Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Nov 2022, 06:41 (Ref:4135103)   #51
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
What links Lance Stroll, Nico Hülkenberg, Kevin Magnussen and Alexander Albon?
Over 100 points in F1 without a win?

(The others from the clue all had over 100 points before their first win)
Old 28 Nov 2022, 06:46 (Ref:4135104)   #52
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
My question relates to one of their achievements, not their background.
Old 28 Nov 2022, 06:51 (Ref:4135105)   #53
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
What do John Surtees and Lewis Hamilton have in common?
They have both been winners of the BBC Sports Personality of the Year Award in a year when an England footballer has been second.
Old 28 Nov 2022, 06:53 (Ref:4135106)   #54
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Interesting, but it's not right. The only one of those who hasn't led a lap (and Albon has led exactly one) is Magnussen.

Stroll and Hulkenberg have had poles, but Magnussen and Albon haven't.
Magnussen was credited with a pole two races ago!
Old 28 Nov 2022, 08:00 (Ref:4135110)   #55
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I thought a pole for the sprint doesn't count in the stats as pole for a Grand Prix. I stand to be corrected, though.

Apparently, it's under debate: https://www.racefans.net/2022/04/18/...rely-cosmetic/

Last edited by Born Racer; 28 Nov 2022 at 08:07.
Old 28 Nov 2022, 08:09 (Ref:4135113)   #56
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
They have both been winners of the BBC Sports Personality of the Year Award in a year when an England footballer has been second.
I didn't Know that!
But it is not the answer to my question.
My question relates to a racing achievement both had in common.
Old 28 Nov 2022, 08:32 (Ref:4135114)   #57
Teretonga
Veteran

Quote:
I thought a pole for the sprint doesn't count in the stats as pole for a Grand Prix. I stand to be corrected, though.

Apparently, it's under debate: https://www.racefans.net/2022/04/18/...rely-cosmetic/
And at Sao Paulo Magnessen was commended on his status as pole winner by media and others.
So according to what happened he has a pole position.
But the 'rules' may not say that.
However the records may say he did!
Old 28 Nov 2022, 08:34 (Ref:4135115)   #58
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
It's definitely an interesting debate.

In the F1 Driver Awards section, they list Magnussen as pole for Rd 21 2022 and the winner of the Pirelli Pole Position Award.

In 2021, they did not award the Pirelli Pole Position Award at the sprint rounds, but instead the driver who started the Sprint in P1 was awarded the Pirelli Speed King Award.
Old 28 Nov 2022, 08:39 (Ref:4135116)   #59
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
My question relates to a racing achievement both had in common.
Both have one DSQ to their name in F1?
Old 28 Nov 2022, 08:54 (Ref:4135117)   #60
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The connection between the four is really stumping me. I thought maybe they've been team mates to champions without winning a race, but Hulkenberg is the odd one out in that too!
Old 28 Nov 2022, 09:26 (Ref:4135127)   #61
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
It's definitely an interesting debate.

In the F1 Driver Awards section, they list Magnussen as pole for Rd 21 2022 and the winner of the Pirelli Pole Position Award.

In 2021, they did not award the Pirelli Pole Position Award at the sprint rounds, but instead the driver who started the Sprint in P1 was awarded the Pirelli Speed King Award.
I think they changed the rules this year to mean whoever starts the Sprint first is officially the pole position winner.
Old 28 Nov 2022, 09:33 (Ref:4135128)   #62
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't really have an issue with that. They were fastest in qualifying. The fact that they have to do a race to take up whatever position they will for the Grand Prix is not reflective of the fact they got pole. Of course, the history books of these poles won't tell you that a driver who got pole such as Magnussen didn't get to start a Grand Prix from the front, but pole in Friday qualifying is still a good representation of a pole position (i.e. the winner of competition over one lap).
Old 28 Nov 2022, 09:33 (Ref:4135129)   #63
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
The connection between the four is really stumping me. I thought maybe they've been team mates to champions without winning a race, but Hulkenberg is the odd one out in that too!
Hulkenberg hasn't won a Grand Prix yet.
Old 28 Nov 2022, 09:34 (Ref:4135130)   #64
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Interesting, but it's not right. The only one of those who hasn't led a lap (and Albon has led exactly one) is Magnussen.

I said they have all led an F1 race as opposed to a GP as Magnussen led the sprint race in Brazil but not the GP, but I will try to figure out the answer.
Old 28 Nov 2022, 13:19 (Ref:4135171)   #65
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

It's not about leading.
Old 28 Nov 2022, 16:41 (Ref:4135206)   #66
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
What links Lance Stroll, Nico Hülkenberg, Kevin Magnussen and Alexander Albon?
Weak answer from me (don't think it's correct)... All three have been on the podium but with no wins.

Quote:
Clue: Leclerc, Pérez, Russell, Sainz, Ocon, Bottas, Ricciardo and Gasly all have something similar in common to what Magnussen, Stroll, Hulkenberg and Albon have in common, but with a key difference.
I suspect if I applied same logic to those above, I would fine my answer is wrong somehow. I suspect the group above have a similar link, but on a slightly different metric.

Richard
Old 28 Nov 2022, 18:22 (Ref:4135225)   #67
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Hulkenberg hasn't won a Grand Prix yet.

I meant he hasn’t had a champion team mate
Old 28 Nov 2022, 21:14 (Ref:4135255)   #68
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Sadly John Surtees was never knighted. He does have a CBE but no knighthood. (Lewis is not a CBE but does have an MBE.)
Thanks EB - well I massively blew that didn't I? Got too carried away while waxing lyrical(ish).
Old 29 Nov 2022, 03:29 (Ref:4135273)   #69
Teretonga
Veteran

Quote:
Both have one DSQ to their name in F1?
No.
It has to do with the way they both became WDC.
Old 29 Nov 2022, 05:02 (Ref:4135275)   #70
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
No.
They both became WDC by one point?
Old 29 Nov 2022, 05:21 (Ref:4135276)   #71
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I meant he hasn’t had a champion team mate
He's had one.
Old 29 Nov 2022, 05:26 (Ref:4135277)   #72
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
No.
Ah. Both Hamilton and Surtees were out of position to win the championship until the last lap and then they took it (and neither won the race).
Old 29 Nov 2022, 07:42 (Ref:4135286)   #73
Teretonga
Veteran

Quote:
Ah. Both Hamilton and Surtees were out of position to win the championship until the last lap and then they took it (and neither won the race).
Probably the closest so far but I'll give it to you.
Answer I was looking for:
Both drivers won their championships by moving up a place on the final lap of the final race of the season.

Surtees at Mexico 1964 and Lewis Hamilton at Brazil in 2008.
Hamilton passed Glock towards the end of the final lap.

At Mexico Clark dropped out on the penultimate lap giving Gurney the lead and Bandini was quickly signaled to let John past during the final lap to take second behind Gurney, Bandini coming in third.
That gave John the title by one point from G Hill.
Old 29 Nov 2022, 08:33 (Ref:4135295)   #74
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
He's had one.
Has he? These are the team mates I know he's had: Barrichello, di Resta, Guitierrez, Perez, Palmer, Sainz, Ricciardo and Stroll. Can't remember any others.
Old 29 Nov 2022, 11:05 (Ref:4135369)   #75
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Vettel has also been a team-mate (this year at Aston Martin).