Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 26 Jun 2011, 20:05 (Ref:2906518)   #51
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Why are we arguing? Who cares about what moves are risky or not. People always take risks. Just because Audi or Peugeot have the money to make new cars doesn't mean they can write one off from stupid moves. Lives were at stake in some of those crashes. You think they (Audi) didn't care the car was out? Maybe the repercussions are greater for privateer teams, but that's not to say there isn't any for the factory teams. No way do people take risks just because they can. Audi ended up winning anyway didn't they? Risks or not. Lets get back to this Imola race. Who's going to win?
Old 26 Jun 2011, 20:23 (Ref:2906528)   #52
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I reckon Pug will , Sarrazin .
Old 26 Jun 2011, 20:47 (Ref:2906540)   #53
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
To most of us, we'll NEVER see what consequences there are to Audi writing off those two cars, so to most of us, there effectively weren't any repercussions beyond the race itself. (What we don't perceive ourselves we don't perceive as being real.)

And yes, people DO take risks just because they think they can. If consequences to an action have been insufficient, or non-existent, in the past, then one becomes complacent. Even if this does not become the case for many, every single one of us becomes less vigilent as safety increases, and therefore risks, mistakes, and accidents increase due to normal negligence.

As for Imola, yeah, I'd put my money on Peugeot at this stage.

And just for reference, it's been 27 years since Le Mans sportscars last ran at Imola: WSC in 1984. I just hope the WEC can get back to Monza here in the next few seasons.
Old 26 Jun 2011, 21:31 (Ref:2906558)   #54
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I wouldn't be so sure about Peugeot--they've damaged or destroyed their fair share of cars this year as well, and when they get agressive, they make mistakes, such as Lamy's errors, their testing accidents (the Minassian accident was partly attributed to a normally innocuous driver error being built up because of the car running an aggressive aero set up, according to sources), and they even had some close calls at Le Mans as well.

With Imola having so few straights, things might come to a head, and I think that the advantage will go to who has the faster (most notably better handling) car. Audi had that edge at Le Mans, and Audi will have new bodywork for Imola and the remaining ILMC events, while it's not clear what Peugeot may have planned.

The guys who have the faster cars will be liable to take less risks just by having the faster car (and just who that is is yet to be determined). I just hope that Imola, with it's lack of long straights and fast corners, doesn't turn into a shambles like the NASCAR races at Road America's last restarts and the race from Infineon have become.
Old 26 Jun 2011, 22:43 (Ref:2906585)   #55
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I don't think you get what I'm saying. I'm not talking about risks being taken because they're complacent with the outcomes, but I'm saying people don't do things that are perceived as something that would cause an end to their race or careers (be it from injury or from termination). If every race someone bins their car on a risk, they're not going to be held onto. They'll be known as a crasher. Too much of a risk taker, then get blasted in the media or by the competitors or by their own team. That's what I'm saying by the phrase not taking risks because they can.
Old 26 Jun 2011, 23:45 (Ref:2906607)   #56
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Spa isn't exactly a pure, high-speed circuit; it's certainly NOT in the same vein as Monza or Le Mans, and Peugeot won there in fairly convincing fashion.

Imola has quite a substantial pit straight now, since the Variente Bassa is gone. The run from Variente Alta to Rivazza isn't insignificant either. Piratella is pretty quick, but pretty much all of the other real corners are slow enough that even if Audi is set up with more aero, that isn't going to serve them quite so well. Besides, NONE of the chicanes seem profiled to be conducive to normal, intra-class overtaking.
Old 27 Jun 2011, 01:44 (Ref:2906630)   #57
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm not familiar with this track, but is there an orchard in the middle? On the Google Earth images there seems to be rows of trees.
Old 27 Jun 2011, 03:46 (Ref:2906639)   #58
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Audi Racer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
We'll see. im excited by the Peugeot Lineup though. Montagny and Sarrazin!! Davidson and Bourdais!! where has this lineup been all my life? Instead they have been punishing us with stints from Pedro Lamy and Nick Minassian. But they've got some seriously quick young drivers.

Expect the Peugeots to collide with traffic though.
Old 27 Jun 2011, 08:49 (Ref:2906698)   #59
PorscheCurves
Racer

Australia
Sydney
PorscheCurves should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Audi will win and do it convincingly. They seem to have a faster car and a car that has far more downforce than the Pugs. I think that the Pugs will dial alot of downforce into the 908 though and a have much more aggressive stratergy to compensate but will only finish at the bottom step of the poduim.

In GTE-PRO, I think it'll be AF Corse's race with the BMWs close behind.
Old 27 Jun 2011, 09:12 (Ref:2906710)   #60
cdsvg
Racer

Australia
cdsvg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackreviewers View Post
All now updated, we've now got that video, thank-you
Isnt there supposed to be an extra chicane just before the pit straight that seems to be missing in that video? Referring to this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R37eTZ2KRKg
Old 27 Jun 2011, 09:16 (Ref:2906712)   #61
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsavage View Post
Isnt there supposed to be an extra chicane just before the pit straight that seems to be missing in that video? Referring to this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R37eTZ2KRKg
Track layout has been altered since 2007.
Old 27 Jun 2011, 09:38 (Ref:2906719)   #62
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsavage View Post
before tilken restruction works there was a left chicane before main straight (that is not a straight), and after 1994 after Senna death there were changings also in the tamburello turn. I don't like at all that track, monza was a better choice.
Old 27 Jun 2011, 10:19 (Ref:2906744)   #63
Dunlop Corner
Racer

Dunlop Corner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Imola is a nice track with beautiful scenary and elevation changes. Hate it all you will, but the Tamburello chicane is actually quite nice, although i could live without the Villeneuve chicane. Aqua Minarale is much better since they opened it.

