Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 7 Apr 2009, 19:55 (Ref:2436167)   #301
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen View Post
But is the R10 and easy car to engineer and set up?

Race performance is a better indicator of a team's potential.
No, it is not an easy car to engineer, but Brad Kettler was working with Kolles at Barcelona, and with the exception of Howden Haynes, who can engineer an R10 like Kettler?
Old 7 Apr 2009, 20:50 (Ref:2436216)   #302
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen View Post
But is the R10 and easy car to engineer and set up?

Race performance is a better indicator of a team's potential.
It is, but are we talking about the pace of a particular car or the team/drivers, fast laps should at least show a cars ultimate pace, even if it can't be sustained.

If we are saying you need Joest, McNish and co to win with an R10, it would show the petrol/diesel balance is fairly close, and any subsequent performance advantage the R15 shows is more down to the fact it's a state of the art car from a fine tuned factory team.
Old 7 Apr 2009, 20:53 (Ref:2436219)   #303
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Why, because of Sebring?

At Sebring there was the R15 and a 908 that was way ahead of the competition last year, this is a comparison with an R10 that has gone backwards in all dpts., receiving little development to overcome the reg changes.

The petrol runners have not been hit with a major restrictor cut and have new aero, like the R15, to overcome the smaller rear wing.

Based on their Sebring performance I'd put Acura around Pescarolo's level.

As for Le Mans, that's when the diesel restrictor cut will really hit, at Sebring, Silverstone etc, the chassis and tyres are more important.
Simply put, I don't believe that the Petrol runners have the same horsepower as do the Diesels. We'll find out at Le Mans indeed... but I expect the Diesels to walk away on the straights again... at least under acceleration.
Old 7 Apr 2009, 21:03 (Ref:2436230)   #304
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Audi Racer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It's an interesting situation. I think the Kolles R10 had some new parts on it at the rear end. Maybe for development to be on the R15. After one of the cars retired due to suspension failure they covered up the rear end when they took the engine cover off. We know that if it was not anything new they would not cover the rear end. We have seen absolutley everything on the R10 from the years before. Something must have changed. Maybe they are running the new particulate filters and turbochargers. So what were they hiding at barcelona. We never saw the r15s filters and we never will. And if brad kettler was there then something indeed is going on.
Old 7 Apr 2009, 21:15 (Ref:2436249)   #305
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi Racer View Post
It's an interesting situation. I think the Kolles R10 had some new parts on it at the rear end. Maybe for development to be on the R15. After one of the cars retired due to suspension failure they covered up the rear end when they took the engine cover off. We know that if it was not anything new they would not cover the rear end. We have seen absolutley everything on the R10 from the years before. Something must have changed. Maybe they are running the new particulate filters and turbochargers. So what were they hiding at barcelona. We never saw the r15s filters and we never will. And if brad kettler was there then something indeed is going on.
Continued component testing for the R15?
Old 8 Apr 2009, 04:11 (Ref:2436382)   #306
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Teams frequently cover up the mangled portions of crashed cars, far far more often then they don't. I don't think it signifies magic secrets. I can't really fathom why Audi would test R15 components on the Kolles R10s with inexperienced drivers when they are free to run the real deal around with better pilots.

