Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 May 2001, 14:26 (Ref:89658)   #1
renaultbel
Racer

renaultbel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hakkinen's Future Unclear

McLaren's Mercedes sporting director Norbert Haug has quashed claims that their star driver Mika Hakkinen is about to call it a day.

'I can 100 percent guarantee that there is no truth to any of this,' he said.
Hakkinen's contract as in the case of team-mate David Coulthard, expires at the end of this season, with many predicting as long ago as last year, that the Finnish driver would pack it in at the end of 2001 especially once it was discovered he was about to become a father.
The rumours surrounding Hakkinen's future, were first fuelled after the double world champion revealed in his opinion it was 'too dangerous' to continue in Formula One once the responsibility of children entered the equation.
Further doubts surfaced recently when the Finn's manager Keke Rosberg refused to confirm that Hakkinen would be racing for McLaren next year.
Old 6 May 2001, 15:17 (Ref:89676)   #2
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Everything looks like he'll be retiring at the end of the season.

Heidfeld on the way ?
Old 6 May 2001, 23:11 (Ref:89791)   #3
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
If Mika retired after this year, there would be a mad scramble for the vacant seat from every other driver in F1, including the test drivers. Managers would be haggling to break current contracts just to put their charge into the Mclaren seat. TGF might be the only exception, but even that could be a possibility.
Old 7 May 2001, 00:15 (Ref:89809)   #4
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is for sure, VB, except for perhaps the Williams duo. Other teams may be reluctant to part with their young hotshots. I think the edge goes to Heidfeld, based on history, but I'd sure like it to be Jacques.
Just think if both MS and Mika retired after this year. With Rubens expected to be gone as well, there could be some top seats available next year. I expect the rumour mill to be heating up in a big way from the midpoint of the season on, especially once the relative performance of the cars under the new regs. is figured out. This will be one of the most interesting silly seasons ever.
Mika is still a very quick driver, but there is no doubt that parenthood takes an edge off things, especially if you've accomplished the goal of top level racing, twice. I suspect Mika doesn't know what he wants to do either.
Old 7 May 2001, 17:48 (Ref:89928)   #5
Guy Goddard
Racer

Guy Goddard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your in the right area that one of the Mclaren seats will become vacant at the end of the year but it will not be Hakkinen, Coulthard is already looking eleswhere for 2002.

Guy
Old 7 May 2001, 18:25 (Ref:89934)   #6
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Get JB or NH in at McLaren!
Old 7 May 2001, 19:18 (Ref:89942)   #7
Billy_Hunt
Racer

Billy_Hunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bononi
Everything looks like he'll be retiring at the end of the season.

Heidfeld on the way ?
I'm with you on this Bononi I think it's almost certain Mika will retire at the end of the season.
It look's as though we are in for quite a few driver changes next season including the top teams.
Should be intresting.
Old 7 May 2001, 21:54 (Ref:90003)   #8
Damon_racer
Rookie

Damon_racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

With Hakkinen MAY BE! Finishing this year and DC looking for a team that believes in him there could be two seats up at McLaren next year…
Old 8 May 2001, 00:29 (Ref:90041)   #9
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I'm not sure how true this may be, as was mentioned, I don't think Mika even knows.

As for DC looking for another ride, who would have him. Williams & Ferrari would pass, so his choices are to stay at Mac and hope they get behind him, or go to a midfield team. Either way, 2001 seems to be DC's only hope to be WDC.
Old 8 May 2001, 00:47 (Ref:90048)   #10
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If DC scores second or third and stays ahead of Hakkinen in the WDC, AND IF Hakkinen decides to call it a day, DC will stay in the seat. McLaren needs continuitiy. The only other driver who might provide it is Wurz, and given the choice of the two, I'd take Coulthard.

Maybe Panis is a remote possibility, but in testing his times were no better than DC's. My guess is Coulthard and a youngster, most likely Heidfeld.
Old 8 May 2001, 08:06 (Ref:90103)   #11
RussianFriend
Veteran

Russian Federation
Moscow, Russia
RussianFriend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Wrex, DC has none alternatives to get winning seat. His chances are growing in Mac if Mika retires.

Regarding Mika, his seat if going to be vacant soon. This season has shown that Cranky become more carefull and doesn't take a risk anymore. So Merc protege Nick will drive Mac next year.
Old 8 May 2001, 11:43 (Ref:90165)   #12
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Agreed !

David Coulthard is more likely to stay with Hakkinen's retirement.

