Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History > Historic Image Archive

Old 16 Jul 2002, 08:32 (Ref:334772)   #51
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Crash, you are correct, i was in that very, very wet Historic Toruing Car race at Lakeside, i spun 3 times on the first lap! I'm very glad i didn't hit anythng, i certainly wouldn't have seen it, visibility was only a few feet.

DNQ, is right, the ATCC round at Lakeside is the wettest meeting that didn't happen. On race day there was 8 inches of water covering the main straight, the pits and Hungry corner. They ran the meeting a week later, in brilliant sunshine. Though the flood had left a thick layer of silt on the circuit, which nobody bothered to clean up. Lap one of the first practice session and everyone disappeared in a massive dust cloud.
Old 16 Jul 2002, 13:40 (Ref:335001)   #52
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 1989 ATCC round at Lakeside was delayed a week for exactly the same reason, the track flooded.

Also the 1987 ATCC round at Surfers Paradise was delayed a week, also for flooding.
Old 16 Jul 2002, 18:07 (Ref:335162)   #53
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, it seems that it rains an awful lot in Australia!
Old 17 Jul 2002, 00:34 (Ref:335448)   #54
Rutle
Rookie

Rutle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
originaly posted by ingo
......Birmingham in 1988 ...... Brands BOAC 1000 in 1970 ..... Pedro Rodriguez's drive in the Porsche 917 ..... Ickx in the 512 stop repeatedly to sort his windscreen wiper(s) out!
.....greatest impact made by rain ..... 1975 British GP at Silverstone.... torrential rain down at Stowe and Club left about a dozen cars in the catch fencing.
I was at all these races too - four years older than you - and remember them very well. Rodriguez - awesome round Paddock in the wet.

We (our crowd) always stood at Club when the GP was at Silverstone and I clearly remember in '75 that pile of cars on the outside of the corner as they just kept coming...aquaplaning into each other....one after the other. Some very lucky drivers that day.
Old 17 Jul 2002, 07:38 (Ref:335560)   #55
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jordi, Australia is famous for it's droughts, which are punctuated by heavy flooding. Also Lakeside, as the name implies is beside a lake and Surfer's Paradise is beside a tidal river, famous for it's flooding.
Old 17 Jul 2002, 10:07 (Ref:335645)   #56
eldougo
Rookie

eldougo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for those great pic,s (Racing fxgt) I don,t care what year these are the best f1 cars.
Just to recap .
Hill at the GLEN 1969
Rindt at the Ring Lotus
Amon STP March
J Bonnier McLaren BRM
Pedro,s Silver & Black Stripe Helmut BRM
Cleremont-Ferrand start 1970 great shot
Thanks for the MEMORY,S
Old 17 Jul 2002, 11:01 (Ref:335676)   #57
eldougo
Rookie

eldougo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Meetings that spring to mind are the International Trophy at Silverstone in 1978 when
Keke won in the Theodore .
Don,t remind me of that day I was the mechanic on the Shadow DN9 for Hans Stuck it was leading when a lousey SPARKPLUG let go an K K took the race.
Old 17 Jul 2002, 11:41 (Ref:335695)   #58
racing fxgt
Racer

racing fxgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is Graham Hills advert for Autolite spark plugs from 1969,nice picture but spoilt by the cartoon bubble
Attached Thumbnails
hill advert1.jpg  
Old 17 Jul 2002, 11:45 (Ref:335699)   #59
racing fxgt
Racer

This one's from 1967 Graham Hill after a blow up,no information on car or where.
Attached Thumbnails
hill crash.jpg  
Old 17 Jul 2002, 11:48 (Ref:335702)   #60
racing fxgt
Racer

Here's some winner's pic's
Attached Thumbnails
jim1.jpg  
Old 17 Jul 2002, 11:49 (Ref:335703)   #61
racing fxgt
Racer

Jackie
Attached Thumbnails
jackie.jpg  
Old 17 Jul 2002, 11:50 (Ref:335706)   #62
racing fxgt
Racer