Something was indeed going on with Kettler there. What was going on was Kettler working with Kolles because, let's face it, he doesn't really have anything else to do. Hopefully he will get to engineer a car at Le Mans and thus be involved in testing, but otherwise he was only running the 2 at Sebring because H was taken ill.
Old 8 Apr 2009, 06:41 (Ref:2436409)   #307
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Wasnt Kettler involved somehow with Kölles DTM effort last year ?
Old 8 Apr 2009, 07:07 (Ref:2436423)   #308
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk
Something was indeed going on with Kettler there. What was going on was Kettler working with Kolles because, let's face it, he doesn't really have anything else to do. Hopefully he will get to engineer a car at Le Mans and thus be involved in testing, but otherwise he was only running the 2 at Sebring because H was taken ill.
In an interview with EI the team manager Joachim Matheis said that the cars would be engineered by Jacky Eeckelaert and Jos Claes. I can only assume that they hired Brad Kettler to help them out during their first race.
Old 8 Apr 2009, 07:10 (Ref:2436425)   #309
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Wasnt Kettler involved somehow with Kölles DTM effort last year ?
According to http://www.futurecom-tme.com/ Gerard Lizakovszky and Jos Claes are the team's engineers.
Old 8 Apr 2009, 07:12 (Ref:2436428)   #310
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
When I was in their box as car #14 came in for a change of the engine cover, in the first hour of the race, I was asked not to take shots of the engine. (I did get a few though, but not very revealing). I can't imagine that the engine is still a secret, so there must be something else, and probably not the R15 rear wing. Anyway, whatever it was, it did not contribute to impressive lap times.
Old 8 Apr 2009, 16:53 (Ref:2436840)   #311
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Perhaps it has the new V10 engine
Old 8 Apr 2009, 17:05 (Ref:2436847)   #312
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
When I was in their box as car #14 came in for a change of the engine cover, in the first hour of the race, I was asked not to take shots of the engine. (I did get a few though, but not very revealing). I can't imagine that the engine is still a secret, so there must be something else, and probably not the R15 rear wing. Anyway, whatever it was, it did not contribute to impressive lap times.
Who knows. I was asked not to take photos of the cockpit of an R10 at Mosport last year, and not only is that heavily photographed, it appears on in-car cameras and the rest. I can't imagine there were any secrets in there, but that's what the mechanics were told to say.
Old 8 Apr 2009, 17:10 (Ref:2436853)   #313
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
Who knows. I was asked not to take photos of the cockpit of an R10 at Mosport last year, and not only is that heavily photographed, it appears on in-car cameras and the rest. I can't imagine there were any secrets in there, but that's what the mechanics were told to say.
it was actually a PR girl who told me so....
Old 8 Apr 2009, 18:20 (Ref:2436885)   #314
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Simply put, I don't believe that the Petrol runners have the same horsepower as do the Diesels. We'll find out at Le Mans indeed... but I expect the Diesels to walk away on the straights again... at least under acceleration.
I agree with the R15 and 908, but the R10 looks to only have a slight advantage, if any, based on straight line performance at Barcelona.

The 908's V12 was a stormer from the off, and developed over the winter, while Audi have designed an all new V10.

Acura have arguably compromised performance in anticipation of the 2011 regs, while customer engine manufacturer's must also have an eye on this.
Old 10 Apr 2009, 10:33 (Ref:2437969)   #315
boesel
Rookie

boesel has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Strakka Ginetta's lost many places at the start. Look at this link how was the distance from Aston Martin 007 at the first corner:

http://www.connectingrod.it/LeMansSe...llona_eng.html

Photo n° 24 and 25
Old 10 Apr 2009, 10:57 (Ref:2437985)   #316
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by boesel View Post
Strakka Ginetta's lost many places at the start. Look at this link how was the distance from Aston Martin 007 at the first corner:

http://www.connectingrod.it/LeMansSe...llona_eng.html

Photo n° 24 and 25
Peter Hardman just blew the start, I am sorry to say. It was a team decision to put Danny Watts in the final stint, and to try to keep the damage with the first two drivers as little as possible.
Old 10 Apr 2009, 13:03 (Ref:2438053)   #317
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
Peter Hardman just blew the start, I am sorry to say. It was a team decision to put Danny Watts in the final stint, and to try to keep the damage with the first two drivers as little as possible.
From what i understand he put the brakes on when the green flag threw thinking he could keep the field going slow behind him until the start line, unfortunately that's not how the starts work Peter.
Old 11 Apr 2009, 08:55 (Ref:2438471)   #318
Thumper
Racer

Thumper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStalk3r View Post
From what i understand he put the brakes on when the green flag threw thinking he could keep the field going slow behind him until the start line, unfortunately that's not how the starts work Peter . . .
. . . in practice, but it's how it is supposed to work in principal. The driver in the pole-setting car is supposed to regulate the pace of the start, and the cars around should moderate their own pace to ensure that the pole car crosses the line first. Once it is over the line, they can do whatever they like. Peter Hardman was within his rights to slow (although he insists he did not brake) and he can decide when to floor the accelerator. Darren Turner alongside understood this, and held back, but the other two just blasted through from the second (and third!) rows, long before the line, and everyone else followed.

Peter Hardman is hardly a novice, but he did double-check that his understanding of the starting procedure was the correct one by speaking to race officials beforehand. He was assured that his status as driver of the car on pole meant that he could control the start all the way to the line, and so he did . . . well, he attempted to anyway.

And while I'm in "defending Strakka" mood, I note from earlier posts that Nick Leventis came in for some stick for his middle-stint pace. In fact, he only lost one position, which is fair going under the circumstances.
Old 11 Apr 2009, 09:19 (Ref:2438482)   #319
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Thumper, if that was the case the clerk of the course should have had enough reasons for a restart....perhaps it is something that should be extensively discussed during the drivers briefing at Spa. Interestingly the polesitter in the CER race took off too early, which resulted in another lap behind the safety car....
As far as the Strakka strategy is concerned, afaik the plan was to ensure that Nick would not loose a lap during his stint. I did not follow the race close enough to see whether he managed to do that, but I think by the time Danny Watts got in the car it was already several laps behind. (Safety cars are a real nuisance in this type of races.....)