Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 29 Dec 2006, 22:58 (Ref:1801531)   #1
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Anthony Gobert is back...

for aussie fans racing in the australian superbike championship in a brand new kawasaki team - No.17 Muzzy’s LAE Concord Park Racing Team (No.17 MLCP Racing Team).

goodluck to "the go show"
Old 30 Dec 2006, 00:54 (Ref:1801575)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
always great to have Gobert back

Lets hope he can keep the ride and doesnt fall off the wagon again.

great news anyway if there is anyone more exciting on a bike I'd like to see it
Old 30 Dec 2006, 13:26 (Ref:1801753)   #3
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gobert is very talented but it's all been wasted by off-track issues. It's a shame really.
Old 30 Dec 2006, 15:42 (Ref:1801808)   #4
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What happened to his ride in the Spanish national championship?
Old 30 Dec 2006, 23:24 (Ref:1801993)   #5
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

only thing i ever heard about that ride was when he signed up to race - spanish formula xtreme i think....

just glad he is back racing - the australian superbike championship will be very strong in 2007. there will be 8 factory bikes (2 each from jap manufacturers) & mv augusta making a comeback too - pity ducati dont enter anymore

Last edited by gomick; 30 Dec 2006 at 23:26.
Old 1 Jan 2007, 06:52 (Ref:1802645)   #6
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
What happened to his ride in the Spanish national championship?
What I heard was that he qualified a second faster than his teamate, broke down in the race, then was sacked because he wasn't performing and promptly replaced by Garry McCoy.
Old 3 Jan 2007, 22:16 (Ref:1805606)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Any relation to the Muzzy team he raced for in WSBK?

Manoz is probably right, there are a few flashes of brilliance in his career but too mcuh of it was obscured by inconsistant performance and a questionable private life. When I first started following Superbikes he was the coming man, it's a shame he never made the most of his ability.
Old 4 Jan 2007, 17:31 (Ref:1806382)   #8
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To be honest I rated Gobert but a lot of his great rides came at tracks he knew well, he was always good in Oz and Japan places like that, and was also a great wet weather rider, but Russell pasted him more oftne than not and for me the way Suauki got rid of Russell for Gobert was insane, Scotty was a far more rounded rider
Old 4 Jan 2007, 23:01 (Ref:1806681)   #9
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He was offerered a seat with the Factory Castrol Honda squad just after he went on his Suzuki 500 GP adventure. If he had of held off he reckons he would have been "Two time WSBK Champion"
Old 5 Jan 2007, 11:27 (Ref:1806951)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh does he now?
Old 5 Jan 2007, 13:23 (Ref:1807429)   #11
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So why didnt he take the seat then eh?

Why would you turn down a Honda ride, and besides I very much doubyt he was offered a factory Honda as they were extremely annoyed by him signing for Kawasaki in the paddock at PI in 94!

Loada rubbish in my view.

He was one of those who talked the talked but really couldnt walk the walk i am afraid. Total waste of space and talent, imagine what someone like Westy, Mladin or Craggill (to name just Aussies) would have done with the chances that the thick idiot had in his time. Crazy
Old 6 Jan 2007, 06:49 (Ref:1807969)   #12
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gobert for me is one of those characters that no matter how much he screws up, you still find yourself cheering for him. Look foward to seeing him run in Australia again
Old 6 Jan 2007, 09:20 (Ref:1808006)   #13
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder
So why didnt he take the seat then eh?
Because he had just signed to go to 500s with Suzuki?

How old is Gobert now?
Old 6 Jan 2007, 11:00 (Ref:1808065)   #14
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
about 32 ish i would say, apologies for error.

But i am sure if Honda wanted him that much he could have started the next year or been on a retainer or a notice of intent maybe.

After what happened then I am sure HRC just got the barge pole out! and why shouldnt they!
Old 7 Jan 2007, 08:46 (Ref:1808680)   #15
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Poor old suzuki, they had such high hopes for '96. But with a crappy bike, and Beattie out injured most of the year...

On a side note, is it just me or was Scott Russel's helmet funky go crazy good looking or what?
Old 7 Jan 2007, 10:51 (Ref:1808721)   #16
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A fully-fit, committed Gobert on a Castrol Honda in 1997 would have been quite a prospect, although ultimately I'd say they got the right men in Kocinski and later Edwards, each of whom was more reliable and media-friendly.

As for Mladin, I'm sure a lot of WSBK champions would happily swap their CV for his. The AMA series may lack strength in depth, but there've always been a few awesome guys out there, and Mat's won it 6 times..... Great rider.
Old 8 Jan 2007, 01:24 (Ref:1809231)   #17
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Well, in the "glory' years he faced a pretty damn tough field? I can't remember who was in it 'cept Gobert, but i'll look it up.
Old 8 Jan 2007, 01:30 (Ref:1809232)   #18
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
1999 (Ama archives are broke, and don't show anything else)
Races winners (In championship order) were Mladin (1) Bostrum (1) Gobert (5!) Chandler (3) Duhammel (1)

Just a side note
Old 8 Jan 2007, 11:06 (Ref:1809442)   #19
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Thng is aswell with Matt that he was winning on the GSXR when no one else was. Even Chili was struggling in the early years remember, so for Matt to beat Ducatis, works Hondas, Kawasakis and Yamahas virtually single handedly is a fair feat.
Was readin an interview with him from early nineties and the way he was treated by Cagiva was terrible, he was riding a test mule most of the time, no wonder he kept crashing!
Old 8 Jan 2007, 14:22 (Ref:1809648)   #20
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
In fairness, Chili won 2 World Superbike races the same year Mladin won one, from about twice as many races but against a tougher field with more works support.
Old 8 Jan 2007, 17:55 (Ref:1809795)   #21
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I think Chilis best wins were at Monza against Edwards on teh Sp1, there was no way that bike was quicker than the Honda that day, it was just bare arsed determination from Chili!