Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 29 Jan 2014, 08:20 (Ref:3361468)   #126
Biggy G
Veteran

Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Trofeo Motorsports has elected not to campaign its Corvette Z06R, which was to be shared by Jim Manolios, Ivan Capelli and Greg Murphy.
Murphy will instead race at Manfield, New Zealand, on the same weekend in the V8 SuperTourer Series.
Murph will be there

http://www.speedcafe.com/2014/01/29/...rawn-bathurst/
Old 29 Jan 2014, 08:53 (Ref:3361485)   #127
isoskim
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland
isoskim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see V8ST have been sanctioned. Took long enough.

http://motorsport.org.nz/sites/defau...20Articles.pdf

Still missing a Race Director though. Will be interesting to see if anyone is game enough to take it on.
Old 29 Jan 2014, 09:30 (Ref:3361502)   #128
20b
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland
20b should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does this mean we're one step closer to a merger? There were rumors of a possible joint race at Manfield, bit it appears nothing has eventuated from those rumors.
Old 29 Jan 2014, 09:57 (Ref:3361516)   #129
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20b View Post
Does this mean we're one step closer to a merger? There were rumors of a possible joint race at Manfield, bit it appears nothing has eventuated from those rumors.
Both classes will be at the NZGP and the V8SC but will not run together. That was my understanding anyway.
Old 29 Jan 2014, 18:50 (Ref:3361734)   #130
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
Both classes will be at the NZGP and the V8SC but will not run together. That was my understanding anyway.
GB,
My understanding of the merge situation is that the new NZV8 Touring car management, were given an "olive branch" by V8ST and in turn sent a preposterous demand back, so its still a stalemate as far as I can ascertain.

Now that the V8ST are finally now a MSNZ sanctioned Series, the 5 TLX cars should logically run as a class within a class, just as the Porsche 996's successfully ran with the new 997's for some years.

However, it seems that the TLX owners, apparently all 4 of them, think that they should be rewarded somehow "by the enemy" I guess mentality.
Old 29 Jan 2014, 20:40 (Ref:3361801)   #131
Dav1s
Rookie

Dav1s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
However, it seems that the TLX owners, apparently all 4 of them, think that they should be rewarded somehow "by the enemy" I guess mentality.
You cant help but to laugh at that! Nobody owes them anything. Its a tough world and we all make decisions. Some right, some wrong.

I'll leave it at that
Old 29 Jan 2014, 21:56 (Ref:3361846)   #132
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20b View Post
Hi Promax,

Sorry, that was a small error on my behalf, said article has been amended.

If you've followed the page, you'll know who writes the stories, we definitely do not cut and paste other people's stories.

Cheers,

Simon
Good to hear Simon! Good luck with your page/site
Old 29 Jan 2014, 22:40 (Ref:3361872)   #133
tacmacnzl
Rookie

tacmacnzl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

They should accept the fact they hedged their bet on the wrong horse and cut their losses and get in bed with ST. Would provide a much better spectacle than the current show of Bargs v Ross every round. The other 3 TLX guys should still be in TL cars IMO.
Old 29 Jan 2014, 22:54 (Ref:3361880)   #134
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacmacnzl View Post
They should accept the fact they hedged their bet on the wrong horse and cut their losses and get in bed with ST. Would provide a much better spectacle than the current show of Bargs v Ross every round. The other 3 TLX guys should still be in TL cars IMO.
I quite agree, and it's painful to watch. I had a look at the TV coverage just the other day, and more than a few of the TL drivers are absolutely dreadful.
Old 29 Jan 2014, 22:58 (Ref:3361882)   #135
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
It is time to patch things up, the old TL warhorses make a better spectacle if there's more than 12 of them and the TLX should not run against them as it's just a distraction really. Why not allow the TLX cars to up their HP to 570 and then run them in with the ST's? They would need to run the Hankook tyres too, or you could just do what Mark suggested and run them as a class within a class - I expect they would not be happy about being at the tail of the field the whole time though.
Old 29 Jan 2014, 23:00 (Ref:3361885)   #136
20b
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland
20b should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I find it hard to believe that the 10+ year old TL taxis are considered our top tier of motor racing by some. If anything, they should be run as a historic class.