And Heidfeld will join him next season.
Old 8 May 2001, 11:52 (Ref:90170)   #13
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by EEROS

If DC scores(!) second or third, and stays ahead of Hakkinen in the WDC, AND IF Hakkinen decides to call it a day, DC will stay in the hot seat. McLaren needs continuitiy (and a few more 'i's). The only other driver who might provide it is Tracey, and given the choice of the two, I'd take Berger.

Maybe Andretti is a remote possibility, but in testing his times were no better than DC's. My guess is Coulthard and a youngster, most likely Heidfeld - he who lays on rocks and smiles.

Brilliant synopsis EEROS. Simply breathtaking in it's scope and colour. But wouldn't it be easier to say that DC will retain his seat against a bunch of wannabes?
Old 8 May 2001, 11:55 (Ref:90171)   #14
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bononi
Agreed !

David Coulthard is more likely to play after Hakkinen's retirement.

And Heidfeld will join him next season.
Say what??
Old 8 May 2001, 23:12 (Ref:90546)   #15
Guy Goddard
Racer

Guy Goddard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lets be fair this is all wild specualtion based on the fact Hakkinen has less points on the board than Coulthard.
Ron Dennis will not allow Hakkinen to retire yet and will prefer to keep him rather than Coulthard even if he wins the championship.
Hakkinen is no further from retiring than M.Schumacher at the end of 2001, Coulthard is looking for a new drive in 2002 he has few options.

Guy
Old 9 May 2001, 22:09 (Ref:90840)   #16
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

AMoffat, Ok...

DC can play after Hakkinen's retirement.
Old 10 May 2001, 00:19 (Ref:90886)   #17
Ross
Rookie

Ross should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When Hakkinen goes give the seat to Dario Franchitti
Old 10 May 2001, 03:14 (Ref:90905)   #18
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AMoffat

Brilliant synopsis EEROS. You are the true Godhead. Its no wonder that I could not retain Liz Hurley's affections in the face of your Majesty. You are simply breathtaking . But wouldn't it be easier to to rule the World by Fiat?
Muffy, once again, you have outdone yourself.
Old 10 May 2001, 12:14 (Ref:90982)   #19
Airhead
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Ross
When Hakkinen goes give the seat to Dario Franchitti
Yes of cause - this would be a seat with a seven speed sequential gear box. All ratios being reverse!

Dario has one thing and one thing only going for him. His girlfriend Ashley, otherwise the guy is like rooms for rent yeah?
Old 10 May 2001, 12:19 (Ref:90983)   #20
Airhead
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by EERO

I believe Gohard Berger will come out of retirement, drag Jean "I know I have a girls name but I drive real good" Alesi with him to a resurgent McLaren. This is the true genius behind Ron Dennis' strategic planning and the reason Coulthard is nervous and two time WDC Hakkinen is afraid, very afraid!
Umm!

What can I say to all that EERO?

Hang on, rule the world by Fiat? Some overly rust prone shyyteful eyetalian car? Why I bet they never even made a V8!
Old 10 May 2001, 17:01 (Ref:91048)   #21
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
badoer fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Dario has one thing and one thing only going for him. His girlfriend Ashley,
mmmmmmmmm! Ashley Judd! Mmmmmmmm!

Last edited by badoer fan; 10 May 2001 at 17:02.
Old 10 May 2001, 17:37 (Ref:91056)   #22
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
Quote:

Umm!

Hang on, What can I say to all that EERO?
Its obvious that I have no more sense than a kickdog. If I had my druthers, Ron Dennis would put Tarso Marques and Mazzacane in those seats next year!
As it stands, I really hate Fords I'd even rather have a Holden than drive anything with a blue oval on it. Fiats rule the world! As I have proven that my only real interest here is in raising the tally of my posts, I cannot act upon my dream of adopting the web name "Topolino" without forsaken my hard earned numbers.
Ashley Judd: somethingelse we agree about.
Old 10 May 2001, 18:08 (Ref:91065)   #23
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Utterly off topic, but I couldn't resist...

Quote:

Hang on, rule the world by Fiat? Some overly rust prone shyyteful eyetalian car? Why I bet they never even made a V8!
Uh, I think you lose the bet, Muffy. 1955 Fiat 8V Competizione. 2 litres of high-revving, championship-winning, Mille Miglia contesting vee-8!

Old 10 May 2001, 21:01 (Ref:91106)   #24
Airhead
Veteran

I feel I may have been misrepresented.

It's still a shyyteful eyetalian car. With or without a V8