Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 12 Feb 2020, 13:32 (Ref:3957214)   #351
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Let’s hope it’s a good one, it’s managed to keep going, not sure how much longer it will go on for
why?
Old 14 Feb 2020, 16:10 (Ref:3957620)   #352
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It’s just it might not have a place anymore, especially with Le Mans going Hypercar
Old 15 Feb 2020, 01:58 (Ref:3957666)   #353
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
It’s just it might not have a place anymore, especially with Le Mans going Hypercar

But LMP2/3 and GTE will still be around so I can’t see any drastic change to the series in the near future. It does have a place for those who want to race in a Le Mans Series without the expense of trekking all over the globe to do it. I can’t see that changing much either.
Old 15 Feb 2020, 08:42 (Ref:3957688)   #354
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Next generation of LMP2 is already confirmed, so nothing changes as far as ELMS is concerned.

Extremely healthy grid. Healthy GTE grid too, which is nice. Traditionally that has struggled, but it's improving a bit. Downside is once again the lack of variety.
Old 15 Feb 2020, 11:31 (Ref:3957700)   #355
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Downside is once again the lack of variety.
I think that rather understates the problem*.

15/18 LMP2s are Orecas
10/13 LMP3s are Ligiers
7/9 GTEs are Ferraris

* Well, I think it's a problem. ACO don't.
Old 15 Feb 2020, 13:04 (Ref:3957707)   #356
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It's become almost one make which is a big pity
Old 15 Feb 2020, 13:52 (Ref:3957717)   #357
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
I think that rather understates the problem*.

15/18 LMP2s are Orecas
10/13 LMP3s are Ligiers
7/9 GTEs are Ferraris

You're not wrong, but LMP2 is the worst because the other cars cannot win. LMP3, Norma can (and do) beat Ligier. GTE, Porsche can beat Ferrari. So the variety at the front can change a bit.

LMP2 has nothing.
Old 15 Feb 2020, 15:23 (Ref:3957726)   #358
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Quote:
The entry fee doesn't come with a brand or varies with variety. An Oreca pays the same as a Ligier or a Dallara. So, if ACO would get 18 Orecas LMP2, 13 Ligiers LMP3 and 9 Ferrari GTE they would be celebrating out there the "booming" of their series in the very same way. ACO is a profitable organisation. They could marry the Devil himself if he had some money.

In my humble opinion, I just feel weird why there are so many competitors in this series if the interest in the motorsport community on it is so small.
Old 15 Feb 2020, 15:37 (Ref:3957728)   #359
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
I enjoy it. I'll be at Barcelona and Monza as well as Silverstone. I'd just enjoy it more if there was greater variety.

That isn't just about the Oreca dominance. The four LMP2 makes are hard to tell apart at a glance. And they all sound exactly the same.

Watching prototypes go round a track is still awesome. I just think it could be a lot more awesome, was more awesome in the past and would be even more awesome if the ACO cared as much about quality as they do about quantity.
Old 15 Feb 2020, 16:05 (Ref:3957730)   #360
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
In my humble opinion, I just feel weird why there are so many competitors in this series if the interest in the motorsport community on it is so small.
Because the motorsport community isn't the primary target for its income. The series has entries because teams can provide 'affordable' driving slots for amateur drivers who want to race but aren't good enough to get a seat purely on skill level.

This is why Pro-Am is here to stay. Creventic is the ultimate example of this - nobody watches it apart from a thousand or so hardcore fans. But it does well enough because Ams provide funding for the cars to be there.
Old 16 Feb 2020, 02:55 (Ref:3957774)   #361
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
How much of the Oreca thing was a numbers game from the start though, like the Cadillacs in IMSA? I mean, you can be just as fast and reliable, but if you're outnumbered 2.5-6:1, well, it gets a lot tougher, particularly in an endurance racing setting (unless you're Maserati at Caracas in 1957, in which case it just seemed like the Fates had it out for the Trident Badge).

And no, the Ligier has 4 wins in the ELMS, and the Dallara has 1; Dallara also just picked up a win in the AsLMS. So the Orecas/Alpines/Aurus can be beaten.
Old 16 Feb 2020, 15:50 (Ref:3957828)   #362
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
How much of the Oreca thing was a numbers game from the start though, like the Cadillacs in IMSA? I mean, you can be just as fast and reliable, but if you're outnumbered 2.5-6:1, well, it gets a lot tougher, particularly in an endurance racing setting (unless you're Maserati at Caracas in 1957, in which case it just seemed like the Fates had it out for the Trident Badge).

