Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 3 Oct 2020, 12:54 (Ref:4008251)   #226
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Its time for John, our most recent Stupido Club member, to try and catch the real spirit of this thread and club.
Talking about 917's I ask two questions to EB, Brit expat to Aus, and he will show exactly the two pictures illustrating the said questions.
Race is Watkins Glen 1971:
1 Where is the damn oil dip stick?
2 Where does this second wiper come from?
EB, please proceed and dont disappoint me!
Jeezus Gerry.... why pick on me?

Lets start with the dip stick.... no idea as it is a dry sump. Maybe in the tank lid? Maybe its just an eyeball job done by sight. Or a nice clean stickwith a texter mark on it!

The wipers is hopefully easier as on occasions a secondary wiper blade was fitted off the lower part of the main wiper blade.

You wanted a picture....

PS Im not sure I have made the Stupido Club yet..... I am still in the feeder / junior Ultra Stupido Club

Last edited by E.B; 3 Oct 2020 at 13:01.
Old 3 Oct 2020, 12:58 (Ref:4008253)   #227
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
So Robert you already found that we're expecting pics from Bell and Adamovicz did you?
Old 3 Oct 2020, 13:10 (Ref:4008257)   #228
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
So Robert you already found that we're expecting pics from Bell and Adamovicz did you?

What about Siffert, Van Lennep (in for Oliver) and Attwood. Or Mario de Cabral who co-drove with Adamowicz.
Old 3 Oct 2020, 14:06 (Ref:4008265)   #229
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Not bad EB. I was expecting a picture from Bell as an improvised mechanic under the hood of his car. See what i mean?
Additional wiper, do you have access to a pic from the Sandeman sponsored 917? Q and race?
I see that you moved with the dust!!!
Old 3 Oct 2020, 14:14 (Ref:4008266)   #230
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm claiming the prize for being the first to spot that the picture isn't a real 917!

Hah! And you lot thought I was one of the stupidos!
Old 3 Oct 2020, 14:36 (Ref:4008268)   #231
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
I'm claiming the prize for being the first to spot that the picture isn't a real 917!

Hah! And you lot thought I was one of the stupidos!
But its a real model.....
....and it was the best image I could find showing said secondary wiper.

@Gerry yes I have a pic of the Sandeman car driven by Adamowicz and De Cabral. A German car entered by an Englishman with one Portugese and a Polish American driving!

Oh and the pic of Derek Bell under the bonnet.....

Last edited by E.B; 3 Oct 2020 at 14:43.
Old 3 Oct 2020, 15:24 (Ref:4008273)   #232
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Well done EB, exactly the pictures I was thinking about! See that, Paul, all the Stupidos are very clever and remain connected from one part of the world to another. If its not friendship…

Genuine question I have not the answer to: what is on the windshield of #43, not seen during scrutineering and Q ? Is it related to the fact that the euro cars could enter two grids with different rules?
Old 3 Oct 2020, 15:26 (Ref:4008275)   #233
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I read the a2racer.com site but didn't find the answer. What about inventing a legend for the Bell image? Something like "Is it a 13 mm or 1/2 i spanner I need to fix that?"

Just realized its 1 AM and already Sunday at Melbourne…*

Last edited by Gerard C; 3 Oct 2020 at 15:33.
Old 3 Oct 2020, 16:13 (Ref:4008287)   #234
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
I read the a2racer.com site but didn't find the answer. What about inventing a legend for the Bell image? Something like "Is it a 13 mm or 1/2 i spanner I need to fix that?"

Just realized its 1 AM and already Sunday at Melbourne…*
And our clocks go forward an hour, in an hour.
Old 3 Oct 2020, 17:34 (Ref:4008300)   #235
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Our change is planed on 23 rd of October. From 3 AM to 2 AM in a fraction of a second, but racing is not concerned! Our whole country is adjusted on Greenwich while yours has three different times, correct?
Old 3 Oct 2020, 19:16 (Ref:4008319)   #236
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Paul as you can see this thread keeps alive the traditions. One is to imagine a question for the new guests. One for you which I find easy given your location in the UK…
Nobody will help you, no PM, and you must post all your suggestions as they come up to your mind.
Ready? Go! What Napier and Dunlop have in common?
Old 3 Oct 2020, 22:41 (Ref:4008368)   #237
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Our change is planed on 23 rd of October. From 3 AM to 2 AM in a fraction of a second, but racing is not concerned! Our whole country is adjusted on Greenwich while yours has three different times, correct?
Yes but on occasions more.

The three standard ones are:

Australian Western Standard Time (AWST; UTC+08:00),
Australian Central Standard Time (ACST; UTC+09:30),
Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST; UTC+10:00).

