Old 25 Jan 2005, 01:28 (Ref:1209122)   #1
f1freak
Racer

Australia
Sydney
f1freak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My Tracks Challenge #2... Farell

Here we go ...

Back during the war, Farell was used as a reserve runway just in case the main one was bombed. However, the runway became seen as being useless after the war, so the southern part of the runway became a dragway. However, due to its position in the country, it attracted very few people, and was eventually shut down.

Now, Farell has grown dramatically over the last many years, and its airstrip is barely recognisable. However, the land has been assigned to you (yes you, believe it, not Tilke ) to design a dragway and a racing circuit. The racing circuit MUST be a permanent road course, and the local roads can be diverted, as long as its in the confinds of the project area.

As a sign of tradition, you must use some of the original airstrip in the circuit and/or dragway. You must also preserve some of the southern part of the dragway as well.

The circuit MUST BE COUNTER-CLOCKWISE and at least 2km.

The dragway must be a safe distance. (For those who don't know, a dragway must be 400m + safe stopping distance, which would be around 600m)

Have fun ...

Last edited by f1freak; 25 Jan 2005 at 01:28.
Old 25 Jan 2005, 03:39 (Ref:1209166)   #2
f1freak
Racer

Australia
Sydney
CHANGES IN THE RULES!!!....

You can put the roads outside the shaded area, however, you can't go too far out, and you can't get too close to the highway...

Also, you need to have an entrance/exit on the highway in order for people to reach the circuit easier...

Sorry for the lateness ...
Old 25 Jan 2005, 14:43 (Ref:1209596)   #3
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cool, I'll have a go at this soon
Old 25 Jan 2005, 16:12 (Ref:1209658)   #4
Magical Trevor
Veteran

United States
New Britain, CT; Local Track: Lime Rock
Magical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMagical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMagical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
yes, I'm working on mine now.
I'm glad for that second post, going by your original rules would make for a pretty buggered-up track
*Yes, I used to be RacerGuy2. You don't really think I'd stick with that name the whole time now did you? ;)
Old 25 Jan 2005, 17:29 (Ref:1209717)   #5
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
the_royksopp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice . I'll prolly have a go tomorrow.
Old 25 Jan 2005, 19:47 (Ref:1209792)   #6
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
Ill even try and have a go... but knowing big shots who have been given lots of money and who dont know what they are doing... I think it might be a disaster

Ill post it in the morning

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 25 Jan 2005, 20:13 (Ref:1209809)   #7
Magical Trevor
Veteran

United States
Magical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMagical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMagical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
hmm, even with the new rules, it is quite hard to find a place to put those roads and make it look like they're still both needed-as well as traffic considerations, etc....

Last edited by Magical Trevor; 25 Jan 2005 at 20:14.
*Yes, I used to be RacerGuy2. You don't really think I'd stick with that name the whole time now did you? ;)
Old 25 Jan 2005, 21:09 (Ref:1209838)   #8
wensleydale
Veteran

England
wensleydale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwensleydale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Ok, here's my effort...

Quote:
You can put the roads outside the shaded area, however, you can't go too far out, and you can't get too close to the highway...
The roads have been diverted around the northern and western perimeter. There is a chance that this layout will cause increased traffic on the new section. To reduce race traffic using this section, two site access roads have been built one to the north, and one to the south.
Quote:
you need to have an entrance/exit on the highway in order for people to reach the circuit easier...
The exit has been constructed near the south entrance to the circuit, and features a roundabout as this allows the traffic to flow more freely than traffic lights.

Onto the circuit itself...
Quote:
As a sign of tradition, you must use some of the original airstrip in the circuit and/or dragway. You must also preserve some of the southern part of the dragway as well.
The northern section of teh airstrip has been lengthened and widened to form the drag strip which should just meet the required length. The southern section of airstrip has been incorperated into the main circuit, as have large sections of the roads which used to cross the plot. (the roads have been used to reduce the overall cost of the project)
Quote:
The circuit MUST BE at least 2km.
Circuit is well over minimum distance

I think thats about it for the technicalities, so what do you think?
Old 25 Jan 2005, 22:07 (Ref:1209905)   #9
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I like it. The first few corners would be interesting, then a twistier sprint back to the start line. Very compact too.
Old 26 Jan 2005, 01:13 (Ref:1210029)   #10
f1freak
Racer

Australia
Sydney
Magical Trevor, it's quite easy to make a track in the space given, so yea...

wensleydale, Nice track. Glad to see you've taken into consideration ALL the rules. However, the dragway does seem to be a little bit unsafe with not a lot of run off area and emergency braking places etc...

However, who really cares about that. You've managed to move the roads around quite well (differently from what I'm gonna do), however nicely done though.

The track is very nice as well. It's (as p said) a twisty sprint up the back. Good mix of corners, without a lot of true straights. Also, I think you've left plenty of room for spectator parking and places for watching the race...

