Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 30 Nov 2004, 00:16 (Ref:1167565)   #1
TedN
Racer

Canada
Georgetown, ON, Canada
TedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dominguez to Midland F1

Looks like it's confirmed for 2006.

Ted
Old 30 Nov 2004, 00:41 (Ref:1167573)   #2
SPRacer
Racer

United States
St. Petersburg, FL
SPRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Holy Guacamole!!! I really like Mario and hope he will turn out to be more than a backmarker on a new team in F1! Nice that Roberto Moreno hooked him up.
Old 30 Nov 2004, 00:51 (Ref:1167575)   #3
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wow, that seems like a really stupid move for Mario. I have to say that it's also really bad for this series. What do you think is a reasonable prediction on the future success of the Mexican races without Fernandez, Jourdain and Dominguez?! (there's some possibility Jourdain might leave...) Throw in the competition by Nascar, Trucks and F1. Gosh darn autosensor is preventing me from properly pronouncing my feelings on this matter.

Last edited by Snrub; 30 Nov 2004 at 00:52.
Old 30 Nov 2004, 01:07 (Ref:1167580)   #4
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats great news for Mario, but like Snrub sid this will really hurt the appeal of CC in Mexico, before they were the only significant series that ran there with deserving Mexican pilots, now the IRL has Fernandez, Michel may bolt to Busch, and Mario is leaving. unless some of the driver's from Formula Renault can be braught in I see some real problems, also the article speaks of sponsors which poing a problem for other Mexican drivers looking for sponsorship as most of them will choose Formula 1 over CC, or IRL.
Old 30 Nov 2004, 03:12 (Ref:1167616)   #5
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wow who was the last mexican in F1? and Mario what a move!
I certainly hope they bring in some good fresh blood for Champcar..
Of course how good of a move is it to be roiled in the new backmarker team? or is it better to be a backmarker in F1 than a mid or podium runner in champcar?
Old 30 Nov 2004, 04:38 (Ref:1167630)   #6
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why is it a spectacular or good move for Dominguez? We knew they wanted Dominguez because they think he can bring sponsorship. Up against all the manufacturers in F1, Midland does not stand a remote chance. Toyota is spending $400M/year to beat Jordan! No one's going to be cheering for Dominguez to finish 15th. While I think he's a serious championship contender in CC, he's not going to acheive that in time. Driver's reputations are ruined by running in the back of the field if that's all they have to be judged on. Being a new F1 driver with all the pressures and pain of work means it's difficult to excel in a backmarker without experience.
Old 30 Nov 2004, 05:11 (Ref:1167639)   #7
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
This sucks.
Old 30 Nov 2004, 07:32 (Ref:1167713)   #8
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't worry, Midland F1 won't even get off the ground! The guy that runs the Midland company only wants to get his name and business in the spotlight and nothing more.
Old 30 Nov 2004, 10:31 (Ref:1167873)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Does ChampCar need any more evidence that it can't rely on non-US drivers and markets too much? They can fall apart extrememly quickly, and don't tend to be strong irrespective of the drivers present. I'm sorry that a few of you seem unable to be happy for Mario at this opportunity, and can't see that it could at least be a good publicity boost for ChampCars, but you're right that it's bad news for ChampCars.
Old 30 Nov 2004, 10:38 (Ref:1167883)   #10
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dov
Don't worry, Midland F1 won't even get off the ground! The guy that runs the Midland company only wants to get his name and business in the spotlight and nothing more.
The Russian investors behind the project and Dallara (having done some windtunnel work already, apparently) seem to be pretty serious about it though.

I wouldn't be so quick to shoot it down (just yet, anyhow), and it most certainly isn't another "Team USA" effort, I don't think.

Last edited by rustyfan; 30 Nov 2004 at 10:39.
Old 30 Nov 2004, 11:01 (Ref:1167912)   #11
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Midland F1 has the right people involved including Dallara and Trevor Carlin - it is a serious project.

Mario's not absolute top drawer as a driver - but Mexico is something of an untapped market for F1 these days.

