Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 24 Feb 2010, 20:28 (Ref:2639948)   #1
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
The Real Reason for the decline in Indycar racing?

Theres a a good article by Anthony Schoettle in the Indianapolis Business Journal (Feb 23rd) re tobacco money and sponsorship revenues for open wheel.

10 years ago the sponsorship money coming into Indycar was $60 million a year ($635 million) more than Nascar ($575 million).....
Now is a dribble compared with that amount....

If you can't support the teams then racing will dry up...
Old 24 Feb 2010, 22:18 (Ref:2640034)   #2
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't get me started.
Old 24 Feb 2010, 23:12 (Ref:2640066)   #3
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Where's indycool these days?
Old 24 Feb 2010, 23:42 (Ref:2640080)   #4
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke View Post
Where's indycool these days?
Dunno he bizarrely disappeared from here practically the day Champcar closed up shop.

It's a mystery as to why.

JohnSSC vanished as well.
Old 25 Feb 2010, 00:17 (Ref:2640100)   #5
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Don't get me started.
Don't worry we all know your sentiments and I am 100% in your camp!
Old 25 Feb 2010, 00:24 (Ref:2640104)   #6
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Theres a a good article by Anthony Schoettle in the Indianapolis Business Journal (Feb 23rd) re tobacco money and sponsorship revenues for open wheel.

10 years ago the sponsorship money coming into Indycar was $60 million a year ($635 million) more than Nascar ($575 million).....
Now is a dribble compared with that amount....

If you can't support the teams then racing will dry up...

If that's the real reason, why aren't F1 and NASCAR also a pale shadow of their former selves?
Old 25 Feb 2010, 01:30 (Ref:2640113)   #7
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
The "Law of Diminishing Returns".
Old 25 Feb 2010, 04:22 (Ref:2640132)   #8
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I talk about this every month, hell, me and my friend just talked about it today.
Old 25 Feb 2010, 07:15 (Ref:2640156)   #9
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by miatanut View Post

If that's the real reason, why aren't F1 and NASCAR also a pale shadow of their former selves?
Read the article.
It gives the sponsorship revenues for both CART, IRL and NASCAR in general and how each organisation tackled the loss of tobabcco money. It's the way the respective organiations organised themselves and their repective series, who they targeted for commercial support and what the consequences were for each of them.
It makes sense and has some very good points the IRL could learn from. Whatever the past, you need to learn the lessons from past events if you are going to be successful in the future. Open wheel in the US has a big mountain to climb but Everest is big and people climb that every year .simply for the challenge.
Open wheel has a future if the right decisions are made but you will not reurn to the haylacon days of the 80's/90's overnight.

Secondly its not about blame. Its about learning what not to do and not repeating mistakes, neither your own past mistakes nor anyone elses.
Old 25 Feb 2010, 08:22 (Ref:2640181)   #10
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
message boards
Old 25 Feb 2010, 17:52 (Ref:2640454)   #11
cthib10
Racer

United States
Florida
cthib10 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The real reason Indycar is declining is because nobody is watching it..

That being said I one of the 100,000 or so people that still do tune in each race. I really enjoy going to the race in St. Pete as well but I go mainly just to see the ALMS run but I still watch the Indycar race.

Last edited by cthib10; 25 Feb 2010 at 18:03.
Old 25 Feb 2010, 18:39 (Ref:2640476)   #12
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Read the article.
It gives the sponsorship revenues for both CART, IRL and NASCAR in general and how each organisation tackled the loss of tobabcco money. It's the way the respective organiations organised themselves and their repective series, who they targeted for commercial support and what the consequences were for each of them.
It makes sense and has some very good points the IRL could learn from. Whatever the past, you need to learn the lessons from past events if you are going to be successful in the future. Open wheel in the US has a big mountain to climb but Everest is big and people climb that every year .simply for the challenge.
Open wheel has a future if the right decisions are made but you will not reurn to the haylacon days of the 80's/90's overnight.

Secondly its not about blame. Its about learning what not to do and not repeating mistakes, neither your own past mistakes nor anyone elses.
I don't think it was loss of tobacco or any other segment of sponsors that was the main cause. That was merely an effect of other things that happened.

For your average fan, sponsors and all involved, people want to be where the hip and cool action is. The split spilled a vat full of negativity over the whole sport and year by year people and sponsors left for pastures anew. tony george had to have total absolute control at all costs and no one out there either wanted that or wanted to be a part of that.

I remember in business school we learned about the downward business spiral. As business goes down, you pare off this and that to survive and eventually you are in a hole and not likely to get out because you have lost so much ground. Indycar is in the bottom of the toilet and I don't know if it can make it out. Too much damage has been done.

