Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 27 Mar 2004, 14:57 (Ref:921285)   #1
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OWRS Champ Car's first champion

As this is the beginning of a new era in Champ Car racing who do you folks think would be the best champion in the first year from a PR point of view.
So many to pick from;
a couple young american kids RHR & AJ or maybe the veteran american and former champ Jeemy. Maybe the returning champ and probably the biggest name in Champ Car Paul Tracy. Or either of the former F3000 champs at NewmanHaas. Maybe Wilson doing a Montoya and taking the championship in his rookie year. Or how about the two mexicans Jourdain and Dominguez with their strong followings.
Either way you look at it that is a very good crop of drivers and I haven't included Tag or Carpentier yet. All of them are capable of winning races, but which one do you think would be the best representative of Champ Car.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 30 Mar 2004, 00:05 (Ref:923453)   #2
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think AJ Allmendinger and RHR would be the best representatives, as they are new, young American talent. I think if any of the Rookies have a shot at it this year it will be AJ Allmendinger. The guy is simply amazing. Mark my words.
Old 30 Mar 2004, 00:20 (Ref:923465)   #3
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
sgw2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Junqueira or even more likely Bourdais. I see NHR on top.

Just like last year, when I picked Tracy, I am basing it upon team budgets and resources. FCR has less budget, but expanded to three cars with Lavin getting the extra resources (he brings money). So PT's chances are much diminished. On the other hand NHR has not stretched, nor do they need to trim the budget.

Could AJA win a race? Sure, the talent is a bit thinner, but his team is unporven. Its unlikely they'll match Rocketsports performance. Jourdain's slim title chances went away with Rahal's defection. RHR has upgraded his ride, but not enough to consistently challenge for the title. PKVR is not a threat, nor is Conquest or DCR. Tagliani has a shot at being the best finishing Canadian - no trauma on the team and he has the focus of Rocketsports.
Old 30 Mar 2004, 00:31 (Ref:923477)   #4
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by sgw2
Junqueira or even more likely Bourdais. I see NHR on top.

Just like last year, when I picked Tracy, I am basing it upon team budgets and resources. FCR has less budget, but expanded to three cars with Lavin getting the extra resources (he brings money). So PT's chances are much diminished. On the other hand NHR has not stretched, nor do they need to trim the budget.

Could AJA win a race? Sure, the talent is a bit thinner, but his team is unporven. Its unlikely they'll match Rocketsports performance. Jourdain's slim title chances went away with Rahal's defection. RHR has upgraded his ride, but not enough to consistently challenge for the title. PKVR is not a threat, nor is Conquest or DCR. Tagliani has a shot at being the best finishing Canadian - no trauma on the team and he has the focus of Rocketsports.
Why couldn't Rusport match Rocketsports performance? They have plenty of money, and no offense to Tags, but he's not the driver that AJ is. Tags has more experience in Champcars and he knows all the tracks, but AJ will come up to speed very quickly. I have little doubt that AJ could out perform Rocketsports last year.
Old 30 Mar 2004, 01:38 (Ref:923516)   #5
Cowboy
Racer

Canada
Alberta, Canada
Cowboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my personal opinion I think Patrick Carpentier is over due and the most deserving. If for nothing else but for the way he was treated only a very short time ago by Forsythe. I have always enjoyed watching Pat race and also the enthusiasm he genuinely shows when he wins or even if he just makes the top 3.
Old 30 Mar 2004, 01:45 (Ref:923519)   #6
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd say Jourdain but he doesn't even have a good ride or even any ride at all. SO its going to be Mario Dominguez at least he's going to give us a good show.
Old 30 Mar 2004, 11:25 (Ref:923839)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd expect Bourdais to build on his rookie year and take the title. He'd be a good representation of the guys who run in ChampCars these days - the only risk is that a great season could see him jump to F1.
Old 30 Mar 2004, 11:46 (Ref:923867)   #8
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Setting aside the question of who will win the title, I think a second title for Vasser, while unlikely, would be good PR.
Old 30 Mar 2004, 12:20 (Ref:923892)   #9
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Bourdais WILL win it and I like his driving style, he's aggressive and really goes for it - top bloke.