The TLX cars may look cool, but the fact is that it gets tedious when the leaders pull away from the field - albeit only three cars - and the gap between second and third is, at times, ten seconds?

On the bright side, there does appear to be signs of progress towards a merger. It's more a case of if, not when.
Old 29 Jan 2014, 23:15 (Ref:3361890)   #137
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
It is time to patch things up, the old TL warhorses make a better spectacle if there's more than 12 of them and the TLX should not run against them as it's just a distraction really. Why not allow the TLX cars to up their HP to 570 and then run them in with the ST's? They would need to run the Hankook tyre's too, or you could just do what Mark suggested and run them as a class within a class - I expect they would not be happy about being at the tail of the field the whole time though.
GB,
Equally, you could not expect 20 owners of identical V8ST's to compete with cars that are widely different, even within the 5 TLX cars there is a major difference between the "glasshouse" on the Toyota and both the Holden and Ford, because Mitchell narrowed the roll cage to fit the standard Toyota "glasshouse" so the fact is that the frontal area on the two Toyota's is way less than on the Holden and Ford TLX car's.

In order to contain cost's just let them run exactly as they are, and were they qualify, just like, as I prviously said the 996's, which in the hands of Evan's and Cunningham regularly out-qualified the 997's of Mike Morton, and Shane Mckillion etc, unlikely scenario admittedly given the level of talent that exists in V8ST but a possibility never the less.
Old 30 Jan 2014, 00:33 (Ref:3361918)   #138
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
GB,
Equally, you could not expect 20 owners of identical V8ST's to compete with cars that are widely different, even within the 5 TLX cars there is a major difference between the "glasshouse" on the Toyota and both the Holden and Ford, because Mitchell narrowed the roll cage to fit the standard Toyota "glasshouse" so the fact is that the frontal area on the two Toyota's is way less than on the Holden and Ford TLX car's.

In order to contain cost's just let them run exactly as they are, and were they qualify, just like, as I prviously said the 996's, which in the hands of Evan's and Cunningham regularly out-qualified the 997's of Mike Morton, and Shane Mckillion etc, unlikely scenario admittedly given the level of talent that exists in V8ST but a possibility never the less.

Yeah I know, but I thought it may be a way to stifle the inevitable whinges that would come from them otherwise - they'd always be at the back anyway but maybe not by as much.

But your idea does seem like a sensible one.
Old 30 Jan 2014, 01:09 (Ref:3361926)   #139
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The TLX and the TL cars can run together as a support for ST. I said that ages ago.

I think the best thing to do, if possible is leave the rules and door open for TLX and TL cars in the Challenge Cup and whoever turns up, turns up. Let NZV8's do their thing and sink or swim on their own accord.
Old 30 Jan 2014, 02:34 (Ref:3361930)   #140
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
The TLX and the TL cars can run together as a support for ST. I said that ages ago.

I think the best thing to do, if possible is leave the rules and door open for TLX and TL cars in the Challenge Cup and whoever turns up, turns up. Let NZV8's do their thing and sink or swim on their own accord.
What's the attraction for NZV8 to run under V8ST? V8ST teams are struggling under the current setup?
Old 30 Jan 2014, 04:59 (Ref:3361933)   #141
Sidewayz
Rookie

Sidewayz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
What's the attraction for NZV8 to run under V8ST? V8ST teams are struggling under the current setup?
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I heard a different version of the story that Mr Petch is spewing out.
NZV8s are doing fine on their own albeit lower numbers than hoped as far as the TLX are concerned. I'm sure numbers will grow, while ST numbers look to be dropping......IMO
Old 30 Jan 2014, 07:22 (Ref:3361948)   #142
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
MSNZ sanctioning for ST may well make a difference to how it is run, therefore more parties may be willing to get on board as sponsors and owners. As 100% owners of NZV8s it must now be in MSNZ's interests for the two to get together somehow.

