Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 29 Sep 2007, 13:47 (Ref:2025704)   #1
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The UK Street Circuit challenge

The challenge - to create a street circuit suitable for the BTCC (plus another major international series, you can choose) anywhere in the UK. The pits/start should be in a location where the cars can be kept etc.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1354172

Here is my circuit in Manchester. The pits/paddock is on a short pit straight in the car park of Old Trafford. The other series would be the WTCC, but the DTM could do it. The course is chock-full with short straights and tight corners. Plenty of driving to the km.

I won't describe a lap as it will be a load of guff, but i'll just point out a couple of things.

John Gilbert Chicane (off John Gilbert way) - a left-right followed by another right left.
Railway Hairpin - Exit speed from here will be vital for the straight down to Europa, but exit speed from Gilbert is vital here.
Europa Hairpin - this one may want to be renamed Beijing hairpin. I could have extended it up to the roundabout, but closing the A road might be hard. The straights are narrow, but outbraking here will be possible. On entry, it will reward the brave.
Old 30 Sep 2007, 19:46 (Ref:2027246)   #2
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I made a track for Glasgow on another comp, it won it (). Can i use it here?
Old 1 Oct 2007, 17:21 (Ref:2028114)   #3
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1
I made a track for Glasgow on another comp, it won it (). Can i use it here?
Yeah, sure.
Old 2 Oct 2007, 08:00 (Ref:2028621)   #4
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1360727

St Albans

Pits/paddock could be by the golf and tennis centre
Old 2 Oct 2007, 13:02 (Ref:2028902)   #5
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Lustigson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cool track, Rockmunkey. Has a classic feel to it. And all those people in the residential areas complaining about noise polution will just have to shut it.
Old 2 Oct 2007, 15:05 (Ref:2029000)   #6
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Exactly!
Old 14 Oct 2007, 08:07 (Ref:2039656)   #7
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I came up with this in Liverpool

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2019/...1c45cf88_o.png

it's a bit Budapest-esque, long straights, tight chicanes. it's 4,3 kms long.

the crossing of a lot of bridges makes it quite impossible to realize, though
Old 14 Oct 2007, 15:35 (Ref:2039928)   #8
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ive got a good birmingham track, but I cant get the right scale for it ......
Old 15 Oct 2007, 17:13 (Ref:2040905)   #9
mandretti39
Veteran

Lithuania
Clay, NY USA
mandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here is a track for Liverpool...

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1391581

It's 2.5 miles long (the length given on the page includes the pits) and runs clockwise. The run along the water is a bit narrow, but it's a small area.
Old 15 Oct 2007, 19:25 (Ref:2041020)   #10
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
my track for glasgow, the pit entry would be just before that top chicane and the paddock would be all grass.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1391895
Old 15 Oct 2007, 21:42 (Ref:2041145)   #11
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Right here's a quick something of Edinburgh.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1392257

The start finish straight in in Holyrood Park, in the shadow of Arthur's Seat an extinct Volcano and runs left to right (anticlockwise). The pitlane begins by peeling off just prior to the final corner, and extends more than 300 metres before the trees begin.

Famous locations along the route include the Royal Mile (the Highstreet and Cannongate), The Scottish Parliament and Holyrood Palace.

The circuit appears very fast and straight forward, but anyone who's been to Edinburgh will know that there is many changes in elevation around the loop.
Old 16 Oct 2007, 16:35 (Ref:2041938)   #12
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nice track SBF

I noticed that the road around Arthur's Seat looked great for a track. Not really a street track - more parkland, 50's style, Bremgarten-esque - but looks fabulous nonetheless

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1393936
Old 17 Oct 2007, 01:16 (Ref:2042311)   #13
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I did that Arthur's Seat track once, though I didn't post it. I didn't add any chicanes though