For the series tho I think an American champ would be best for PR - interested to see what this AJ is like...
Old 30 Mar 2004, 12:41 (Ref:923914)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bourdais.
Old 30 Mar 2004, 13:48 (Ref:923974)   #11
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BSchneiderFan
I think a second title for Vasser, while unlikely, would be good PR.
Without getting too technical, would it really be a second title, considering it isn't strictly 'CART' anymore?

From a PR point of view/view to a future for the series it would presumbly be desireable for an American driver to win it.
Old 30 Mar 2004, 17:13 (Ref:924209)   #12
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasnt Vasser the last American to win the title, now wouldn't that be awesome if he returns to beign champion.
Old 30 Mar 2004, 18:58 (Ref:924358)   #13
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
sgw2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
jjspierx,

Even if AJA could match Bourdais, and he is making a bigger step up from Atlantics compared to Sebs F3000, the team also is making a greater jump on much smaller resources and far less top level experience than Paul Gentilozzi's Rocketsports team. Tagliani is also a proven (minor) winner with significant Champ Car experience; a good choice for a brand new team. AJR lacks that.

Too many issues. Matching what RHR did would IMO be a great accomplishment. But I don'rt realistically expect even that.
Old 30 Mar 2004, 19:35 (Ref:924385)   #14
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
Maybe you're right sgw2, but I still believe that AJ will be a top contender this year. Last year, I heard lots of people hailing Allmendinger as the next Toyo Atlantic Champion. Even after seeing him in Barber Dodge Pro the year before, I doubted people that he would be the 2003 Champion. I thought for sure it would Valiente or maybe Hand or Macri. I thought it would take AJ a year to get up to speed in Atlantics. I won't make that mistake and doubt his abilities again. You must understand that for a professional driver learning a new car, even with a lot more HP and more aerodynamics is not THAT big of a step. Its very natural for them. I don't think it will be any harder for AJ to adjust to Champ Cars than Bourdais did from F3000. The main difference is that Bourdais was on a Championship caliber team, and that remains to be seen for AJ. If AJ is not one of the top 4 at the end of this season than I believe it will have been his team that let him down and not his driving ability.

Also, as for your comparison of Ryan Hunter-Reay, I believe AJ has a few distinct advantages over Ryan. First off AJ will driving a Lola vs. Hunter-Reay's Reynard last year. Second, Rusport will be a well funded team, American Spirit had one spare car that JV and RHR had to share. Even if Carl Russo hires another driver to be on the team with AJ I am almost positive that AJ will be the favoured driver by the team. Russo has invested a lot of time and money into AJ, and even Jourdain were to join the team he would play second fiddle to AJ.

Last edited by jjspierx; 30 Mar 2004 at 19:45.
Old 30 Mar 2004, 23:05 (Ref:924570)   #15
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The question is who would be the best champ from a PR point of view, which is a very interesting thing to ponder...

A rookie winning would be bad, because I think it could be taken as a sign that the talent level of competitors has dropped (after all, how many Montoyas do we ever expect to see?)

Vasser gets my vote. He's a pretty nice guy, sorta an average Joe quality about him and he's won races and the championship before. Talent doesn't disappear, he's still the same guy that won the title. I know that the series gets little or no publicity in the mainstream US media, but I think that Jimmy is one guy that can help with that. A season-long battle between Jimmy, Paul, Bruno and Sébastien with Michel, AJ, Justin and Ryan in the mix would definitely have my interest

(As an aside, though, I reckon it'll be between Sébastien and Paul).

Tons of stuff I can't wait to see this year: AJ getting to grips with the series, Ryan in a Lola, Justin Wilson in Champ Car(!), Sébastien with a year of experience, Jimmy (hopefully) back in a decent car. Wahey!

Last edited by Testure; 30 Mar 2004 at 23:05.
Old 31 Mar 2004, 03:22 (Ref:924729)   #16
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Champ from a PR POV? Tags or Vasser.

From ability/team/intangibles: Bourdais. If he learns to go as fast as he has too, rather than as fast as he can, he will win it all.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 3 Apr 2004, 21:49 (Ref:928790)   #17
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The fact that we are so farr from a consensus bodes well for a very exciting season.