Thing is, with Carpentier in IndyCars now, along with Fernandez and possibly Jourdain, the IRL is in a strong position to aquire one of the Canadian races and one of the Mexican races for 2006 - and that would possibly be a big blow to ChampCar's reason for being.
Old 30 Nov 2004, 11:42 (Ref:1167945)   #12
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good for Mario. Last time I checked you only live once. So if you have the opportunity to race F1, which I imagine the majority of young OpenWheelers dream of, I say go for it. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Thing is, with Carpentier in IndyCars now, along with Fernandez and possibly Jourdain, the IRL is in a strong position to aquire one of the Canadian races and one of the Mexican races for 2006 - and that would possibly be a big blow to ChampCar's reason for being.
Having a local racer helps you promote in their respective country but it certainly isn't going to allow you to steal a race away. There are plenty of capable Mexican drivers willing to fill Mario's shoes in Champ Car.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 30 Nov 2004, 11:46 (Ref:1167946)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Let's jsut hope one of them has the right combination of talent and funding then. Otherwise Gerry might have to run another Mexican in the third car out of his pocket, so as to protect ChampCars' standing in Mexico (remember that he owns the TV rights for Mexico, so it's vital that a Mexican driver is competitive).
Old 30 Nov 2004, 15:08 (Ref:1168105)   #14
racinthestreets
Racer

racinthestreets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Forsythe is concerned, Jourdain would be a good choice. I would not get to caught up in the Nationality of the drivers at this point. Sure it brings some fans, but the quality of the series and the drivers is more important in the long run. A series that is contested in each and every race, and the title goes to the final lap of the final race will draw fans world wide IMO. IF this works out for Mario then congratulations to him. My wonder is, where will Keith Wiggins get his sponsorship from?
Old 30 Nov 2004, 15:59 (Ref:1168145)   #15
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
Does ChampCar need any more evidence that it can't rely on non-US drivers and markets too much? They can fall apart extrememly quickly, and don't tend to be strong irrespective of the drivers present. I'm sorry that a few of you seem unable to be happy for Mario at this opportunity, and can't see that it could at least be a good publicity boost for ChampCars, but you're right that it's bad news for ChampCars.
I don't see the difference between Mexican Domginguez and American RHR in the "reliability" respect. Both would be willing to leave if given the chance. F1 is a "dream" because people view it as so special. IMO the reality is very different. Name a F1 driver who actually seems to enjoy himself (MS excluded). I can't help but look what it did to CDM. He definately wasn't happy. JPM always had a temper, but he was generally a happy guy in CC. In F1 he's in a perpetual bad mood. I think Dominguez is doomed to fail to impress and CC's reputation will not be improved.

I have been really impressed with Dominguez this season, he's quiet the driver and he put in performances that deserved wins.
Old 30 Nov 2004, 16:23 (Ref:1168160)   #16
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mario seems to have made real progress over the last few years, but I'm not convinced he's good enough for F1. Still, he only got into ChampCars because he had the funding, and plenty of theoretically-inferior drivers have bought their way into F1 of late. I think it's critical that Jourdain stays in ChampCars, as otherwise the Mexican market could fall aparat as rapidly as the Brazillian one did.
Old 30 Nov 2004, 17:52 (Ref:1168221)   #17
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's a shame Dominguez is leaving, but could this back up the rumours about Jourdain to Wiggins? You never know...
Old 30 Nov 2004, 18:06 (Ref:1168237)   #18
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
I'm sure Wiggins wouldn't be able to run 3 cars though, and I doubt he'd willingly lose either Ryan or Mario for next year. Still, anything can happen in silly season.
Old 1 Dec 2004, 03:26 (Ref:1168561)   #19
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe he'll have a good time for one year (or half a year) and then come back, like Cristiano? And Zanardi? Why not give the boy a chance to try the water and welcome him back when he's run his dream races?

I wish him the best of luck and I don't think it means Champ car is Dead ... only that everything in life changes.
Old 1 Dec 2004, 07:43 (Ref:1168647)   #20
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
Maybe he'll have a good time for one year (or half a year) and then come back, like Cristiano? And Zanardi? Why not give the boy a chance to try the water and welcome him back when he's run his dream races?

I wish him the best of luck and I don't think it means Champ car is Dead ... only that everything in life changes.
Very well said, and I fully agree.
Old 10 Dec 2004, 23:10 (Ref:1176637)   #21
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
just read the article, and nothing is certain, a deal is being discussed perhaps, but thats all, so talking about him definately having a seat is a long way off, especially considering how the team is all on paper so far...

all too far away for me, but yes, would be nice for him, etc etc but let's wait and see what happens.
Old 11 Dec 2004, 22:55 (Ref:1177275)   #22
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is a great move in Dominguez's career. I think no one honestly expected to see him in F1 when in 2002 he got his lucky win at Surfers.
And F1 is still the top, most prestigeous racing series, so it is understandable that people go there.

As for what can it do to Champ Car's future? I don't know.
Old 12 Dec 2004, 00:55 (Ref:1177344)   #23
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No matter what happens, there will always be capable Mexican drivers to keep the Mexican fan base going. If Mario leaves, then it will hurt a bit, but there will be others for the Mexican fans to cheer for.

Ole!