Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Jan 2001, 09:01 (Ref:57971)   #1
Nuvolari
Racer

Nuvolari should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know who (aside from Speedvision) will carry the full F1 schedule for 2001 on US television?

My thanks.
Old 11 Jan 2001, 14:54 (Ref:58003)   #2
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
According to Speedvision, who say they are pulling out all the stops to secure TV rights, Bernie will not make a decision until one week before the season, presumably to milk the bidding until the very end. I cannot believe that Fox, owner of Speedvision, is going to spend whatever it takes because they already did that along with NBC for NASCAR. I expect ABC Sports/ESPN to secure rights because of their lack of NASCAR coverage and the fact that they exist in more homes in the US than Speedvision does. Perosnally I enjoyed Fox's coverage better than Speedvisions because Sam Posey is as deadpan and monotome as any announcer that has ever existed. The crew on Fox (i cannot remember their names) seemed more in the know and more entertaining. I also fear that ABS Sports/ESPN will only show the race in an effort to hurry up and show Sportscenter again and again. No prerace show and no postrace nterview is the norm for them.
Old 11 Jan 2001, 15:20 (Ref:58006)   #3
Nuvolari
Racer

Nuvolari should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I, too, enjoyed Fox coverage -- with Mike Joy and Derek Bell. I hope a non-premium channel does offer FULL coverage, though I share you skepticism.

Any other input will be much appreciated.
Old 11 Jan 2001, 23:43 (Ref:58103)   #4
Racer X
Rookie

Racer X should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sam is okay but it is Derek Daly, David Hobbes and the others that make it so boring. They alway talk about rpm's or hp or acceleration and speed. It gets repetative.
Old 12 Jan 2001, 02:05 (Ref:58114)   #5
Heeltoe6
Veteran

Heeltoe6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike Joy did an ok job, but face it he lends no historical or passionate perspective to the broadcast. Derek Bell was pretty good, I really like when he was partnered with John Watson when Joy was working a CBS Nascar race.

But I LOVE Speedvision's crew. Varsha's laid bvack style fits in well with F1, and I love Hobbs's and Posey's war stories and analysis. Racer X, Derek Daly does not do commentary for SV F1 coverage, and I believe he only worked 1 race as a pit reporter(the USGP)
In any case even though Newscorp does own a stake in SV, SV is the one bidding on the contract, not Fox Sports. The two operate quite separately, the fox connection is only an investment thing, but has little to do with any relationship the two netowrks have. But SV makes its decisions independently of what Fox Sports does, so the Nascar deal is a moot point
Old 12 Jan 2001, 03:20 (Ref:58117)   #6
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's going to be ESPN and ESPN2, with ABC doing Monaco & Indy.