Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 12 Feb 2013, 18:13 (Ref:3203628)   #51
eps
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
eps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post
Am I being shamed into attending?
Yep!
Old 12 Feb 2013, 19:16 (Ref:3203651)   #52
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
So you are the Silverstone weather Guru now then Ayse, after being sacked from the le mans job for poor performance

No, I tender my resignation from all official weather-predicting duties.....

Any predictions I make are henceforth wholly unofficial and not sanctioned by any formal authority!
Old 12 Feb 2013, 20:51 (Ref:3203688)   #53
frostie
Ten-Tenths Photo Of The Year Winner 2013
Racer

Ireland
Dundalk
frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
No, I tender my resignation from all official weather-predicting duties.....
If I've learned anything from years of races at Silverstone it's that the only reliable form of forecast to look towards Club and whatever's coming over from that direction will be at the track in the next couple of minutes
Old 13 Feb 2013, 09:44 (Ref:3203969)   #54
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am now available to attend.
Old 13 Feb 2013, 14:09 (Ref:3204059)   #55
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Silverstone always has a wind about 20mph higher than the forecast predict and therefore feels about 10 degrees cooler - my advise - always pack warm clothes, always pack rain gear, never bother with an umbrella!
Old 13 Feb 2013, 15:04 (Ref:3204074)   #56
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After Blancpain last year and the freezing cold FIA GT in 2008 and 2010, you would do well to take not just warm clothing but a pair of gloves as well and walking boots. Likewise, pack sunscreen as well. FIA GT 2011 was insane, never got so sunburnt in my life. I had a tan line from my t-shirt until September 2012.
Old 13 Feb 2013, 16:44 (Ref:3204121)   #57
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj choc ice View Post
After Blancpain last year and the freezing cold FIA GT in 2008 and 2010, you would do well to take not just warm clothing but a pair of gloves as well and walking boots. Likewise, pack sunscreen as well. FIA GT 2011 was insane, never got so sunburnt in my life. I had a tan line from my t-shirt until September 2012.
Quite right. I was at that 2008 meeting and the lasting memory is fog.
Old 13 Feb 2013, 19:41 (Ref:3204184)   #58
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj choc ice View Post
FIA GT 2011 was insane, never got so sunburnt in my life. I had a tan line from my t-shirt until September 2012.
I remember the Saturday of that meeting, lovely hot day, not a single cloud in the sky, only a gentle breeze. As soon as I took my seat up in the grandstands on the new start/finish straight I was getting out the coats and gloves! Funny old place, Silverstone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Quite right. I was at that 2008 meeting and the lasting memory is fog.
I remember that, visibility was terrible. Really quite surprised they raced at all, particularly the supporting races before the main event when the fog was at its worst.

Plan for WEC then - take rain coats, hats, scarves, gloves, enormous flask of coffee, sunglasses, sun tan lotion and a thin shirt!
Old 14 Feb 2013, 00:39 (Ref:3204311)   #59
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob View Post
I remember the Saturday of that meeting, lovely hot day, not a single cloud in the sky, only a gentle breeze. As soon as I took my seat up in the grandstands on the new start/finish straight I was getting out the coats and gloves! Funny old place, Silverstone...

I remember that, visibility was terrible. Really quite surprised they raced at all, particularly the supporting races before the main event when the fog was at its worst.

Plan for WEC then - take rain coats, hats, scarves, gloves, enormous flask of coffee, sunglasses, sun tan lotion and a thin shirt!
I was only there on the Saturday in 2011 and it was superb, probably the best weather I've experienced at Silvers. I still think that as far as atmosphere goes the 2008 FIA GT event was quite something, the fog certainly added something even though it was cold.

If you want to know about nutty Silverstone weather, look no further than last years WSBK races. Went with my brother in law, when we got there it was boiling hot sunshine, that turned into a massive thunderstorm behind the hangar straight and sunshine towards Club. It went lovely, warm and sunny again then another thunderstorm rolled over the circuit bring thunder, lightning and a catastrophic deluge. About an hour later it was sunny again.
Old 14 Feb 2013, 07:57 (Ref:3204432)   #60
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There is of course the LMES race in 2005 too. Got very very wet that day!
Old 14 Feb 2013, 12:38 (Ref:3204601)   #61
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I've been baked, and frozen, all on the same day down there. On regular occasion!
I've seen things you people could never believe...
Old 14 Feb 2013, 12:45 (Ref:3204606)   #62
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
I forgot about 2005, it was very wet and very cold but it gave us a superb LMES race that went into the night. I will be preparing for all eventualities weather wise for the WEC but regardless it should be another superb race like last years, I hope the atmosphere in the grandstands on the pit straight is the same as last year. There was real tension and excitement for the Audi/Toyota battle at the front of the field.
Old 14 Feb 2013, 16:03 (Ref:3204683)   #63
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I remember that one, I was so so cold and being a Reynaud's sufferer I was on almost in tears from vaso-dilation every time I got some heat into my fingers and toes. I couldn't just get up and leave either as I didn't have a car in those days and my mate who had kindly driven my up was off somewhere else and was only coming to pick me up at a pre-arranged time after the race. I have never ever being so happy to sit in a warm car! The end of the race was quite entertaining though so that did go some way to ease my misery, I remember willing on Minassian in the Creation, I think it was also quite close to night too at the end so the colour of the sky and the clearly visible glowing brakes and exhaust flames was quite nice.