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 17 Oct 2007, 06:39 (Ref:2042377)   #14
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Wow, that Arthur's Seat track is marvelous. Really great for 30s-60s style racing. I'm amazed that it hasn't ever been used for racing, though, with such a naturally flowing track with great elevation changes, too.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1395391

It's 5.2 km (3.2 mi) long and elevation changes from roughly 40 m (135 ft) to 150 m (495 ft) above sea level. It has some great drops, too.
Old 17 Oct 2007, 06:42 (Ref:2042378)   #15
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's mine in Liverpool

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1395247

and a map of the track showing street names & some pit lane building & grandstand location/detail

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 17 Oct 2007, 07:00 (Ref:2042380)   #16
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Here's some Google Earth views of Arthur's Seat Circuit:

1) Along the main straight

2) Towards the mountain

3) Behind the mountain
Old 17 Oct 2007, 07:08 (Ref:2042386)   #17
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
aaaa memories flooding back to me now of being drunk during hogmanay in princes street and at Arthur's seat !! aaa good times. (sorry completely off topic)
Old 17 Oct 2007, 10:45 (Ref:2042526)   #18
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Street Oval!!
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1395630

Look, I did it in about 30 seconds, but c'mon, there's room for something classic here?
Infield parking
views from the top of the multistorey car parks
shopping for the laydeez
Old 17 Oct 2007, 11:38 (Ref:2042582)   #19
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher
Infield parking
views from the top of the multistorey car parks
shopping for the laydeez
None of which are accessable because the circuit closely encircles the complex.
Old 17 Oct 2007, 13:35 (Ref:2042681)   #20
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
pedant...
thanks for the nice welcome here tho'
Old 17 Oct 2007, 13:48 (Ref:2042697)   #21
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
edited to conform to SBF's sensibilities

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1395923

a nice hybrid of Germanic Street circuits and American car parks
Avallas

Last edited by Bodysnatcher; 17 Oct 2007 at 13:51.
Old 17 Oct 2007, 18:10 (Ref:2042919)   #22
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Introducing the ...

CAMDEN GRAND PRIX

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1396484

Street circuit in/very near to Camden ...
Old 17 Oct 2007, 18:58 (Ref:2042960)   #23
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
Ok, getting the hang of Gmaps, Bluewater was just a toe in the water so to speak, but since the Glasgow and Edinburgh circuits are more class than crass, how's about this for

City of London

Pits on the other lane of London Bridge
Paddock & assembly "Ken's Testicle" or GLA City Hall
It's got a crossover
& a Monegasque style tunnel under Cannon Stret Station
& Tower Bridge for those "Hot Wheels" jumps
multiple 4 or 5 star hotels for the folks
maybe Charlie Whiting should check it out
Old 18 Oct 2007, 19:27 (Ref:2043905)   #24
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi. I've done one for my home village, a place on the western edge of the Lake District called Seascale. It's only a small track at 1.73km (or 1m) - but even if BTCC couldn't do it (and I fail the challenge, maybe it would be good for FBMW or something).

The lap would start on the straight in the bottom left of the picture, on Gosforth Road, moving clockwise. There is a lay-by next to this straight, which ordinarily serves a garage, which would act as a pit area. The T1 left is to avoid meeting the rest of the circuit later in the lap, and takes cars round past the houses and then after the sharp-right of T3, up a hill. The T4 U-bend swings round to the right. The the left of T5 marks the start of a further small incline. At T6, Gosforth Road is rejoined by the cars, which plummet downhill towards the hairpin bend of T7, doubling-back on themselves before reaching T8, a ninety-degree right-hander. Cars then sweep around the Santon Way back-straight (my house is at the end, on the right, a touch before the final corner!).

Thoughts?

Forgot to add the track!:
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1398971

Last edited by Chiefy; 18 Oct 2007 at 19:30.
Old 18 Oct 2007, 19:48 (Ref:2043923)   #25
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Circuit is ok ...nice village. Just a pity Seascale is parked next to Windscale ... or Sellafield as most people know it these days.