Jack
Attached Thumbnails
jack.jpg  
Old 17 Jul 2002, 12:52 (Ref:335732)   #63
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rdjones
Le Mans 2001, which was the wettest Le Mans ever.
In my opinion Le Mans 1995 was worse - buckets worse!
Old 17 Jul 2002, 13:25 (Ref:335747)   #64
Trebor
Rookie

Trebor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the wettest race ever was the Nissan Grand Prix du Mardi Gras at the New Orleans Street Circuit.
The 2 hours of New Orleans the 9th round of the 1991 IMSA Championship.
I have the race still on videotape and looked it a couple of months again.
It was the first win of the Intrepid RM-1 Chevrolet with Wayne Taylor behind the steering wheel.
Old 17 Jul 2002, 20:57 (Ref:336002)   #65
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Trans-Am race at Elkhart last year was miserably wet. Not the wettest ever, but worth mentioning. These big V8-powered cars lurching sideways through the corners... 5 cars ending up in one run-off, if my memory serves me! Within two laps of each other! And a few skilled drivers in obsolete machinery managing to take advantage of it before the red flag was thrown and the previous lap's order was made official!

SCCA Pro Racing officials. Completely brainless.
Attached Images

Old 17 Jul 2002, 21:29 (Ref:336034)   #66
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hmm - I've got a November 1966 Brands Hatch programme that lists a Cannon GT entered by Mike Cannon. I'll see if anything shows up after that.

I'm assuming A-Series BMC engine somewhere in there...
Old 17 Jul 2002, 23:14 (Ref:336129)   #67
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Patto, Jordi- It only rains once a year here, and when it does, it comes down in the form of cats and dogs, and inevitably its the week before a big race meeting

There was a state championship meeting at Lakeside not that long ago, where the track flooded on Thurs/Friday, and there was still a rather massive 'puddle' at the Kink...
Old 17 Jul 2002, 23:27 (Ref:336137)   #68
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To back up my post above of Cyd Williams, here is another Brabham BT21 of Peter Gaydon winning at Silverstone - but not a photo, a painting I did for him a few years back. Following are Charlie Lucas, John Miles, Alan Rollinson and Mo Nunn through the old Woodcote at Silverstone in 1967.
This too is on my website.
Took loads of research this as Peter had no photos whatsoever.
Attached Thumbnails
gaydonf3.jpg  
Old 18 Jul 2002, 06:40 (Ref:336239)   #69
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Rod Longton still campaigns various MGB's. He'll no doubt be out to play at Silverstone for the MGCC festival.
Old 18 Jul 2002, 08:37 (Ref:336298)   #70
racing fxgt
Racer

Found these, John Elvers and Alan Woode
Attached Thumbnails
sprite.jpg  
Old 18 Jul 2002, 08:40 (Ref:336299)   #71
racing fxgt
Racer

And Rodger Enever driving Garo Nigogosian,s 1300 Midget
Attached Thumbnails
midget.jpg  
Old 18 Jul 2002, 08:47 (Ref:336303)   #72
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Great! I wondered how long it would be before you submitted to this thread Racing fxgt, as you have some great club racing pics! More please! Roger Enevers own car was usually black.
Old 18 Jul 2002, 08:59 (Ref:336310)   #73
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Now then. Not wishing to harp on about MG's but there's another famous MG racer. I'm going to have to look out my books again this weekend.
Old 18 Jul 2002, 09:17 (Ref:336324)   #74
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Gabrielle Konig?
Bill Nicholson?
Old 18 Jul 2002, 10:25 (Ref:336376)   #75
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Sadly, Bill Nicholson died in the early nineties. Wonder what happend to his car?

Another name is Barry Sidery-Smith. He organises events at Spa etc. and owns the works MGB DRX 255C (I think thats the reg no).

BTW. I was referring to Roger Enever in the previous post. Son of MG designer Sid Enever. Roger was famous for crashing one of the works B's (7 DBL?) on the Tour de France in '65.

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 18 Jul 2002 at 10:27.