Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Oct 2023, 11:33 (Ref:4182761)   #426
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't go with the 'as he should be' bit, unless he can finish the season with the kind of flourish with which he started it. I'm feeling that his time is coming to a close...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Will admit to wanting to see Albon back in there with another shot.
I personally think it would be a very bad move. Anyone who takes that second seat risks being snuffed out by the Horner/Marko/Verstappen machine. He's better off staying where he is and pressing on with the Williams improvement...
Old 24 Oct 2023, 18:21 (Ref:4182836)   #427
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I don't go with the 'as he should be' bit, unless he can finish the season with the kind of flourish with which he started it. I'm feeling that his time is coming to a close...

I personally think it would be a very bad move. Anyone who takes that second seat risks being snuffed out by the Horner/Marko/Verstappen machine. He's better off staying where he is and pressing on with the Williams improvement...

To a certain extent, that is what is happening to Perez, except he hasn't been completely snuffed out because RBR would like him to finish as runner up, which they just missed out on last year. They will keep him as long as they need him to fulfill his role, which is essentially as the number two driver.
Old 24 Oct 2023, 22:29 (Ref:4182872)   #428
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post

Pretty much my thinking on this subject too.
Ricciardo had as much F1 racimg experience as Lawson this year and overall I would venture the Kiwi did a better job with what he had.
Unless DR pulls something special out of the drawer in the last few rounds, I just don't see the value in running him next year..
Old 24 Oct 2023, 22:48 (Ref:4182875)   #429
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
https://au.motorsport.com/f1/news/pe...bull/10537163/

Time to move on and accept Checo will be there in 2024 (for the start at least)
Old 25 Oct 2023, 00:10 (Ref:4182882)   #430
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post

Absolutely.
His pace is fine.
Why do I say that? Because Max was consistently doing 1.40'1.41 over the second half of the race.
No one got anywhere near the pole times under 1.35 or Q3 times. Yuki did the fastest race lap and he wasn't in Q3.
The race was about conserving tyres,, and getting the car to the finish in good shape. Strategy.

If Red Bull want to get perez back to early season form then they need to be tailoring the set up for his car to be what is best for him, not trying to get him to match Max with Max's set ups.
Checo is perfectly capable of driving quick enough to win races, or second to Max, score podiums, etc, in a dominant car that is set up to suit his preferential style.
No driver drives consistently at or near the front in a car he doesn't have confidence in. Kimi, Massa, Schumacher, Alonso, Hamilton or max. Non of them do.
Pundits who are expecting Perez to do so is just insane.
Old 25 Oct 2023, 04:30 (Ref:4182893)   #431
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Agreed,

Its all a built up Media Train to railroad him out. Still holding strong in the standings.
Old 25 Oct 2023, 06:59 (Ref:4182899)   #432
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Honestly, as badly as he's doing, he's the best choice out of the ones RBR have deemed eligible for that seat.
Old 25 Oct 2023, 07:31 (Ref:4182900)   #433
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Honestly, as badly as he's doing, he's the best choice out of the ones RBR have deemed eligible for that seat.
Yes, he’s doing awfully, on target for the best ever year of a RBR #2…
Old 25 Oct 2023, 07:54 (Ref:4182902)   #434
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Depends on how you view that. He's also on target to have the largest deficit to the RBR #1 in the history of the team....

In terms of competitiveness of car, and in comparison to their teammate - 2010 was a much better year for the RBR #2.
Old 25 Oct 2023, 08:08 (Ref:4182904)   #435
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Man, you really should spend time reading the thread and understanding the context of what I said, rather than talking about you """paddock sources"""
Old 25 Oct 2023, 10:19 (Ref:4182920)   #436
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
I see the point missed as often.

The history books will show the first Red Bull 1-2 in the points. RB PR machine remains as effective as ever.

The endless overthinking is simply BS and RBR use the noise to hoover up Latin sponsors.
Old 25 Oct 2023, 11:08 (Ref:4182925)   #437
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
That is literally the point that I, and several others, have made in this thread.

However, since we're missing points, I should point out that this fact hasn't mattered much to RBR management, who have continually criticised him. And that is why we're having this discussion.
Old 25 Oct 2023, 11:49 (Ref:4182932)   #438
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
That is literally the point that I, and several others, have made in this thread.

However, since we're missing points, I should point out that this fact hasn't mattered much to RBR management, who have continually criticised him. And that is why we're having this discussion.
No problem. Although Dr Marko is supposedly not “RBR management” lol.
Old 25 Oct 2023, 13:17 (Ref:4182952)   #439
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Depends on how you view that. He's also on target to have the largest deficit to the RBR #1 in the history of the team....

In terms of competitiveness of car, and in comparison to their teammate - 2010 was a much better year for the RBR #2.

The difference between 2010 and now, is Perez is on target to be runner up, which Webber wasn't. Perez just missed out on being runner up last year and I'm sure that's something RBR would want to achieve.
Old 25 Oct 2023, 14:08 (Ref:4182963)   #440
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The difference between 2010 and now, is Perez is on target to be runner up, which Webber wasn't. Perez just missed out on being runner up last year and I'm sure that's something RBR would want to achieve.
For the record books, I get that. A 1-2 in the WDC is a not very common occurrence.
It doesn't mean that it is the best RBR #2 performance though. If you look at how far behind Max he is, then it looks like a sub-par performance benefitted by a car that is way in front of the field.
It will always be subjective though.
Old 25 Oct 2023, 14:50 (Ref:4182969)   #441
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
For the record books, I get that. A 1-2 in the WDC is a not very common occurrence.
It doesn't mean that it is the best RBR #2 performance though. If you look at how far behind Max he is, then it looks like a sub-par performance benefitted by a car that is way in front of the field.