Good job...
Old 26 Jan 2005, 09:39 (Ref:1210162)   #11
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1freak
Back during the war, Farell was used as a reserve runway just in case the main one was bombed...
Well during the inspection of the race site it was found that the whole area was undermined and riddled with underground tunnels which had been used in the war. Our engineers incorporated these by diverting both roads underneath the site. Also a war museum was created in one of the unused tunnels thus creating an attraction on non race days!

Also never seen in racing before! We have used one of the tunnels for the race circuit! Silly you might say as we won’t be able to see the cars! Wrong! The tunnel's roof has been decked out with glass (or other appropriate see through material) and spectators can stand on top and see the cars whizzing past below them!

I also have 2 entrances but also two off ramps from the motorway. The drag strip has its own smaller paddock and access to the start of the drag strip. There are earth mounds for the spectators and two foot bridges for the spectators are also provided.

Development was almost stopped when, just south of the drag strip paddock, a rare species of earthworm was found! Fortunately the nature department agreed for us to create woodland where the earthworm could flourish and survive!

Quote:
As a sign of tradition, you must use some of the original airstrip in the circuit and/or drag way. You must also preserve some of the southern part of the drag way as well.
The race circuit and drag strip are both incorporated in the main straight. This has been made wider that the rest of the track so that a devider can be put in place during drag races.

Quote:
The circuit MUST BE COUNTER-CLOCKWISE and at least 2km.
Check! and Check! :P

Quote:
Have fun ...
Woohoo I think I did

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 26 Jan 2005, 10:00 (Ref:1210176)   #12
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
I like your track Wens. Especially impressed by the roundabouts. I would not have thought od that.

Nice one

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 26 Jan 2005, 10:20 (Ref:1210184)   #13
wensleydale
Veteran

England
wensleydale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwensleydale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar21
Well during the inspection of the race site it was found that the whole area was undermined and riddled with underground tunnels which had been used in the war.
* wensleydale slaps his surveyor
Ah well, i guess i'll just have to fill those up with concrete
Old 26 Jan 2005, 11:34 (Ref:1210238)   #14
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nice tracks ill have ago later :x
Old 26 Jan 2005, 15:10 (Ref:1210397)   #15
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
Nice .
Old 26 Jan 2005, 18:00 (Ref:1210531)   #16
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Lustigson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ooh, it's been a long time since the last challenge. Looks pretty cool

I like your version, Cougar!
Old 27 Jan 2005, 22:37 (Ref:1211586)   #17
Magical Trevor
Veteran

United States

Well, here ya go.
Not 100% done, but close enough.
The top-left portion kinda reminds me of Catalunya, the rest is just, er.. twistiness
I think it came out alright, I was even able to fit in 8 variants (counting reverse-direction); and the second pitstraight could be used to accommodate extra cars for endurance events
Old 27 Jan 2005, 23:15 (Ref:1211633)   #18
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Sweet
Old 27 Jan 2005, 23:42 (Ref:1211658)   #19
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here is mine:

(You can imagine how I would have moved the roads...)

(Oh, and I didn't put in a dragstrip as that is a daft sport anyway )

Last edited by Ian Sowman; 27 Jan 2005 at 23:49.
Old 27 Jan 2005, 23:55 (Ref:1211669)   #20
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Actually when you think of the scale of it, those hairpins should be a lot tighter...
Old 28 Jan 2005, 00:25 (Ref:1211679)   #21
f1freak
Racer

Australia
Sydney
Cougar21... quite imaginative there with the 'underground tunnels'. The overall layout is nicely done, reminds me a bit of Valencia somehow. Personally, I don't like the dragstrip being a part of the circuit itself, but thats just me. Good job...

M.T.... Quite cramped aye ... However, there are worse. You've used the land as much as you can, which is great to see. Good job...

Ian... I like the track itself, however, like you said, its very wide. But that's all you've drawn so ...

Still waiting on yours Lust, P, FW, tr and Mike...

I'll post mine up tomorrow...
Old 28 Jan 2005, 00:29 (Ref:1211681)   #22
Flaming_Wuzzle
Racer

United States
a house
Flaming_Wuzzle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not even going to try, Trev's is too good.
Old 28 Jan 2005, 10:43 (Ref:1211893)   #23
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Lustigson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trever, your track looks... well... magical.

And, my goodness, where did all the new member suddenly come from?
Old 28 Jan 2005, 10:49 (Ref:1211899)   #24
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
M/G good track mate as everyone else has said... bit cramped but name somewhere that isnt :P
nice work mate.
Old 28 Jan 2005, 14:59 (Ref:1212053)   #25
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
Trev, that's really nice . A bit long though, if you take the scale into consideration?

I'm not sure i've got the time to do a version...