Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 21 Apr 2005, 21:46 (Ref:1284166)   #1
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who Will ABC Choose To Replace DeFerran?

I guess most of you know by now that Gil DeFerran has left the IRL announcing booth and will be heading to BAR in F1. I wish Gil luck in his new venture, because quite honestly, his commentating just wasn't that good. His constant statements like, "I'm to scared to watch", or ohhh, there to close!" just wasn't cutting it IMO.

I'm hoping for an outsider, like Lee Diffey from Speed Channel, who IMO, is easily the most exciting commentator in the business. His Grand Am, ALMS, and Speed Challenge calls are phenomenal.

So who do you think ABC/ESPN will choose?

Danica Patrick
Old 21 Apr 2005, 23:48 (Ref:1284232)   #2
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's hope it's Parker Johnstone.
Old 21 Apr 2005, 23:52 (Ref:1284233)   #3
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK, I'll bite, who is Parker Johnstone?

Danica Patrick
Old 22 Apr 2005, 06:20 (Ref:1284319)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He's a former Sportscar and IndyCar driver of some repute, who also proved to be a good commentator in the "expert/ex-driver" role.
Old 22 Apr 2005, 10:37 (Ref:1284459)   #5
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
He was pretty nifty behind the wheel (not sure if he is still driving anything these days) but he is also a Mark Donohue type: terrific grip on the engineering side of things with the ability to clearly explain things from the driving and mechanical aspects of things.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 22 Apr 2005, 10:44 (Ref:1284469)   #6
bigjon
Racer

bigjon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP Racer
I guess most of you know by now that Gil DeFerran has left the IRL announcing booth and will be heading to BAR in F1. I wish Gil luck in his new venture, because quite honestly, his commentating just wasn't that good. His constant statements like, "I'm to scared to watch", or ohhh, there to close!" just wasn't cutting it IMO.

I'm hoping for an outsider, like Lee Diffey from Speed Channel, who IMO, is easily the most exciting commentator in the business. His Grand Am, ALMS, and Speed Challenge calls are phenomenal.

So who do you think ABC/ESPN will choose?
well it wont be leigh diffey as he's based in Auz covering V8s for Channel 10; the feed that goes worldwide as well
Old 22 Apr 2005, 10:47 (Ref:1284473)   #7
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.ktsmotorsportsgarage.com/quiz/quiz16.html
Old 22 Apr 2005, 14:13 (Ref:1284596)   #8
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
chances are it'll be Robbie Buhl, since Johnstone never raced at indy and buhl already does color for the IPS races and did some of the Indy qualifying for them last year. I also wouldn't be suprised if it was Al Unser Jr.
Old 22 Apr 2005, 17:41 (Ref:1284710)   #9
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Johnstone never raced at Indy? I didn't realize that.

He's one of my all-time favourite drivers, and he was excellent in the booth.

Last I heard, he was commentating boat racing or something. Perhaps it was drag-racing.
Old 22 Apr 2005, 23:53 (Ref:1284826)   #10
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP Racer
Quite a few on the Aussie Forum wouldn't agree. We'd be more than happy for him to go back overseas

How is Todd Harris going compared to Paul Page?
Old 23 Apr 2005, 00:01 (Ref:1284827)   #11
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It turns out BAR is good for something, saving us from De Faren's commentary.

Do they really need an extra commentator? I hope it's someone who is highly knowledgable and not dorky and doesn't treat viewers like morons. (I'm not saying that basic explanations aren't needed for newer viewers)

GP, you didn't watch CC in the mid-late 90s (when Parker raced) or later when Parker was a commentator? His first podium, a second at Long Beach was the most excited I've seen anyone other than Max Papis get. Although Papis doesn't seem to get as excited in sports cars as he did in CC.
Old 23 Apr 2005, 10:10 (Ref:1284962)   #12
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy
Johnstone never raced at Indy? I didn't realize that.

He's one of my all-time favourite drivers, and he was excellent in the booth.

Last I heard, he was commentating boat racing or something. Perhaps it was drag-racing.
I didn't know he never raced at Indy either.

From what I can gather (after a quick Google-search) Johnstone has dropped his NHRA gig and recently opened at Honda dealership in Oregon.

On a different note, wasn't it Parker Johnstone who had his helmet pierced by a suspension piece when he wrecked in the 1997 CART race at Michigan?
Old 25 Apr 2005, 21:10 (Ref:1287353)   #13
Xpunk75
Racer

United States
Detroit
Xpunk75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who Cares?

Who really cares anyway?
Old 26 Apr 2005, 04:54 (Ref:1287573)   #14
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I think that the commentary-team is very important, Xpunk. Especially for a series which is striving to grow their fanbase. Not only must they provide a good product and an exciting show, but the broadcasts must be entertaining and informative or people will start changing channels to watch golf.
Old 28 Apr 2005, 20:47 (Ref:1289673)   #15
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
From what I've been seeing, it looks as though they won't be replacing DeFerran in the booth.

That's just as well as far as I'm concerned. Sometime to many guys in the booth step on top of each other in an attempt to make a call. I think Goodyear is a good, solid analyst, and I think that Todd Harris was great addition this year, bringing some real youthful enthusiasm and excitement to the broadcasting booth. Let's hope these two guys gel well!

Macdaddy is exactly right, the commentary team is very important!

Danica Patrick