I think what looks like a sub-par performance is primarily due to the car being dialed in to suit Max.

As Teretonga said in post #430

''If Red Bull want to get Perez back to early season form then they need to be tailoring the set up for his car to be what is best for him, not trying to get him to match Max with Max's set ups.''
Old 25 Oct 2023, 14:54 (Ref:4182970)   #442
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Arguably Mark Webbers 2011 performance was marginally better than Perez 2023. But for RBR that's the only one I can think of that's there. Webbers 2013 was pretty shocking.
Old 25 Oct 2023, 15:32 (Ref:4182973)   #443
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
If Red Bull want to get perez back to early season form then they need to be tailoring the set up for his car to be what is best for him, not trying to get him to match Max with Max's set ups.
in an era of constrained resources, money, and time how much effort can a team put into optimizing the car for their second driver? at what point would this approach begin to compromise their first car efforts?

perhaps this is less of a compromise early season vs late season where they may now be thinking more of getting a march on next season where RB will face more restrictions on their money and time relative to the other teams (due the the cap rules right?).

while a 1-2 finish would be great but surely securing 1st place with Max next year is a greater priority than developing a car that Perez likes more?

in that light, securing a 2nd driver whose style is more similar to Max' preferences might mean that that 2nd driver would then have a car that suits them better while not having to compromise on additional help in setting up/optimizing Max' car?

anyways, its the 2nd seat of one of the most dominate cars ever...only natural to speculate what could have been had someone else been in it imo!
Old 25 Oct 2023, 18:54 (Ref:4182986)   #444
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
in an era of constrained resources, money, and time how much effort can a team put into optimizing the car for their second driver? at what point would this approach begin to compromise their first car efforts?
I could be wrong, but I took Teretonga's comments to be not about optimizing core characteristics of the car, but rather event based setup. I had always assumed that each side of the garage is doing their own setup (spring rates, damper settings, ride height, etc.). However they may have come to the event with ideas of what the simulators are saying will be a good base setup that both drivers might start out with.

I know there have always been stories of a driver not being able to get his setup correct and then just copying his teammates setup. And then some level of keeping setups secret from each other. Usually when the teammates are battling each other for the championship.

I can expect that you can adjust a car to more fit your style, but if you are fighting the nature of the car (and it's natural window for it's best performance), you might create a setup that works for you, is easy to drive and lastly... slow.

Who knows what is going on within RBR with respect to setup. My general impression is that Perez's problems are less with the car than himself. But the following statement also likely fits in...

Quote:
No driver drives consistently at or near the front in a car he doesn't have confidence in.
I can't agree with this strongly enough. I suspect some of us have done some level of performance driving or racing at various levels (very amateur to higher levels). And anyone who has, knows that this is absolutely the truth. Having a car that you can trust is an amazing thing for both your confidence in your ability and ability to push the limits. You can just stop worrying and focus on driving. Having a car that you fear will bite you without warning will destroy your ability to perform.

Richard
Old 25 Oct 2023, 21:03 (Ref:4182998)   #445
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
2010, despite the standings, was a better season for RB as Webber was on target to win the whole thing up until the last race. Had he not bottled Korea and won the title, it's highly likely it would have still been a 1-3 in Webber's favour with Seb 3rd.

Checo this year is nowhere near even threatening that, but will still probably fall into P2 thanks to the best car on the grid.
Old 25 Oct 2023, 21:04 (Ref:4182999)   #446
Skam85
Veteran

Quote:
Arguably Mark Webbers 2011 performance was marginally better than Perez 2023. But for RBR that's the only one I can think of that's there. Webbers 2013 was pretty shocking.
I think Mark mentally checked out after Malaysia 2013
Old 25 Oct 2023, 21:05 (Ref:4183000)   #447
Skam85
Veteran

Quote:
Absolutely.
His pace is fine.
Why do I say that? Because Max was consistently doing 1.40'1.41 over the second half of the race.
No one got anywhere near the pole times under 1.35 or Q3 times. Yuki did the fastest race lap and he wasn't in Q3.
The race was about conserving tyres,, and getting the car to the finish in good shape. Strategy.

Checo is perfectly capable of driving quick enough to win races, or second to Max, score podiums, etc, in a dominant car that is set up to suit his preferential style.
No driver drives consistently at or near the front in a car he doesn't have confidence in. Kimi, Massa, Schumacher, Alonso, Hamilton or max. Non of them do.
Pundits who are expecting Perez to do so is just insane.
With Checo's experience (10th all time), he should be the one driving the setup changes to suit him, not the team.

He has plenty of experience driving poor cars, and now he's struggling because the best car he's ever driven is more suited to his teammate? Nah.
Old 26 Oct 2023, 07:24 (Ref:4183036)   #448
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Checo needs the full support of his team. To be fair Horner has been more constructive in his criticism than Marko has.
Old 3 Jan 2024, 14:25 (Ref:4190669)   #449
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
It is being reported that the 24 RBR had failed FIA crash tests.

It seems the same happened previously, but never this late in the development schedule.

Could they start 24 on the back foot?
Old 3 Jan 2024, 14:35 (Ref:4190670)   #450
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm sure that I'm not mistaken that I read an online article from one of the reputable motor sport magazines fairly recently that the crash testing is now done in a computer generated virtual scenario rather that using actual racing cars. If this is actually correct, I wouldn't think that it would take too much time to correct the computer generated car to meet the required criteria.