I am someone that believes in blame. Without knowing who and what is at fault you cannot learn for the future.
Old 25 Feb 2010, 19:17 (Ref:2640506)   #13
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I am sure one of the main problems Indy has is that you struggle to watch it in the US. I usually watch the races on Sky in the UK with no problem but often struggle to find them when i am in the US. If as a casual viewer you can't easily find it, your not going to watch it. Better TV coverage equals more sponsors etc.
Old 25 Feb 2010, 19:56 (Ref:2640526)   #14
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can totally imagine how US fans face trying to watch this series. Today NASCAR announced a deal with openaccess3 on 190 on sky in the middle of no where with all the other small channels. NASCAR is unknown here as it is to a degree so how will he casual find it? It's like trying to find a needle in a haystack so I can imagine why Versus with IRL get 0.1 etc when on ABC they got 1.0-1.5 etc.....

To gain any more ground they need to be back on a top tv channel. They would have to be buy it but they won't so...That's one of the main problems because drivers especially PT for example can't get any funding for the none ABC/ESPN races..
Old 26 Feb 2010, 03:23 (Ref:2640678)   #15
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Read the article.

I don't see a link anywhere.

If it's trying to make the case the IRL was uniquely dependent on tobacco money, so the loss of tobacco money forced decline, that's a pretty tough argument to make. Remember the Winston Cup? It became the Nextel Cup and now the Sprint Cup, and it is now a much bigger deal than it was in the tobacco days. Remember McLaren's sponsor during the great Senna/Prost battles? Those cars became Silver Arrows and continued to be quite competitive. If the IRL was uniquely dependent of tobacco and CART by comparison wasn't, why did K-Mart, Texaco, Shell, Valvoline, Miller, Bud, and all the other household name sponsors leave CART?

The Split. The Split is the only reason American open wheel went down the tube while other motorsports flourished.

So, as far as learning from past mistakes, what is there to learn?

I think what there is to learn is that the sport was at its best when it was run by the people with gasoline running in their veins. There were legions of fans like myself who in the mid to late '80's switched loyalty from F1 to CART as their favorite open wheel series because it was a series they could afford to watch in person from one to several times a year, and could walk the paddock and see cars not much slower than F1 cars up close and personal.

Then, somebody had to strangle the golden goose, so we are back to F1 fans, watching from afar.

The only hope for the future would be the people with gasoline in their veins taking the sport back. Something I hope the Delta Wing group does.

If that happens, I have absolutely no doubt the sport will climb out of the pit it's in. Of course if that happens, the argument will be it was because the economy improved, so that was going to happen anyway (conveniently ignoring the decline of the sport during the go-go mid '00's).
Old 26 Feb 2010, 05:27 (Ref:2640707)   #16
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:

So, as far as learning from past mistakes, what is there to learn?

I think what there is to learn is that the sport was at its best when it was run by the people with gasoline running in their veins. There were legions of fans like myself who in the mid to late '80's switched loyalty from F1 to CART as their favorite open wheel series because it was a series they could afford to watch in person from one to several times a year, and could walk the paddock and see cars not much slower than F1 cars up close and personal.

Then, somebody had to strangle the golden goose, so we are back to F1 fans, watching from afar.

The only hope for the future would be the people with gasoline in their veins taking the sport back. Something I hope the Delta Wing group does.

If that happens, I have absolutely no doubt the sport will climb out of the pit it's in. Of course if that happens, the argument will be it was because the economy improved, so that was going to happen anyway (conveniently ignoring the decline of the sport during the go-go mid '00's).
Definitely passion is a huge part of the sport and something that has been lacking for sometime. A lot of it started with tony georges monotone total lack of enthusiasm.

I don't think the delta wing per se will change things completely if you still have the same people in charge.
Old 26 Feb 2010, 05:43 (Ref:2640712)   #17
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
Quote:
Definitely passion is a huge part of the sport and something that has been lacking for sometime. A lot of it started with tony georges monotone total lack of enthusiasm.

I don't think the delta wing per se will change things completely if you still have the same people in charge.
Ganassi's the real deal. I remember when he started his own team and declared he would win the championship. I thought that was pretty brash, then he made steady progress and did it. I don't think his competitive fire has gone away at all and he's successful in the business side of things. I think his competitive drive and business sense are the reason he's backing this thing.
Old 26 Feb 2010, 07:01 (Ref:2640728)   #18
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trying my best not to editorialize, I think you only have to read Delta Wing's website to realize what a big deal this is.

This effort is not about the design of a concept vehicle, or a way to restructure the supply chain to reduce costs. Considering the backgrounds of the management involved, and the team owners who have endorsed it, this is the framework for a completely autonomous organization.

What direction this organization chooses to take is a question that very few seem concerned about. The Delta Wing vehicle is not at all likely to be accepted as the chassis platform by the IndyCar Series management. There are enough clues to point to a strong belief that IMS and IICS management have far more to gain by selecting an existing manufacturer who will build an Indianapolis facility to supply the next iteration of the series. Their are logical reasons to presume that an evolutionary race car will be far less disruptive to the way IICS currently manages competition.