And no, the Ligier has 4 wins in the ELMS, and the Dallara has 1; Dallara also just picked up a win in the AsLMS. So the Orecas/Alpines/Aurus can be beaten.
I understand what you're saying but don't agree.

There was no numbers advantage at the start. ELMS had 4 ORECAs in the first season of this generation of cars. Ligier had 5. Dallara had 4. The ORECA is a significantly better car. It has a large performance advantage that cannot be overcome with events aligning to allow lesser performing cars to beat it. Ligier won a Grand Prix, but you'd never say they were as good as Williams or Ferrari when they did it. Teams with Ligiers and Dallaras have dropped those cars to move to ORECA because of the advantage.

Dallara won in AsLMS, but there wasn't a lot of cars, the quality is lower, and it took several incidents for it to occur. It's hardly representative of the current situation. It's the exception which proves the rule. A Dallara win is note-able. An ORECA win is expected.

I'm not a fan of these locked in regulations. It doesn't allow manufacturers to respond. The best product wins and then the regulations force it to become dominant and nobody is allowed to try and beat it.
Old 13 Mar 2020, 16:00 (Ref:3963892)   #363
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Pre-season test and round 1 at Barcelona postponed. Announcement soon about Monza, scheduled for May 10th but very hard to see that happening.
Old 13 Mar 2020, 17:54 (Ref:3963939)   #364
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Pre-season test and round 1 at Barcelona postponed. Announcement soon about Monza, scheduled for May 10th but very hard to see that happening.
Monza has been cancelled.

https://www.europeanlemansseries.com...za-events/5828
Old 1 May 2020, 08:02 (Ref:3973927)   #365
Tique
Racer

France
Paris
Tique should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like that The Castellet will not happen either. The French Ministry of SPort has stated that even events behind close door will be prohibited untill the end of July
https://www.endurance-info.com/fr/qu...ique-du-sport/
Old 1 May 2020, 10:13 (Ref:3973944)   #366
S griffin
Veteran

I can see them abandoning this season due to organisers concentrating more on getting the WEC season done
Old 10 Jul 2020, 08:12 (Ref:3987138)   #367
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Michael Fassbender to contest ELMS with Proton.

https://presse.porsche.de/prod/press...otorsport-news
Old 10 Jul 2020, 08:25 (Ref:3987142)   #368
S griffin
Veteran

Let's just hope he's 'Fass' and not a 'bender' of too many cars
Old 15 Jul 2020, 12:40 (Ref:3988527)   #369
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Bad shunt for Legge leaves her with broken bones in elms testing

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2020/0...and-wrist.html
Old 15 Jul 2020, 14:37 (Ref:3988545)   #370
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Bad shunt for Legge leaves her with broken bones in elms testing

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2020/0...and-wrist.html
Just saw this in a tweet. Hope she gets well soon!
Old 15 Jul 2020, 17:45 (Ref:3988582)   #371
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Now confirmed as broken leg and sprained wrist. Get well soon!
Old 15 Jul 2020, 19:28 (Ref:3988596)   #372
S griffin
Veteran

Hope she gets through it. She’s had a few big ones before, notably that Champ Car crash at Road America
Old 18 Jul 2020, 15:29 (Ref:3989262)   #373
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2020/0...lmp3-cars.html

Perhaps giving every exclusive spec contract in the world to single greedy French constructor isn't the greatest idea in the world when they can't even make their mass produced products go the intended mileage, with the other million spec deals going on their conveyor belts also taking attention

Also, if it wasn't a standardized spec formula the organizers wouldn't have to artificially screw around with overall regulations and how the races are run when there's a problem with one of the suppliers

Last edited by Deleted; 18 Jul 2020 at 15:39.
Old 18 Jul 2020, 22:03 (Ref:3989321)   #374
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2020/0...lmp3-cars.html

Perhaps giving every exclusive spec contract in the world to single greedy French constructor isn't the greatest idea in the world when they can't even make their mass produced products go the intended mileage, with the other million spec deals going on their conveyor belts also taking attention

Also, if it wasn't a standardized spec formula the organizers wouldn't have to artificially screw around with overall regulations and how the races are run when there's a problem with one of the suppliers
I watched the whole race live (vested interest as my son is spannering one of the cars) and FWIW, the second mandatory stop didn't affect the race to any material extent that I noticed. A tad embarrassing perhaps but it didn't detract from what was actually a very good race. I also like the LMP3s a lot, which helps....
Old 19 Jul 2020, 10:13 (Ref:3989417)   #375
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Anyone watching?