I'm planning on going to Silverstone, Spa and maybe Le Mans this year. I promised myself I would do at least 10 straight years of Le Mans then maybe take a break, the tenth year was last year.
Old 14 Feb 2013, 19:44 (Ref:3204803)   #64
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I do remember that. Took both my sons with me. We ended up sitting in the car park - it was soooo wet.

What are the chances of the Silverstone food outlets having upped their game since last August.....?

(Or do I really need to even bother to pose the question.....? )
Old 14 Feb 2013, 19:58 (Ref:3204817)   #65
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well they would have to try really hard to get any worse,
Old 20 Feb 2013, 12:10 (Ref:3207875)   #66
eps
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
eps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tix purchased! For all 3 days and it's the end of, the end of term, so should be able to bring along our eldest on the Friday.

Will be good to see the new cars in the flesh as it were Hopefully there will be at least one 'sunny' / dry day out of the 3. I'm hoping to update our Le Mans App that we launched last year (free on Android) with the new liveries and cars for 2013.

Old 20 Feb 2013, 12:32 (Ref:3207883)   #67
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will hopefully be marshalling in the pits/startline areas on the saturday and the sunday, if i can get of work on the saturday.
Old 21 Feb 2013, 19:07 (Ref:3208704)   #68
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
from the FIA WEC twitter feed

Friday 12 April timetable:
9:00 ELMS FP1,
10:15 F3 FP1+2,
12:25 FIAWEC FP1,
14:10 ELMS FP2,
15:25 F3 Qual,
16:25 FIAWEC FP2

Sat 13 Apr timetable:
9:00 #FIAWEC FP3,
10:20 F3 Race 1,
11:10 ELMS Qual,
12:10 FIAWEC Qual,
13:20 F3 Race 2,
15:00 ELMS Race

Sun 14 Apr:
9:10am F3 Race 3,
10:55am #FIAWEC Pit Lane Opens,
12:00 FIAWEC Race Start.

event fan info: SUN 14 APR Pit Lane Walk (Wing pit lane) 9:55-10:45, Autograph Session (in the pit lane) 10:00-10:30.

There all 3 days
Old 21 Feb 2013, 19:15 (Ref:3208712)   #69
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks brands.

Pondering how early I want to get up on the Saturday. Is FP3 one hour?

Got to grab some food and pitch a tent during the day too. Pretty packed schedule!
Old 21 Feb 2013, 20:19 (Ref:3208751)   #70
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
How long is the ELMS race, considering it starts at 3pm - 3 hours? Also, no warm up for the WEC guys on the Sunday morning? Not going to be much entertainment with the F3-borefest being the only thing on track all morning...
Old 21 Feb 2013, 20:58 (Ref:3208772)   #71
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
How long is the ELMS race, considering it starts at 3pm - 3 hours? Also, no warm up for the WEC guys on the Sunday morning? Not going to be much entertainment with the F3-borefest being the only thing on track all morning...
Schedule works for me - pretty full day on Saturday, and no need to stir too promptly on Sunday - justifies decision to splash out on hotel for Friday night too.
Old 21 Feb 2013, 21:01 (Ref:3208773)   #72
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The other question I suppose is where does the impromptu 10tenths meeting fit into the timetable?
Old 21 Feb 2013, 21:50 (Ref:3208811)   #73
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
Schedule works for me - pretty full day on Saturday, and no need to stir too promptly on Sunday - justifies decision to splash out on hotel for Friday night too.
True, and I've no objection to it, but new fans who tend to travel on race day only aren't going to be all that tempted to part with their cash to see just two races, no matter how good value for money it is (that isn't the fault of the race organisers, but rather a sheepish, dull general public we have nowadays, in the UK at least).

Shame the CER guys have gone, they could have had two 30 min races instead of a single one hour - one race on Saturday and another on the Sunday in front of a larger crowd. Would be a fine display of Le Mans heritage there.

Wonder why the likes of the Radical Cup and Speed series parted ways with the ACO events in the UK? The Radicals were good entertainment in the past.
Old 21 Feb 2013, 21:57 (Ref:3208813)   #74
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Sunday's never been that great though - and if you're travelling from somewhere like London on the day, as I have a few times, you don't have a lot of time to fit in much more than the 6 hour race.

Absence of CER is something I grant you is disappointing - having sorted things to be there Saturday and Sunday had been looking forward to seeing some of that machinery - would readily trade F3 (was unimpressed by them supporting DTM at Brands Hatch in 2006 and haven't been that fussed since) for some fire breathing Group 5 and 6 action.
Old 21 Feb 2013, 22:35 (Ref:3208835)   #75
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The other problem with the sunday is allowing for the church break which explains the gap between the F3s and the start of the WEC.

But i will say why do they need an hour and 5 minutes between pit lane open and race start. if this was shorter it would allow for an additional race