Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 20 Jul 2000, 00:10 (Ref:24252)   #1
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I'm posting this at The Gravel Trap because although it has something to do with Formula One, I think it has something that's best discussed here.

I'm subscribed to F1 Racing magazine.
In their August 2000 issue there's an article by Tom Clarkson called 'On The Inside.'
Here an excerpt of that article:

'...David Coulthard's merciless pursuit of Michael Schumacher was nothing short of sensational, and equal to that of those soldiers on the Western Front who marched on while their mates were being cut down around them...'

I'm usually not very easy offended but this phrase in an article about Formula One really caused resentment.
I think it's appalling when a journalist tries to make a comparison between a sporting event and soldiers who gave their lives in a war.
I think this is so very much insulting, it makes me sick.
I was born just after WW2 and can praise myself very lucky that the country I live in has been without a war for the past 55 years.
But since my parents and grand parents have experienced the cruelty of a war, I'm very well aware of the things that happened.

This journalist is insulting the men and women who gave their lives, in comparing them with some over-paid sports types who happen to drive around in circles and earn millions of dollars in doing so.
Just because he wants to give his story a grasp of sensation he's using a metaphor that in my opinion is absolutely 'not done.'
If this journalist doesn't know how to describe a sporting event in a proper way, he should be looking for another job.

Maybe I'm over reacting, although I think even David Coulthard would consider this article an insult.
Old 20 Jul 2000, 03:20 (Ref:24276)   #2
enzo
Racer

enzo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Couldn't agree with you more. I suggest that you write a letter to that writer care of Autosport & let him know your disgust.
Old 20 Jul 2000, 03:34 (Ref:24281)   #3
Unknown Soldier
Racer

Unknown Soldier should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well said,

It was a very very bad metaphor to use.

I think Tom Clarkson should issue an apology
Old 20 Jul 2000, 03:59 (Ref:24289)   #4
Diabando
Veteran

Australia
Victoria, Australia
Diabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDiabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You are quite justified in your reaction Gerard. Its appalling...and quite frankly, it is typical of the level of journalism around these days. Write a letter.

I, for one, am sick of the sensationalism, conspiracy theories and rubbish surrounding motor racing in recent times. It is one of the reasons I have found myself drawn away from our very own F1 forum here.

Motor racing is exciting enough as it is...there is no need for "the extra bits", particularly when it is as insulting as Gerard's example above.
Old 20 Jul 2000, 04:20 (Ref:24293)   #5
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gerard, I agree with you completely.

That is just one of the examples why I don't regularily read those sort of publications. Although this is particularily bad example, F1 Racing magazine has always published this sort of rubbish. They seem to sensationalize everything. I know they always say that you cannot judge a book (or magazine) by its cover, but F1 Racing magazine is an exception. They have had covers featuring Murray Walker in a Union Jack outfit and Rubino in some silver suit. Those seems to just about sum up the magazine's style.

Autosport is a little better, in that they do not have to make every story sound like it was a battle for the universe, but still not worth reading weekly.

I get all of my news from the internet. The various sites are not without their biased, but they do not use metaphors to tell you what happened. They report what happened not tell a dramatic story.
Old 22 Jul 2000, 10:49 (Ref:24720)   #6
Green_man4421
Racer

Canada
Quebec, Canada
Green_man4421 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SEnsationlising something, what is even sader is that that is seen as something sensational (speaking in media terms) by the public when it is really just SAD.....

What values does our society hold simply those of greed?

Do I think 2 much?
Old 22 Jul 2000, 13:52 (Ref:24763)   #7
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Gerard, what I find most disturbing about the comments in the Article is that it alludes to the fact that Great Britain and Germany fought against each other in two dreadful wars this century, and despite being Allies and I should hope,'friends", the article implies that in some way that DC is a symbol of British pluck and resolve in the face of Germanic Totalitarianism in a still continuing struggle.

It was poor taste at the very least-more probably irresponsible.

Oh, and bad writing too!
Old 22 Jul 2000, 15:08 (Ref:24786)   #8
bobdrummond
Racer

bobdrummond should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What an horrendously poor choice of words. An apology is essential.

Almost as bad as this piece of "writing" was a few weeks ago when Autosport dared to compare Jackie Stewarts exploits with those of Buzz Aldrin.
What a nerve! And JYS took part in it. The ego must be incredible.
Old 22 Jul 2000, 15:34 (Ref:24791)   #9
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!

Gerard, I agree. I haven't had chance to read the article yet, but that is an appalling choice of words. Formula One cannot be compared to a war. I am an avid Formula One fan, but I have to say it's just a sport. A war is a very real thing, there's none of the glamour of the F1 paddock, and to compare the two is outrageous. Thousands of people lost their lives in the WW2 as well as WW1, and while I appreciate the fact that people have died at the wheel of F1 cars, there has never been death on the same scale as a war. Sorry if I'm rambling on, but that is a narrow-minded, insulting thing to say. There is absolutely no way that David Coulthard, however much of a hero he is this year, can be prepared with the heroes of World War Two. You should write to F1 Racing and see if you can have an apology printed for the journalist's use of such unintentionally offensive language.
Old 22 Jul 2000, 19:03 (Ref:24815)   #10
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the support. I wasn't sure whether I was over-reacting or not, but reading your replies I think we can now all agree, this journalist still has a lot to learn.
I've written them a letter about my concerns and also told them to take a look at this thread.

And Ralf's Girl, welcome to 10 Tenths.
Old 23 Jul 2000, 10:29 (Ref:24919)   #11
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm glad you wrote that letter Gerard.

It does indeed kind of sum-up F1 Racing's current attitude. Over recent months, as the price has rather dramatically risen, the quality has been sidelined for silly over-the-top writing.
Old 23 Jul 2000, 11:55 (Ref:24966)   #12
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Thank you Gerard, it's nice to be here. Everyone is so friendly on here! (I've said that already, but you're much nicer than the people on some forums).
I have now found the column that you were referring to, and it made me sick to read that DC is apparently as brave as a war hero. My grandfather was in the navy for the second world war, and there is no way that DC chasing Michael Schumacher around a Grand Prix track can be compared to the bravery of my grandfather and everyone who served in WW2 and WW1.
Old 23 Jul 2000, 17:41 (Ref:25037)   #13
fatbloke
Veteran

fatbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It can't be compared to a driver of a pre-war Silver Arrows or Auto Union, let alone one of the poor people who's life was torn apart by Hitler & co. I unsubscribed from F1 Racing recently as it was nothing more than sensationalistic **** with a load of lairy photos. Looks like I made the right decision. Let us know if you ever hear anything from them, Gerard, though I doubt you will
Old 23 Jul 2000, 20:57 (Ref:25099)   #14
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
I'm not subscribed anyway, but I'm beginning to think you're right, fatbloke. I've read F1 Racing for almost four years and I was under the impression that the journalists, particularly the one in question, had more talent than to write that kind of overexaggerating rubbish. There is a chance, Gerard, that your letter could be printed with an apology. I should certainly hope it is.