Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 27 Jun 2020, 11:47 (Ref:3984193)   #1
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Aero wash worse than ever

Quote:
Downforce on all cars will be reduced by around 15 percent, in a bid to improve the quality of the racing.
https://www.supercars.com/news/champ...nges-for-2020/

Seems like the ~15% reduction in downforce has been a complete flop.

Why wasn't a more ambitious downforce reduction set, taking off 100-150kg of downforce or more? Lots of people were saying why just take off 50 kg (from the former 350kgf @ 200 km/hr) and that it wouldn't be enough.

Quote:
According to Fabian Coulthard, who spent much of the race in traffic after qualifying 10th, following cars is as difficult as it has ever been.

"This year is the worst it's been," he said. "It's so hard to follow. It's pretty much follow the leader, which for me is not enjoyable. Adelaide was the same.

Van Gisbergen offered an emphatic "yes" when asked post-race if the cars have too much aero, before explaining that even plans to develop a softer tyre won't help with lowering the downforce.

"Firstly, you've got to be able to follow the cars," he said. "That will make the racing better more than the tyres. The aero following cars is the worst it's ever been, now, with the Gurney flaps."
https://www.motorsport.com/v8superca...odore/4812699/

What a screwup! They had the chance to make some big changes -- to get rid of the oversized rear wing endplates and bootlid extensions on both cars completely, but they didn't do it. Doesn't make sense.
Old 27 Jun 2020, 19:40 (Ref:3984250)   #2
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah the -15% didn't seem to help did it? Here's a thought though - why not change it now?

*Last season set a heavy precedent in regards to "in-season" changes...

*Lots of sprint races this year

*Any knowledge gained now will help development of Gen3

This year is already...messy. Let's sort this significant problem out now on move on
Old 27 Jun 2020, 21:13 (Ref:3984268)   #3
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Always has been and still is now very difficult (read impossible) to accurately predict the aero wash impact of following other cars, other than by actually going racing.

If it is in fact worse or at the least not as good as hoped, then some running changes could be made, based off data collected during races. The impact of the virus on budgets might be an argument used against making in-season changes though.

We'll see how it plays out but 15% was always flagged as the first step with more to come - be good if more could come sooner rather than later.
Old 28 Jun 2020, 04:48 (Ref:3984289)   #4
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Having just watched the 1st Sunday race from SMP, I have to say "aero wash, shmaero wash".

That race shows that there is way more than aero at play when it comes to good racing and passing.

I do expect though, that it is a case of a new format and other restrictions shaking up the order - once the teams get their head around it, normal service is likely to be resumed and aero may become a focus point again.
Old 28 Jun 2020, 06:52 (Ref:3984290)   #5
Compromised
Veteran

I think not handing out enough Dunlop's had a HUGE impact on overtaking opportunities.

Personally I view it the same as DRS - artificial and not what I mean when I say I want to see more overtaking.
Old 28 Jun 2020, 08:18 (Ref:3984298)   #6
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Aerowash, more like hogwash. The racing was better this weekend than we have seen for ages in the long race , refueling era. Sensible format at last!
Old 28 Jun 2020, 11:39 (Ref:3984326)   #7
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by champcarman View Post
Aerowash, more like hogwash. The racing was better this weekend than we have seen for ages in the long race , refueling era. Sensible format at last!
Yeap I just posted similar comment on the Race Thread
Old 28 Jun 2020, 20:08 (Ref:3984383)   #8
Compromised
Veteran

Doesn't it seem a little contrived to you guys when Percat dominates Whincup AND Scotty?

Of course there was overtaking - they were on totally different tires!
Old 28 Jun 2020, 20:41 (Ref:3984387)   #9
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
Doesn't it seem a little contrived to you guys when Percat dominates Whincup AND Scotty?

I thought all teams were allocated the same amount of tires of the same compound for the weekend.
Old 28 Jun 2020, 21:34 (Ref:3984394)   #10
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:

Managing tyres (note correct spelling of that word) is a key part of a race weekend - with SMP being hard on tyres and "only" 5 sets per car, we saw the outcome of different teams / drivers taking different paths - nothing remotely contrived about it, simply the regulations for the weekend delivered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
I thought all teams were allocated the same amount of tires of the same compound for the weekend.
Exactly - except for you getting the spelling of "tyres" wrong.
Old 28 Jun 2020, 21:59 (Ref:3984398)   #11
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post

Why wasn't a more ambitious downforce reduction set, taking off 100-150kg of downforce or more? Lots of people were saying why just take off 50 kg (from the former 350kgf @ 200 km/hr) and that it wouldn't be enough.

I think someone said, around the time of the parity tests, that they wanted to do that before the start of the season, but the cost of completely new aero kits was to much. So they went with a reduction and a plan for more later.
Old 29 Jun 2020, 11:56 (Ref:3984474)   #12
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Put all the eggs in 1 basket. WHo cares, same allocation just on how they manage it right !!!!

Last edited by Sandgroper; 29 Jun 2020 at 11:56. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 29 Jun 2020, 19:42 (Ref:3984555)   #13
Compromised
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
Put all the eggs in 1 basket. WHo cares, same allocation just on how they manage it right !!!!
Yeah I understand that aspect of it, but my personal preference is to see overtaking between competitor's on very similar tires and fuel loads - not interested in "management strategy", I just like racing.

It does seem popular though, really "mixes things up!". Maybe reverse grids next - everyone has to deal with the same thing, right?
Old 29 Jun 2020, 20:29 (Ref:3984560)   #14
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Yeah I understand that aspect of it, but my personal preference is to see overtaking between competitor's on very similar tires and fuel loads - not interested in "management strategy", I just like racing.

It does seem popular though, really "mixes things up!". Maybe reverse grids next - everyone has to deal with the same thing, right?
No problem with reverse grids or drawing starting positions out of a hat.
Old 30 Jun 2020, 01:03 (Ref:3984581)   #15
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Yeah I understand that aspect of it, but my personal preference is to see overtaking between competitor's on very similar tires and fuel loads
The car/driver combinations are too fast for that to occur as frequently and inn the manner you'd like.

Maybe it's best you give up on supercars and follow Formula Vee.

Quote:
- not interested in "management strategy", I just like racing.
Accounting for any artificial rules (mandatory stops, use of compounds, etc.), management strategy is racing.

It's pretty much the whole history of motor racing.
Old 30 Jun 2020, 01:43 (Ref:3984582)   #16
Compromised
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 litre Touring Car Star View Post
The car/driver combinations are too fast for that to occur as frequently and inn the manner you'd like.
Then so be it. If a slower driver cannot overtake a faster one I can live with that. If things like aero wash can be reduced leading to more overtaking all the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 litre Touring Car Star View Post
Accounting for any artificial rules (mandatory stops, use of compounds, etc.), management strategy is racing.

It's pretty much the whole history of motor racing.
Nah, it's the history of Supercars though. If they are happy with current viewer numbers/last year's crowd figures/industry involvement etc the they should definitely keep going down this path.

Remember, they gave everyone more tires last year (which was well received). Ostensibly they've reduced numbers this year for financial reasons, not to aid the racing
Old 30 Jun 2020, 07:35 (Ref:3984606)   #17
Jerico
Veteran

New Zealand
Jerico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post

https://www.motorsport.com/v8superca...odore/4812699/

What a screwup! They had the chance to make some big changes -- to get rid of the oversized rear wing endplates and bootlid extensions on both cars completely, but they didn't do it. Doesn't make sense.
+1