Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Dec 2022, 05:13 (Ref:4136960)   #2001
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So Vasseur to Ferrari and Seidel to Sauber/Audi.Sauber are definitely the winner out of that change.
It seems this is happening relatively quickly so McLaren are in a bit of a hole here.
Likely and capable replacement anyone?
Old 13 Dec 2022, 07:11 (Ref:4136965)   #2002
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
So Vasseur to Ferrari and Seidel to Sauber/Audi.Sauber are definitely the winner out of that change.
It seems this is happening relatively quickly so McLaren are in a bit of a hole here.

Has Seidel been confirmed at Sauber?
Old 13 Dec 2022, 07:41 (Ref:4136966)   #2003
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Has Seidel been confirmed at Sauber?
Not confirmed - but being widely reported as a 'done deal'.

'The German will join Sauber in the role of CEO, in a move influenced by Audi's recent strategic buy-in to the team ahead of its 2026 entry into F1.'
Old 13 Dec 2022, 07:41 (Ref:4136967)   #2004
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Have they poached Capito?
Old 13 Dec 2022, 07:53 (Ref:4136968)   #2005
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Is he not retiring?

Dorilton Capital chairman Matthew Savage says the overhaul will make the next phase of a recovery plan for the team, with a new team principal and technical director to be announced in due course.

“We would like to thank Jost for his hard work and dedication as we embarked on a major transformation process to begin the journey of reviving Williams Racing,” Savage said. “We’re grateful that Jost postponed his planned retirement to take on this challenge and now he will pass the reins on for the next part of this staged process.

“We would also like to thank FX for his contribution and wish him all the best for his future as he moves on.”
Old 13 Dec 2022, 07:56 (Ref:4136969)   #2006
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Not very likely bearing in mind Zak Brown turfed him out with a big payoff post Ron era... is all of this in preparation for sale of Williams to Porsche?

Last edited by billy bleach; 13 Dec 2022 at 08:02.
Old 13 Dec 2022, 08:16 (Ref:4136970)   #2007
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
You’re both quite possibly right, timing seems interesting though.
Old 13 Dec 2022, 08:22 (Ref:4136971)   #2008
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Mattia Binotto would be an excellent signing for either McLaren or Williams.
Old 13 Dec 2022, 08:54 (Ref:4136974)   #2009
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
You’d expect he must have quite some gardening leave stipulated.
Old 13 Dec 2022, 15:31 (Ref:4137035)   #2010
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Stella's beaten him to McLaren. No not the beer!
Old 14 Dec 2022, 09:54 (Ref:4137112)   #2011
AndreasDavour
Veteran

Sweden
AndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wonder what the new owners of Williams think, long term. Ferrari have a history of upper management lashing out regularly and senselessly to let people go on a whim, stunting progress by not letting the organization settle in. Enzo himself started it, of course.

While Capito was heading for retirement anyway, did they let him draft a plan for technical directorship and would be allowed to fail before getting better? 2022 produced an inefficient car, but will they be allowed to build upon that?

I wonder if the owners know what they need to do, long term.
Old 14 Dec 2022, 10:01 (Ref:4137115)   #2012
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasDavour View Post
I wonder what the new owners of Williams think, long term. Ferrari have a history of upper management lashing out regularly and senselessly to let people go on a whim, stunting progress by not letting the organization settle in. Enzo himself started it, of course.

While Capito was heading for retirement anyway, did they let him draft a plan for technical directorship and would be allowed to fail before getting better? 2022 produced an inefficient car, but will they be allowed to build upon that?

I wonder if the owners know what they need to do, long term.
Do just enough to keep the lights on, hope for a trade sale?

I was waiting for the headline "Capito Kaput" for some reason

While the credentialled technical director wasnt exactly thanked by the ownership group as he departed the scene either
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 14 Dec 2022, 10:11 (Ref:4137121)   #2013
AndreasDavour
Veteran

Sweden
AndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If they are not waiting for an offer from Porsche, they need to start thinking. Do they want to be the English speaking Ferrari, where management ruins success?

Maybe they are waiting on Porsche.
Old 14 Dec 2022, 13:50 (Ref:4137157)   #2014
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
An interesting take
Old 14 Dec 2022, 14:10 (Ref:4137161)   #2015
AndreasDavour
Veteran

Sweden
Interesting indeed. Stability and a long term plan is the only way to win in F1. Let's hope this is a move to clean house, and not just more musical chairs.
Old 14 Dec 2022, 16:16 (Ref:4137179)   #2016
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, that was interesting. I can imagine that for a team like Williams that might have a number of "this is just how it is done" aspects (Senna logo... which I support keeping... might be an example). That whoever breaks some of those "unbreakable" things may not be the same person to carry the team forward. Not saying he was breaking/changing the right things, but I can imagine the next guy might have a better time of it as it might be more about "putting things back together"??? In the end, I tend to think that Williams seemed to be moving forward. So the team was doing something right somewhere.

Richard
Old 9 Jan 2023, 14:16 (Ref:4139354)   #2017
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I find it odd that Andretti doesn't buy Williams what ever the price it must be a faster cheaper option
Old 9 Jan 2023, 14:19 (Ref:4139356)   #2018
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
I find it odd that Andretti doesn't buy Williams what ever the price it must be a faster cheaper option
Maybe it's not for sale...
Old 9 Jan 2023, 15:12 (Ref:4139371)   #2019
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I was thinking the other day, whoever might buy Williams will have a branding challenge. They are likely to want to rebrand, but who wants to pull the trigger on dropping the "Williams" name from the team?

The point being incurring the wraith of fans. It might be viewed as a short term problem, but would probably never be forgiven by many hard core fans.

I can't remember, but how upset were people when the Tyrrell name switched to BAR?

Richard
Old 9 Jan 2023, 15:27 (Ref:4139374)   #2020
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post

Andretti wants to be an F1 constructor/team in his own right and he can do that with the backing of GM.
Old 10 Jan 2023, 08:18 (Ref:4139530)   #2021
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I can't remember, but how upset were people when the Tyrrell name switched to BAR?
It was a very sad occasion but I dont know who exactly noticed
Maybe it was the reason for piling on to criticism of the incredible (sic) BAR on-track performances..

Tyrrell always seemed to enjoy participating, even if competing at the very front was not really on their radar in the latter stages
Old 10 Jan 2023, 08:43 (Ref:4139535)   #2022
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
It was a very sad occasion but I dont know who exactly noticed
Maybe it was the reason for piling on to criticism of the incredible (sic) BAR on-track performances..

Tyrrell always seemed to enjoy participating, even if competing at the very front was not really on their radar in the latter stages
And remember that they ran as Tyrrell for a season after the BAT takeover. Long enough for people to get used to the name changing.
Old 10 Jan 2023, 09:23 (Ref:4139539)   #2023
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
There was quite a lot of negativity about BAR taking over Tyrrell at the time, especially with the brashness of Pollock, Reynard and Gorne etc. But it didn't last long - mind you neither did BAR.
Old 10 Jan 2023, 11:07 (Ref:4139547)   #2024
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
And remember that they ran as Tyrrell for a season after the BAT takeover. Long enough for people to get used to the name changing.
Should have run as British American Tyrrell (BAT)
Old 11 Jan 2023, 14:55 (Ref:4139724)   #2025
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
It's probably just us oldies that would be upset. the Netflix generation and Americans would be happy with Andretti sadly.