Delta Wing has progressed past the point of IICS oversight; they have selected an engine independant of (non-existant) IICS rules; and they have timetabled construction of a prototype that will be completed long after the IICS has pledged to announce their selection of the sole chassis manufacturer.

Apololgies to those who look at this information as obvious, but few seem to recognize the significance. The Delta Wing will be built, the owners are behind it, and the IICS has more reasons to reject it than accept it.

Accompanying this initiative is the stated intention of the owners to establish control of the decision making for specifications. None of this reads to me like a cooperative effort between management and team owners: it's much more likely that battle lines have already been established.

IICS was fully represented at the Chicago Auto Show, and gave a public perception of interest and cooperation with Delta's presentation. This came after they had been blasted in the press in an article endorsed by Delta charter member and Panther Racing owner John Barnes.

The team owners don't seem to be concerned about what the IICS thinks, in my opinion. The Delta Wing vehicle was to be displayed, on Series partner Firestone's stage, whether IICS officials were in attendance or not. The vehicle will be built with or without the IICS rubber stamp.

This all works out fine if IICS completely caves to the demands of the coalition that is comprised by all of the significant team owners. Or sells the IICS to the Delta Wing group, and IMS simply negotiates a deal for their participation at the 500.

I don't see it working out any other way. IMS is not viable without participants, and an IndyCar Series is not viable without the 500. Team owners are united, and committed to their roadmap for the future.

The Delta Wing is not a choice, it is a mandate. Lack of public support may be of concern to potential sponsors, but will not substantially alter the roadmap that Delta will follow.

Apologies if you consider all this as an editorial. I think it is a logical conclusion, based on a read of how the alliances have been shaped from both sides of the issue. If you think it will all develop for the best, particularly in the context of the economic climate that surrounds IndyCar racing today, you are an optimist.

And I hope you are right.

Last edited by JagtechOhio; 26 Feb 2010 at 07:07.
Old 26 Feb 2010, 07:03 (Ref:2640730)   #19
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Ganassi's the real deal. I remember when he started his own team and declared he would win the championship. I thought that was pretty brash, then he made steady progress and did it. I don't think his competitive fire has gone away at all and he's successful in the business side of things. I think his competitive drive and business sense are the reason he's backing this thing.
I know some people that have worked for him, all of whom liked him and they tell me indy is his main focus and interest, nascar just being business to him for instance.

Can't say though that I trust him completely. I know he is smart enough though to see the writing on the wall and that the end could be soon.
Old 26 Feb 2010, 07:08 (Ref:2640733)   #20
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagtechOhio View Post

Apololgies to those who look at this information as obvious, but few seem to recognize the significance. The Delta Wing will be built, the owners are behind it, and the IICS has more reasons to reject it than accept it.
I agree and as I have said before the delta wing is a trojan horse for a lot of other issues bubbling away under the surface.

I'm not even convinced whether or not this thing is even drivable matters all that much right now.
Old 26 Feb 2010, 07:23 (Ref:2640739)   #21
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
Star,

You're certainly right about the vehicle, at least in the form it was publicly displayed. And Ben Bowlby has already stated that significant design criteria will not be altered before prototyping.

Each of the Delta positions...reduced cost, open sourcing, implementation of green technology, potential interest from auto manufacturers...are transparent arguments when held up in the light of day.

And I believe you are right that the vehicle itself, in the big picture, doesn't matter that much. The depth of the trenches is the question, and which parties will end up buried in them.

Last edited by JagtechOhio; 26 Feb 2010 at 07:30. Reason: two typos
Old 26 Feb 2010, 07:42 (Ref:2640744)   #22
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I don't think it was loss of tobacco or any other segment of sponsors that was the main cause. ...
Yes, but if the tobacco ban was cancelled, many a company would surely come back, and the whole industry (not only Indycar, nor mainly) would benefit from that.
Old 26 Feb 2010, 08:13 (Ref:2640759)   #23
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
Climb. I'll apologize for not recognizing the flag under your name, but your statement has nothing to do with reality in the U.S.

If Delta Wing vehicles race on Mars, they won't need rain tires.
Old 26 Feb 2010, 12:43 (Ref:2640873)   #24
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Climb. I'll apologize for not recognizing the flag under your name, but your statement has nothing to do with reality in the U.S.
can you read into Mr Philip Morris' thoughts?

Quote:
If Delta Wing vehicles race on Mars, they won't need rain tires.
who knows? they found some water lately
Old 26 Feb 2010, 12:46 (Ref:2640875)   #25
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
Quote:
I know some people that have worked for him, all of whom liked him and they tell me indy is his main focus and interest, nascar just being business to him for instance.

Are you sure? take a look at this

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81519