But, time is regulated by the individual state governments, some of which observe daylight saving time (DST). So in the Eastern states I think Queensland does not do daylight saving, so Brisbane might be an hour different to Sydney and Melbourne.

In the West they dont do Daylight saving, and in the Central zone South Australia do but Northern Territory dont.

Confused?

A map that explains it in picture form:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...-timezones.png

I feel this is venturing far from the quiz theme of the thread, and I am conscious, in answering your question, of upsetting Emperor Bauble.
Old 4 Oct 2020, 06:17 (Ref:4008456)   #238
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I too noticed this certain lack of humility EB. Disappointing but thats life.
May be you could upload one or more pics from Bell searching his key holder under the hood, please?

Back to Paul from Southport by the sea special question:
What Napier and Dunlop have in common?
Old 4 Oct 2020, 08:34 (Ref:4008465)   #239
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I
Quote:
feel this is venturing far from the quiz theme of the thread, and I am conscious, in answering your question, of upsetting Emperor Bauble.

EB; Never mind about upsetting me, for while I am fairly broad minded I rathe feel that some here have stretched the bounds of decency with some of their posts.

We have a picture of a naked man crouched beneath the bonnet of a car, parked on a public highway, and then ask people to point out where his dip stick is!:

Now is that acceptable on a site open to women and children?
Old 4 Oct 2020, 09:05 (Ref:4008466)   #240
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
When asking; "Is he joking?" Best assume yes!
Old 4 Oct 2020, 09:50 (Ref:4008470)   #241
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
To restore order, and morality to this thread, I invite you to ID the cars and name the driver - a champion driver!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0251.JPG   IMG_4724.JPG   IMG_6379.jpg  

IMG_1826.JPG   Revival Friday 001 (4).jpg   IMG_5642.JPG  

Old 4 Oct 2020, 10:29 (Ref:4008479)   #242
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I too noticed this certain lack of humility EB. Disappointing but thats life.
May be you could upload one or more pics from Bell searching his key holder under the hood, please?

Back to Paul from Southport by the sea special question:
What Napier and Dunlop have in common?

Gerard - I have to declare that question invalid, for two reasons:

1) There's no picture - this is supposed to be picture puzzles, and;

2) I don't know the answer!

(Unless it's something to do with Dunlop supplying the tyres for the Napier engined land speed record cars? Some of this took place on Southport beach, not one mile from my house!)
Old 4 Oct 2020, 10:33 (Ref:4008481)   #243
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Paul no picture needed this is related to a famous island facing you shore. Just find which kind of Dunlop I was talking about…
Old 4 Oct 2020, 10:48 (Ref:4008484)   #244
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Aha!

Joey Dunlop perhaps? On the Isle of Man?

Not sure of the Napier connection though...
Old 4 Oct 2020, 11:37 (Ref:4008493)   #245
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
A Napier raced on the Isle of Man in the 1905 Gordon Bennett Trophy... apparently?
Old 4 Oct 2020, 11:56 (Ref:4008499)   #246
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
A Napier raced on the Isle of Man in the 1905 Gordon Bennett Trophy... apparently?
Certainly a Napier did race (and won) on the IoM.

His name was John. Car was an Arrol-Johnston.
Oh and it was the 1905 TT that John Napier won.... not sure if he used Dunlop tyres, thats all.
Old 4 Oct 2020, 12:04 (Ref:4008500)   #247
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Great team work, Isle of Man, Napier and Joey Dunlop -what a fantastic champion-. Yes this crazy race started on four wheels.
See that Paul, at last with some help you got it right.

One part of our game, initiated by bauble, resides in the obscur way to ask questions…
Old 4 Oct 2020, 12:09 (Ref:4008501)   #248
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
EB post 241 pic 6 if you change the front end gril lets say with a cuore sportivo dont you think it gives a kind of Giulietta or Berlina?
Old 4 Oct 2020, 12:20 (Ref:4008502)   #249
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
EB post 241 pic 6 if you change the front end gril lets say with a cuore sportivo dont you think it gives a kind of Giulietta or Berlina?
Certainly does Gerry, but I think it is an Isuzu Bellett. We had one used to race here. Great little class winning car. In fact the Bellett has a Goodwood History as I think Bruce McLaren drove one there in the mid sixties
Old 4 Oct 2020, 14:10 (Ref:4008523)   #250
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
' t was easier for the Japs to export RHD cars to countries like the UK, Sweden, SA or Aus for obvious reasons. If you say Datsun to a French he will answer 240 Z and '70 s, say Isuzu he will answer pick-up and at least 2000's.
More recently I had a wonderful love story with a SRL311 fitted with the works kit. The best of its category. May be ugly but watta car!