Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 16 Jul 2020, 07:56 (Ref:3988656)   #6951
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
Do people really not understand the economics of motor racing at all??
For the majority - no.

They see a 'factory' team, and think that means BMW are funding everything and can afford to pay a driver.

It's just a lack of knowledge. Better to educate than criticise?
Old 16 Jul 2020, 08:25 (Ref:3988657)   #6952
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Spotted some comments on Facebook groups that perhaps BMW could put a junior driver in the seat. Do people really not understand the economics of motor racing at all??
From what I have seen, it was a suggestion of a BMW Junior driver who won a championship last year. Someone who could possibly attract sponsorship to pay for the drive.
Old 16 Jul 2020, 11:00 (Ref:3988694)   #6953
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Spotted some comments on Facebook groups that perhaps BMW could put a junior driver in the seat. Do people really not understand the economics of motor racing at all??
That's a perennial with the BTCC facebook fans. They're always on about old drivers taking young drivers seats etc. People explain ad nauseum that if the young drivers had the budget they could get the seats but it never seems to sink in.
Old 16 Jul 2020, 12:45 (Ref:3988712)   #6954
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnoyedMoose View Post
That's a perennial with the BTCC facebook fans. They're always on about old drivers taking young drivers seats etc. People explain ad nauseum that if the young drivers had the budget they could get the seats but it never seems to sink in.
No different to all the moaning on here about people with "money" getting drives over people with "ability".
Old 16 Jul 2020, 14:06 (Ref:3988727)   #6955
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
For some people it's still unusual that such a 'high profile series' doesn't have teams which can pay their drivers. You mention economics of motor racing and you're right, however, many championships still have quite a number of teams that really pay their drivers. It's a pity it doesn't work like that in BTCC because theoretically we could have even more interesting drivers - BMW Juniors included.

Coming back to WSR, I hope something can be worked out for 2021 and we'll have three BMWs again with three decent peddlers behind the wheels.
Old 16 Jul 2020, 15:09 (Ref:3988748)   #6956
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

If BMW could afford to pay for the seat, surely AJ would still be sat in it?
Old 16 Jul 2020, 17:15 (Ref:3988768)   #6957
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
For some people it's still unusual that such a 'high profile series' doesn't have teams which can pay their drivers. You mention economics of motor racing and you're right, however, many championships still have quite a number of teams that really pay their drivers. It's a pity it doesn't work like that in BTCC because theoretically we could have even more interesting drivers - BMW Juniors included.

Coming back to WSR, I hope something can be worked out for 2021 and we'll have three BMWs again with three decent peddlers behind the wheels.
It would be great to see if we could have a field of 12 two car teams who all found sponsorship to pay for the cars and drivers. I am sure this is part of Aan Gows aim to decrease the grid so the demand ifrom sponsors is increased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Precisely my point.
Old 16 Jul 2020, 17:34 (Ref:3988778)   #6958
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
It would be great to see if we could have a field of 12 two car teams who all found sponsorship to pay for the cars and drivers. I am sure this is part of Aan Gows aim to decrease the grid so the demand ifrom sponsors is increased.
At the moment, I think we have one 2-car team that has the sponsorship to pay for cars and drivers.
Old 16 Jul 2020, 17:53 (Ref:3988785)   #6959
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
All we want to see is a reasonable number of BTCC cars racing around a circuit, how each driver/team funds it we have no ability to influence, if they are old gits or young guns i do not care i just want to see racing.
Old 16 Jul 2020, 18:02 (Ref:3988787)   #6960
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Exactly, we’ve had a good mix of young guns and older drivers and middle aged drivers, top class pros and high funded gentlemen. It’s always been a good part of the series
Old 16 Jul 2020, 19:06 (Ref:3988805)   #6961
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Exactly, we’ve had a good mix of young guns and older drivers and middle aged drivers, top class pros and high funded gentlemen. It’s always been a good part of the series
It make the BTCC the fun it is, and while other series have the same finishing order to close to it every race BTCC is full of surprises and nevr fails to entertain, that is why we follow it and i am just waiting for the brand hatch round to see live motorsport again.
Old 16 Jul 2020, 19:43 (Ref:3988809)   #6962
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It would be great to see if we could have a field of 12 two car teams who all found sponsorship to pay for the cars and drivers. I am sure this is part of Aan Gows aim to decrease the grid so the demand ifrom sponsors is increased
Would be lovely. Hopefully it can happen some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
At the moment, I think we have one 2-car team that has the sponsorship to pay for cars and drivers.
Which is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Griffin View Post
Unless there are more gentlemen and amateurs while top class drivers are unable to fund their drives. If it was like NASCAR - really strong, professional, high-level drivers + some small, passionate teams with amateur-ish drivers full of passion and determination, it would be great. But for now it's unfortunately not like that and probably it'll never be like that.
Old 16 Jul 2020, 19:48 (Ref:3988811)   #6963
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Which is?
Team Dynamics.
Every other team (AFAIK) rely on drivers bringing funds.

