Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Jan 2023, 21:03 (Ref:4139216)   #1
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Favourite motorsport moments (Autosport top ten)

Autosport released the results of a vote they did where fans had to choose their favourite moments from the history of motorsport. I know there was a list the voters had to choose from, but don't know what else was on the list. Here is the top ten:

10. Juan Manuel Fangio's victory on the Nurburgring in 1957 with eight lap records while chasing the Ferraris (ten-tenths' GROAT).
9. Jackie Stewart's championship victory in Monza 1969 by winning in the run to the line.
8. Tim Harvey's BTCC championship in 1992 after Cleland and Soper clashed, 'the man's an animal'.
7. Toyota's heart-breaking retirement on the penultimate lap of the 2016 Le Mans.
6. Nigel Mansell's victory in Silverstone 1987 after the Stowe dummy on Nelson Piquet.
5. Stirling Moss's victory in the Mille Miglia in 1955 with Denis Jenkinson.
4. Lewis Hamilton winning the 2008 championship on the final corner in Interlagos.
3. Jackie Stewart's dominant win on the Nurburgring in 1968 in the torrential rain, during his safety campaign.
2. Le Mans 1966, Ford beating Ferrari and then the clumsily-staged dead heat.
1. Colin McRae winning the World Rally Championship in 1995 on the RAC Rally in Wales.

This is in the F1 section because most of the entries are from Formula 1.

Personally, I really like the top ten list. A good range of history and all great moments, and I was surprised at the choice for number one. I'm not sure what I would put there, but maybe Fangio's win in the Nurburgring. The one thing I was a little surprised about not making the list was the legendary Villeneuve-Arnoux battle at Dijon in 1979, and also Senna's first lap at Donington in 1993. Jenson Button's win in Montreal 2011 is another one I would have included, as the 1965 British Grand Prix as Graham Hill with fading brakes chased down Jim Clark who was turning his engine off to go around corners due to oil-surge damage. Maybe Niki Lauda returning in Monza 1976 after his near-fatal accident could also be there.

What would other people add to the list of 'favourite motorsport moments from history', and what would be your number one?
Old 8 Jan 2023, 07:23 (Ref:4139227)   #2
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
I suspect only the reader demographic prevented Hunt's championship win in 1976 in Japan. It was one of the first F1 ictories to break free of the sports pages.

I'd add Jim Clark's amazing recovery drive at Monza in the 1967 GP ; Roger Clark's RAC Rally victory in 1972 ; Ickx winning the Race of Champions in 1974 ; Takuma Sato's Indy wins 2017 and 2020 ; Ickx(again) winning Le Mans by a whisker in the GT 40 in 1969 ; Mansell's pole lap at Silverstone in 1992 . More parochially , amazing drives in lower formulae include a then unknown Senna annihilating a FF1600 field at Mallory in 1981 ; Gunnar Nilsson's sublime drive at Cadwell in F3 and JJ Lehto showing wet weather artistry in monsoon conditions also at Cadwell in a Reynard FF2000. And the stunning , ultra smooth driving of Dan Rooke in the AXGT in Rallycross .
Old 8 Jan 2023, 08:46 (Ref:4139229)   #3
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
There are so many great moments, a top ten will always be controversial.
Old 8 Jan 2023, 09:13 (Ref:4139230)   #4
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
There are so many great moments, a top ten will always be controversial.
That is true.
However three races that stand out in my mind are the 1976 British GP, and Senna's sublime win at Estoril in the wet.
Id agree that Ickx/GT40 at Le Mans in 1969 should also be there.
Old 8 Jan 2023, 10:20 (Ref:4139234)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not having Donington 1993 is totally bemusing to me...... As is the #1 choice, frankly. Many of the others, yes, I get those, particularly #8 as I was standing there watching the events unfold....
Old 8 Jan 2023, 11:01 (Ref:4139237)   #6
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
True; I think the circumstances of McRae's death have tarnished (if not completely destroyed ) his legacy . Other memories - and all seen first hand - are Peterson at Woodcote in the Lotus 72 in 1973; Watson's win in 1981 , which I witnessed at Club ; Hunt's first F1 win in the International Trophy 1974 and -maybe best of all - Rosberg's staggering 161 mph pole in 1985 .

And how about Gethin at Monza 1971? Beltoise at Monaco in 1972 ?
Old 8 Jan 2023, 12:30 (Ref:4139240)   #7
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I did think Hamilton’s win in the rain at Silverstone in 08 was the best performance I’ve seen in my lifetime. Certainly worth getting up early during my holiday in Canada.

The best GP I’ve seen for drama and excitement in my lifetime is th 96 Monaco GP
Old 8 Jan 2023, 12:35 (Ref:4139242)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We're in danger of turning this into another GOAT thread.....
Old 8 Jan 2023, 23:34 (Ref:4139265)   #9
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
We're in danger of turning this into another GOAT thread.....
OMG no!!
Old 9 Jan 2023, 03:57 (Ref:4139279)   #10
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And people were saying there are too many races? Some of the threads make me think more racing or more testing is needed cause the dead horses are getting a beating
Old 9 Jan 2023, 08:29 (Ref:4139293)   #11
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Hesketh win at Zandvoort in 1975 was one of my favourites but topping the lot would have to be the same years RAC Rally with Waldegaard dominating the event only to be disqualified at the finish as stunning.
Old 9 Jan 2023, 09:51 (Ref:4139316)   #12
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
.....topping the lot would have to be the same years RAC Rally with Waldegaard dominating the event only to be disqualified at the finish as stunning.
Bob, there is quite an "anoraky" at times video of the restoration and history of that very car on youtube. Its a nice story if you have just over 10 minutes to spare. It does show some footage of the RAC Rally you speak of, of it running without the rear clip. It also as mentioned now been restored, albeit to the spec of the Safari when Bjorn also used the same car. (the details of the Safari spec is where it gets a bit anoraky)
The car seems to be known around, went to Goodwood and some historic rallies etc so im sure knowing you you will be very aware of it. Maybe you have already seen the video to which I refer.

Anyway video link is https://youtu.be/I-7pyFLK0yQ
Old 9 Jan 2023, 15:38 (Ref:4139375)   #13
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks Chris, I will find time to watch the video shortly. Fairly sure the car was on show at an Autosport Show just before covid set in. That RAC rally was stunning seeing (and hearing) it with the back missing was unforgetable, it won most of stages that year, over 40 of the 70 stages.