Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 23 Apr 2005, 10:24 (Ref:1284967)   #1
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Banger Racing

how do you set about banger racing? are there regulations, a governing body??
Old 23 Apr 2005, 12:12 (Ref:1285032)   #2
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
check out the BTCC website
Old 23 Apr 2005, 12:32 (Ref:1285046)   #3
silver bullet
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson
check out the BTCC website

Seriously though, there are rules & regs most short ovals have their own rules. The BBA (British Banger Assn) have tried to standadise them and they promote the bigger meetings.
i would suggest going to your nearest track and speaking with someone there, everybody's nomally quite helpful.
Here's a link wich may help the links page has some very useful contacts.
http://bangerphotos.com/index.php
Old 23 Apr 2005, 16:58 (Ref:1285214)   #4
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
Minicross424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Depends where you live.
A good start would be to contact spedeworth www.stockcar.co.uk and talk to them.
There is also a rent a rookie company (very similar to bangers) that could be a good way trying it out before building your own
Old 23 Apr 2005, 18:30 (Ref:1285254)   #5
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Spedeworth are the people to get in contact with...they havce circuits all over the country that you can race at.

Its certainly entertaining, although I don't know if I would be brave enough to take part!
Old 23 Apr 2005, 19:43 (Ref:1285301)   #6
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The O.R.C. (Oval Racing Council) are the governing body. Their members include Spedeworth, RDC (Mildenhall and Dover), PRI (Arena Essex... the hard boys), Incarace (Northampton, Birmingham, Hednesford) and several others. Where ever you live there will be an oval not far away. Most can be found in "short circuit nagazine".
Old 23 Apr 2005, 19:48 (Ref:1285303)   #7
Richy_Rich
Racer

France
France
Richy_Rich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember the rules being very contrary to what I expected, can't remember exactly why... The rollcage, I think, seemed very, well, odd - compared to what the FIA require. But I suppose it's designed for completely different speeds and impacts.
Old 24 Apr 2005, 11:11 (Ref:1285604)   #8
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy_Rich
I remember the rules being very contrary to what I expected, can't remember exactly why... The rollcage, I think, seemed very, well, odd - compared to what the FIA require. But I suppose it's designed for completely different speeds and impacts.
Whats odd about scaffold tubing?
Old 25 Apr 2005, 10:38 (Ref:1286748)   #9
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
strat in rookie bangers not quite as insane as you'd think...
Old 25 Apr 2005, 11:34 (Ref:1286804)   #10
Richy_Rich
Racer

France
France
Richy_Rich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
Whats odd about scaffold tubing?
Well, it's not so much that. More the design, basically just a square with no rear supports or diaganol cross members. Have a look at section 3 here...

http://www.incarace.co.uk/2005%20Tec...%20Bangers.pdf
Old 25 Apr 2005, 12:40 (Ref:1286863)   #11
silver bullet
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bangers are built to crash, the rool hoops are designed to protect the driver, and combined with a door plate and a plate in the floor from the seat to under the pedals no matter how much the car crumples the area where the driver sits remains intact.
If the cage had rear supports a rear impact would push the hoop foreward.
Old 25 Apr 2005, 15:32 (Ref:1287014)   #12
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have seen a very sorry looking banger...in which the driver got trapped as the car had folded in around him...it took a while to get him out and he was quite seriously injured.
Old 25 Apr 2005, 18:46 (Ref:1287219)   #13
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
A mate of mine years ago won the banger championship at our local (Bovingdon) oval two years on the trot and the second year was with every traveller in the area on his case. He won simply by staying out of trouble and superb car control, I had never seen a guy make an Austin Cambridge banger last 4 or five meetings before. Now if only I could have coaxed him into a proper race car as he was a natural and his skills even showed through at this lowly level.

This same guy took a year old Trans Am (Smokey and the Bandit shape) around the track for a match race pursuit cycle style with the owner of the circuit in his Boss Mustang. I sat in with him (must have been nuts) and he whopped him inches from those iron girders all the way around the track, the circuit owner whimped out of paying as he recons my weight added ballast!
Old 25 Apr 2005, 22:13 (Ref:1287393)   #14
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
gixxer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osella
how do you set about banger racing? are there regulations, a governing body??
The mendips raceway have the unlimited bangers thunderbolt on this sunday!

Unlimited means anything goes as long as its big,from limo's to granada's,cortina's,jag's and the odd hearse!

i went here a number of times last year and reckon you've got to be a bit of a nutter to do it,its flippen mad but great to watch and the kids love it.

More info is on the website www.mendipsraceway.com you may have to contact the circuit by phone for Reg's