IMO if you put a Coyote or LS3 in a TL it wouldn't be far off the pace of a TLX anyway.
Old 30 Jan 2014, 07:41 (Ref:3361953)   #143
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewayz View Post
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I heard a different version of the story that Mr Petch is spewing out.
NZV8s are doing fine on their own albeit lower numbers than hoped as far as the TLX are concerned. I'm sure numbers will grow, while ST numbers look to be dropping......IMO
Geoff, I am not attacking you, so why are you attacking me?

I think most people know were you stand on the issue Mr Short, so enough said.
Old 30 Jan 2014, 08:09 (Ref:3361967)   #144
tacmacnzl
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewayz View Post

ST numbers may have dropped due to sponsorship shortfalls. Still remains a fact that there are 21 (+?) built. Likewise it remains a fact that there are only 6 TLX built.

If I was in the position to want to purchase a NZ top flight V8, i would have a hell of alot easier time getting a ST than a TLX Camry for example, wouldn't I.

Full credit to the NZV8TC lads to slowly rebuilding their TL field, but as has been pointed out, those cars belong in the past.
Old 30 Jan 2014, 18:55 (Ref:3362213)   #145
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
ST numbers may have dropped due to sponsorship shortfalls. Still remains a fact that there are 21 (+?) built. Likewise it remains a fact that there are only 6 TLX built.

If I was in the position to want to purchase a NZ top flight V8, i would have a hell of alot easier time getting a ST than a TLX Camry for example, wouldn't I.

Full credit to the NZV8TC lads to slowly rebuilding their TL field, but as has been pointed out, those cars belong in the past.
What classes in nz run current models... apart from Tr86??? The tl class is considered a feeder.. why would they run the lastest and greatest? Anyway..NZV8 and V8ST have taken two different paths. V8ST aim to be an equal to V8SC. NZV8 trying the more affordable route. If there is such a thing in motor sport
Old 30 Jan 2014, 20:25 (Ref:3362245)   #146
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
V8ST aim to be an equal to V8SC. NZV8 trying the more affordable route. If there is such a thing in motor sport
Try telling that to Andrew MacKenzie - their budget ended up well beyond what it costs to build an ST, who knows about the others - my guess would be Commodore kit would be the cheapest to build.
Old 30 Jan 2014, 20:46 (Ref:3362252)   #147
tacmacnzl
Rookie

Quote:
Try telling that to Andrew MacKenzie - their budget ended up well beyond what it costs to build an ST, who knows about the others - my guess would be Commodore kit would be the cheapest to build.
And what about those Camry's.Those TRD engines from the States cant have been cheap? And what about the development of the body panels? If I want to buy and run a TLX Camry, dont tell me it will be more affordable than a ST....
Old 30 Jan 2014, 21:08 (Ref:3362261)   #148
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
And what about those Camry's. Those TRD engines from the States cant have been cheap?
Rumour has it they're somewhere between $60-80k apiece; not exactly a crate engine are they.
Old 30 Jan 2014, 21:35 (Ref:3362270)   #149
MRXtreme
Rookie

New Zealand
Hamilton
MRXtreme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
And what about those Camry's.Those TRD engines from the States cant have been cheap? And what about the development of the body panels? If I want to buy and run a TLX Camry, dont tell me it will be more affordable than a ST....
tacmanzl. If you showed up on my door and asked for a Camry TLX, I'd say sure mate and it would cost you the same amount as a Commodore or a Falcon, bar the engine. If on the other hand you showed up and said I want to build/introduce a Audi A6 with a Audi V8, then you would be up for paying for the development costs.
As for the TRD motors, yes they are most expensive than the common LS Chevy but no where near the 'rumoured' price that everyone loves to throw around.

Cheers
Nick
Old 30 Jan 2014, 22:08 (Ref:3362284)   #150
tacmacnzl
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRXtreme View Post
tacmanzl. If you showed up on my door and asked for a Camry TLX, I'd say sure mate and it would cost you the same amount as a Commodore or a Falcon, bar the engine. If on the other hand you showed up and said I want to build/introduce a Audi A6 with a Audi V8, then you would be up for paying for the development costs.
As for the TRD motors, yes they are most expensive than the common LS Chevy but no where near the 'rumoured' price that everyone loves to throw around.

Cheers
Nick
Cheers Nick, it is always good to get a response from actual "insiders" ( for lack of a better word).