Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Apr 2001, 20:58 (Ref:76180)   #1
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't know about you guys, but I was cringing as the field parted at speed around Mika's stalled McLaren. It was a tense moment and I'm happy no one hit him. Unfortunately, he started waving just before the lights went out and it seems it eas too late to halt the Start.

The Fates were watching out for Mika Hakkinen today.
Old 1 Apr 2001, 21:28 (Ref:76215)   #2
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And they were watching out for those coming from behind as well. Wasn't that how Riccardo Paletti was killed, when he crashed into a stalled car? (Pironi's?)

I had to wait for the replay to see what really happened in the front at the start, at first I thought it was Ralf second. When I first viewed the start, all I looked at was Mika's stalled McLaren, praying no-one would hit it from behind.
Old 1 Apr 2001, 21:29 (Ref:76216)   #3
Jeanburrasca81
Racer

Jeanburrasca81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, Hakka was too late. Bad luck but good for the championship, who knows what will happen with DC 19 points ahead of MH.
Old 1 Apr 2001, 21:43 (Ref:76231)   #4
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To top it off - Mika's been hit with a $5000 fine as well. That would'nt make him to happy either! But that was certainly a bad situation - and the guys in the back did a great job getting around him especially the BAR who almost swerved into the wall trying to avoid Mika!
Old 1 Apr 2001, 22:24 (Ref:76251)   #5
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What!!! He was fined $5000 for what? Almost getting killed!!
That a cruel joke, next i'll be hearing that Barrichello is getting off scot free for his three successive punts!
Old 2 Apr 2001, 10:39 (Ref:76455)   #6
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Probably for mereley stalling his car. Just proves that uphill start at the front of the grid really is an s o d.
Old 2 Apr 2001, 17:22 (Ref:76614)   #7
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No no, he was fined for not putting his steering wheel back in place. That made it a lot more difficult for the marshals to get his stalled car out of the way.
Old 2 Apr 2001, 22:13 (Ref:76752)   #8
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Eero, you weren't the only one cringing. I remember seeing that start-line crash in Montreal back in '81 or '82? and the unpleasant memory came back clearly. I'm pretty certain that it was Pironi's Ferrari that stalled.
Old 2 Apr 2001, 22:18 (Ref:76755)   #9
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was in 1982 that Ricardo Palletti was killed smacking into the back of Pironi's stalled Ferrari.

And it was Panis that came within an inch of smacking the back of Hakkinen. Lucky Boy.

Still, I think the standing starts are quite safe. If nobody has been killed in one since 1982, I don't think the argument that they should be changed is very valid.
Old 3 Apr 2001, 00:09 (Ref:76804)   #10
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure it was just a reflex for Mika to take his wheel with him, as he was no doubt thinking of getting himself off the track before the cars came round again and maybe didn't even realise he still had the wheel. I'm sure it was worth the $5K to him. (He probably finds that much under the sofa cushions every week anyway.)

Does Erja come to the races this year? Has she started breathing again?
Old 3 Apr 2001, 01:25 (Ref:76813)   #11
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Paletti crashing into Pironi was exactly what I was thinking about. I'm not in favour of ditching Standing Starts, safety rules have been implemented to prevent such disasters. I know it was a close thing, but I think the start could have been aborted.
Old 3 Apr 2001, 16:59 (Ref:76963)   #12
AlteredGrizz
Rookie

AlteredGrizz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Poor Paletti, he didn't have a chance

That is what i was thinking when i seen Mika stall his engine.What a bad year that was 82, just 3 weeks after Gilles death , we see Paletti in his first race hit Pironi and it was a discusting site, because we had all the camera angles and then to see the car explode. Sad sad day.
They should of stoped the race after seeing Mika stalled his engine. Again bad judgement in Brazil.