Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Jul 2000, 17:52 (Ref:23925)   #1
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I'm not sure if this should be here, Historic or Armchair Enthusiast, but it could be relevant in all three. I trust Gerard or EERO will place it gently where it should belong.

I, like most people I expect, bought the 50th anniversary issue of Autosport last week. At 268 pages, it's by far the weightiest issue yet. I'm only now making my way towards the back, and the year by year analysis of motorsport events, with an obvious emphasis on Formula 1.

What surprised me most was the piece for 1994 on page 241.
At the time, obviously after learning of Sennas death, I paid little attention to the other events that weekend.
Everyone knows that, beyond the loss of the Williams driver, Roland Ratzenburger lost his life the day before. What I didn't know was the number of incidents and accidents in the days leading up to the race on sunday.

1. During Friday qualifying, Barrichello had a 140mph crash, inverted the car and fell unconcious.
2. 18 minutes into final qualifying on the Saturday, Roland Ratzenburger's Simtek 'failed to negotiate the Villeneuvekink, and slammed into the wall at close to 200mph'. Roland was pronounced dead at Bolonga hospital that afternoon.
3. On the startline, Pedro Lamy's Lotus 'slammed into the back of JJ Lehto's stalled Benetton' and a wheel cleared the safety fencing, injuring eight spectators and a policeman.
4. After the startline incident, the safety car came 'round to take up the leaders while the debris was cleared. The race started once more, but the following lap, Senna lost control at Tamburello, and died instantly.
5. The race was red flagged, but restarted. During the pit stop of Michele Alboreto, his Minardi lost a wheel, and four mechanics were injured. Of the Ferrari mechanics injured, one was OK, another had a broken knee, and a third was kept in hospital overnight after bruising his ribs. The lotus mechanic involved, Neil Baldry was knocked unconcious.

This was news to me. If Ratzenburgers death is often overshadowed by that of Senna, then one never hears of the injuries of the others.

other incidents in the '94 season included injuries for Pedro Lamy at Silverstone, Karl Wendlingers crash and subsequent coma at Monaco and finally Andrea Montermini was hurt at Barcelona.

I just wanted to say, what a terrible season '94 was. I know it's easy to forget the past, when there's always the next race looming, but amongst all the calls for 'more speed here, and faster corners there', a moment to reflect on the season that promted the safety calls would be wise.

End of ramble, thanks.
Old 18 Jul 2000, 22:05 (Ref:23974)   #2
jarama
Racer

jarama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good point, Sparky.
Old 18 Jul 2000, 22:45 (Ref:23985)   #3
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sparky, I'll leave your post where it is-I think its where it belongs.

Looking at Minardifan's F1 questionaire, the events of that dreadful weekend are almost unanimously chosen as the "worst moment in F1 history."

I have been an F1 fan since the early seventies, when it seemed that all my heroes were dying with an all too alarming frequency. Through the eighties and into the nineties, I think we were lulled into a sense that the horror was behind us. I for one was brought up short by the weekend at Imola in 94-for those who were there, it must have been an absolute nightmare.

It had been a long time since I had felt that awful sick feeling in my gut, saddness coupled with the guilt that as a fan, I was in some small way responsible for this tragic event. Not only the injuries you mentioned occurred-Let's not forget Hakinnen's terrible accident at the end of '95. Both Lehto and Alesi suffered neck injuries which I think had a serious impact upon their careers.

You are right, Sparky, it is easy to call for faster tracks and more speed and to forget the possible cost. Thanks for reminding us.
Old 19 Jul 2000, 09:23 (Ref:24057)   #4
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The strange thing is there do seem to be some years which are particularly bad for the sport. '82 is one which springs to mind, and '70 was another.

It has to be pointed out that no matter what is done, racing will be, to some extent, dangerous. It cannot help but be dangerous because of the forces involved with cars travelling at upto 200mph. The paradox is that the drivers, officials and spectators are more excited by fast challenging corners, than slow fiddly chicanes. Again, if you look at Minardi Fans questionaire, Eau Rouge is easily our favourite corner.

I'll leave you with the thought that Peter Revson always wore a bracelet inscribed "Danger sweetens all".