Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 15 Jun 2013, 22:06 (Ref:3263172)   #1
Marcus666
Racer

Sweden
Marcus666 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Why can't the Toyota group and Volkswagen group use secondary brands in LMP2

I know the replys will probably "Money" in 95 % of the cases but I am still wondering:

If Toyota and Audi dominates the LMP1 category, why can't they use secondary brands (Lexus/Lamborghini/Scion/Skoda etc.) in LMP2 and make the WEC more attractive to fans? I think it would put the sportscar "genre" higher up the ranks and for manufactures to realize that there is better racing in sportscar than in the open wheel series.

Am I totaly insane stating this?
Old 15 Jun 2013, 22:16 (Ref:3263176)   #2
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You're not totally insane, but I doubt this would be allowed to happen. The ACO don't want manufacturers in LMP2 (although they seem to have turned a blind eye to a number of re-badging jobs, though only really through smaller manufacturers who wouldn't enter LMP1 anyway).
Old 15 Jun 2013, 22:17 (Ref:3263177)   #3
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
You're not totally insane, but....
Sorry, this doesn't read well - you're not insane, FULL STOP. But there is a flaw in your plan
Old 15 Jun 2013, 22:19 (Ref:3263178)   #4
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
The first rule in the LMP rule book states:
Quote:
a/ LMP1: open or closed car, destined more especially to manufacturers.
b/ LMP2: open or closed car, destined only to teams independent of manufacturers and/or engine suppliers.
So the answer is very easy: manufacturers do not belong in LMP2
Old 15 Jun 2013, 22:32 (Ref:3263181)   #5
Marcus666
Racer

Sweden
Marcus666 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
The first rule in the LMP rule book states:

So the answer is very easy: manufacturers do not belong in LMP2

Ok, but the reason why I want more manufactures is:

1. Finally I have realised that Sportscar racing has better racing than F1/GP2/F3/Indycar (barely).
2. Better production related technical reflection.
3. Those Closed cockpit LMP looks bloody good, but the diesels sounds quite booring. Natural aspirated LMP are diamonds in my eyes!
Old 15 Jun 2013, 22:33 (Ref:3263184)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good idea, but you are trying to sell cars and you then have to define one as 'secondary' manufacturer!

It was nice with the MG in P2 a few years. Back in the day you'd have smaller manufacturers, or manufacturers if smaller cars, in lower classes. Nowadays road car manufacturers aren't the ones making most of the prototypes.
Old 16 Jun 2013, 00:36 (Ref:3263222)   #7
Beryl
Veteran

Beryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBeryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As in building cars for privateer teams (ala HPD) or full-on factory efforts? The former is acceptable. A Scion or Seat/Skoda/VW LMP2 customer car would be fine, though it might not be a worthwhile investment and it would be stepping on the toes of independent prototype manufacturers.
Old 16 Jun 2013, 11:19 (Ref:3263363)   #8
aneesh99
Veteran

United Kingdom
aneesh99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The low volume manufacturer in P2 is something that should be explored, there are a few guys that could capitalise on that ie. Caterham and Alpine
Old 17 Jun 2013, 18:38 (Ref:3263939)   #9
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't forget the Morgan brand too... Come to think of it, I wonder if ACO is okay on allowing small marques to rebrand privateer prototype into the likes of clique brands like Lotus, TVR, etc.
Old 17 Jun 2013, 23:50 (Ref:3264066)   #10
Dodge_Swinger
Racer

United States
International Space Station
Dodge_Swinger should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDodge_Swinger should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
As in building cars for privateer teams (ala HPD) or full-on factory efforts? The former is acceptable. A Scion or Seat/Skoda/VW LMP2 customer car would be fine, though it might not be a worthwhile investment and it would be stepping on the toes of independent prototype manufacturers.
I think that most factories would probably subcontract LMP2 production to the independents, so while it might be badged a SEAT, it might be built by Dallara. I liked the Lola MGs in P2 a while back. It would be cool to see SEAT, Skoda, Scion, etc. badge a car.
Old 18 Jun 2013, 16:45 (Ref:3264418)   #11
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Swinger View Post
I think that most factories would probably subcontract LMP2 production to the independents, so while it might be badged a SEAT, it might be built by Dallara. I liked the Lola MGs in P2 a while back. It would be cool to see SEAT, Skoda, Scion, etc. badge a car.
Pretty much what I was about to suggest. Manufacturer teams aren't welcome in P2, so just make it a customer chassis.

Or put a manufacturer name to a car and get some money behind the companies building them, like Dallara, Lola, Zytek etc. - like an extension of the re-badging that we're already seeing. LMP2 might have a lot of entries right now but the choice of car and engine is extremely limited, and many of those building customer LMP cars over the last 5-10 years have either stopped altogether or simply provided minor updates every year. Some manufacturer cash to re-brand it will help to ensure the survival of the car builder and may also help ensure the category remains affordable to the privateers racing the cars.

Might be a nice idea in theory but I can imagine there might be numerous reasons why manufacturers won't do it.