It's a big leap to get to teams paying the drivers.
Old 16 Jul 2020, 20:05 (Ref:3988816)   #6964
Matt K
Veteran

Quote:
Team Dynamics.
Every other team (AFAIK) rely on drivers bringing funds.

It's a big leap to get to teams paying the drivers.
Okay! Didn't know that to be honest. It's quite surprising even Team BMW doesn't pay their drivers.
Old 16 Jul 2020, 20:22 (Ref:3988819)   #6965
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
I think you can assume BMW could afford to fund a seat! And even put in a proper, pro driver but there’s little in it for them to do that.

Also, anyone who thinks they might fund a BMW Junior - you’re coming at it back to front, the Juniors generally pay handsomely to be ‘supported’ by a manufacturer...
Old 16 Jul 2020, 22:13 (Ref:3988831)   #6966
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Okay! Didn't know that to be honest. It's quite surprising even Team BMW doesn't pay their drivers.
BMW only has one driver bringing funds.
Old 16 Jul 2020, 22:21 (Ref:3988832)   #6967
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
All this talk of BMW Juniors reminds me of 1990 and that famous BMW junior team Prodrive ran alongside their main driver Frank Sytner, with three drivers sharing the other car. If only that could happen now
Old 16 Jul 2020, 22:37 (Ref:3988836)   #6968
MagicBoy
Racer

United Kingdom
MagicBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daverb View Post
Wee nippy is hell bent on damaging Scottish companys as much as possible so I don't suppose Knockhill will be any exception to this.
Really? That's the dumbest thing I read since the last contribution from a certain group c related troll.

It's a public health decision. Which I fully support having lost friends and family to this pandemic.
Old 16 Jul 2020, 22:38 (Ref:3988837)   #6969
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BMW UK is funding WSR, nothing is coming from Germany.
Old 17 Jul 2020, 05:08 (Ref:3988853)   #6970
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
As I understand it, to be entirely accurate:

BMW UK are the title sponsor of WSR's entry, and are one source of funds that the team rely on. In addition, they have backing from Terra clean, AMD, Allianz....

Both drivers also contribute to their drive.

Turkington may have to make less of a contribution than Oliphant, but he still needs his personal sponsorship (Tarmac, Fane Valley, Breezemount, Todd's Leap....) or he wouldn't be on the grid.

Sorry if it comes across as being pedantic, I just feel that if we are considering the possibility of teams paying for the whole entry it should be understood how far away from achievable we currently are.
Old 17 Jul 2020, 05:37 (Ref:3988861)   #6971
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
As I understand it, to be entirely accurate:

BMW UK are the title sponsor of WSR's entry, and are one source of funds that the team rely on. In addition, they have backing from Terra clean, AMD, Allianz....

Both drivers also contribute to their drive.

Turkington may have to make less of a contribution than Oliphant, but he still needs his personal sponsorship (Tarmac, Fane Valley, Breezemount, Todd's Leap....) or he wouldn't be on the grid.

Sorry if it comes across as being pedantic, I just feel that if we are considering the possibility of teams paying for the whole entry it should be understood how far away from achievable we currently are.
Are AMD, Allianz. not tied to BMW so to be pedantic they are part of the BMW package....
Old 17 Jul 2020, 05:38 (Ref:3988862)   #6972
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
BMW only has one driver bringing funds.
Really? So now they only have one entry?
Old 17 Jul 2020, 12:39 (Ref:3988996)   #6973
cameronpoe
Rookie

cameronpoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcameronpoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Really? So now they only have one entry?
I have an interest in the BTCC through my son, I often read this forum, and in truth I really enjoy it , even when its not particularly favourable.

On the BTCC , drivers/sponsorships etc, then it has its own model, and teams will work through various combinations to get guys onto the grid, yes of course the easiest way is through a cheque from the family but that is not a common as you might think from what I can see.

The current champion is a professional racing driver in the truest sense of the word and indeed I would suggest much more of professional than many of the "factory drivers" you see dotted around GT racing.

The BTCC drivers work incredible hard to be on and try to stay on the Grid, its very draining and I think perhaps they should be applauded for the efforts they put in.
Old 17 Jul 2020, 14:15 (Ref:3989022)   #6974
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
I totally agree, the drivers/teams and everyone involved work hard to give us the BTCC that we all watch and enjoy, i try to attend those races i can and watch the rest on ITV4, if people keep knocking it and do not attend/watch it then we will lose it.
If you do not like it watch F1 perhaps that is more to your liking.
Old 17 Jul 2020, 20:09 (Ref:3989111)   #6975
S griffin
Veteran

I would hate to lose the BTCC and I feel very privileged to be able to watch it all live on TV. I would be happy with same day highlights, but this is even better