout is slick, narrow, and difficult to see much. With driver imput, this may make a significant improvement in the area of passing. (a major complaint on most street races) Turn 5 (the Mile Wide turn) has been the best place for viewing for the last two races there.
Old 8 Jun 2004, 20:10 (Ref:997722)   #2
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It will be intersting to see exactly what they mean about turn 5. It was like maybe a 160 degrees and now a 90? That is either an incomplete statement or they have made other changes that were not mentioned. I hope they keep the area extra wide.

I kind of liked the old turn 5. There was good action there and I think "a graveyard" is an overstatement. I also don't see anything wrong with a little tire smoke once in awhile as someone goes inside for a pass a little bit hot.

I won't pass judgement until we see how it works. I like the soft tire business and the push to pass. Now, to get rid of the pit windows...

Last edited by Flatspot; 8 Jun 2004 at 20:12.
Old 8 Jun 2004, 22:10 (Ref:997841)   #3
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the description of the new turn 5 meant that it will be a double-apex corner with two 90-degree turns.
Old 9 Jun 2004, 03:17 (Ref:998007)   #4
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I like that Bourdais is interested in making the series better and gives continual real feedback to the people who can make changes.
Old 9 Jun 2004, 13:08 (Ref:998417)   #5
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I'm guessing that the long bend leading into the hairpin was mucking up drivers' efforts to pass there.