But i will agree that it seems like a track that does not suit multiclass racing. There are many places were it is hard to go side by side, so the prototypes has to be really patient. And if the GT drivers "stick to their line" on the curvy home straight we could have some ugly incidents in the Tiemann kink.

But i like Imola and is very much looking forward to this race.
Old 27 Jun 2011, 10:33 (Ref:2906749)   #64
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Audi Racer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheCurves View Post
I think Audi will win and do it convincingly. They seem to have a faster car and a car that has far more downforce than the Pugs. I think that the Pugs will dial alot of downforce into the 908 though and a have much more aggressive stratergy to compensate but will only finish at the bottom step of the poduim.

In GTE-PRO, I think it'll be AF Corse's race with the BMWs close behind.
Yeah. Imola is Audi all day. Everyday. They have more aerodynamic efficiency.

In GTE Pro I'm afraid it;s going to be the Ferrari 458 show. Imola is a handling track. The Ferrari 458 is a clear cut above the rest of the field handling wise because it's a new design with a much stiffer chassis.

Besides. All midengined cars have the benefit or reduce tire wear front and rear. Compared to the rear heavy porsche. I always wondered why the BMW never struggled near the end of it's stints like the corvette did at Lemans being front engined but then i remembered that with the engine mounting that M3 GT2 has 50/50 weight balance(well the road M3 is 50/50 split as well). the Corvette and Porsche Guys fell off towards the ends of their stints at Lemans because the porsche rear tires and the Corvette front tires. Beig rear and front engined.
Old 27 Jun 2011, 11:51 (Ref:2906785)   #65
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Guess what? Guess Racing Europ won't be present at Imola.

And no, I don't have my surprised face on.
Old 27 Jun 2011, 12:34 (Ref:2906815)   #66
MihokS5
Racer

MihokS5 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I'd bet on Audi too. Even though the R18 struggled at Spa with setup during the race-the car has been extremely quick in every other session so far.
It definitely seems to be the better car at this point
Old 27 Jun 2011, 12:53 (Ref:2906822)   #67
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
guess europe lola is a vaporware.... the duke nukem forever of LMS
Old 27 Jun 2011, 14:41 (Ref:2906865)   #68
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
The trouble with the Tamburello chicane is that the prior bend to the road virtually eliminates outbraking, overtaking maneuvers into the chicane. The Villeneuve chicane has the quicker bend leading into the slower one, and so doesn't work for overtaking either. And those two chicanes make two, new, rather short straights, which eliminates overtaking into Tosa pretty much, as well as slipstreaming coming through and out of Tamburello.

I'm glad the Acque Minerale chicane was removed, but I've never been terribly happy with the Variente Alta, especially the tightened version they've had starting in 2006. And I wish they would have just used the original road when they got rid of the Variente Bassa. And really, adding the run-off at that bend by pit-in created that scenario with the barrier coming back into toward the track that made Marcel Tiemann's crash that much more severe, because of the steeper impact angle.
Old 27 Jun 2011, 16:11 (Ref:2906898)   #69
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm just packing ready to fly out (combining the race with a well earned break)
Sounds like you guys know the circuit pretty well - recommendations for good vantage points?

Latest weather says a comfortable mid-20s throughout the weekend.
Old 27 Jun 2011, 17:14 (Ref:2906927)   #70
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Say what, did I read that right? In the UK, we get a grand 1 hour of coverage. Can we guarantee the player will carry the whole race or are we stuck with that?
Old 27 Jun 2011, 17:46 (Ref:2906943)   #71
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
UK recieves both channels.
Old 27 Jun 2011, 18:32 (Ref:2906967)   #72
TF110
Veteran

United States
What about us state side? Any live feeds like Spa? Hopefully besides Peugeot's site.
Old 27 Jun 2011, 18:33 (Ref:2906968)   #73
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
I see no one mentioned that it was raining at the Porsche Curves when Collard had his accident, maybe this was an added factor?
Good point! Yes it was during a slippery period...I was enjoying the Audi Racer v MitchZ06 argument until it decended into a battle of semantics!

But I can contribute that Collard was catching a 908 during those conditions, so we may conclude that he wasn't that 'fatigued' as he was pushing on where other LMPs were treading with a bit more caution!

As regards Audi & Peugoet, they have added that Brand loyalty factor that used to exist in NASCAR (Ford owners v GM owners)

But I doubt even they have 'unlimited' Budgets...well I know one of them definatly hasn't!
Old 27 Jun 2011, 19:58 (Ref:2907006)   #74
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
More coverage for non-brits again, tee hee... not.

British ES

12-13.00 CET

British ES2

-

ES int

-

ES2 int

12-13.00 CET
16-18.00 CET
Old 27 Jun 2011, 21:25 (Ref:2907043)   #75
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkiller8 View Post
guess europe lola is a vaporware.... the duke nukem forever of LMS
The difference being that Duke Nukem Forever actually did come out eventually. As for Guess Racing Europ, who knows if that will ever happen. I'd like to see what Cooper Tires can do in the big show. Does anyone have any more information on Cooper's involvement with this program (if there is any involvement)?