Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 2 Apr 2010, 17:31 (Ref:2665506)   #1
Zico
Racer

Zico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Slick tyre skimming?

I was talking to a Kiwi friend of mine who was telling me about his buddy who races an old classic of some description..

When he fitted his new slicks he would run them for 20 miles or so until the beads had settled in the rim, remove them, centre them on a lathe and skim them somehow (hot knife?) so that they were perfectly round. I was thinking He may have confused it with tyre buffing, but he seemed quite adamant.

I'd never heard of this before.. Is this a normal required procedure for using slicks?

Last edited by Zico; 2 Apr 2010 at 17:39.
Old 2 Apr 2010, 19:24 (Ref:2665560)   #2
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zico View Post
I was talking to a Kiwi friend of mine who was telling me about his buddy who races an old classic of some description..

When he fitted his new slicks he would run them for 20 miles or so until the beads had settled in the rim, remove them, centre them on a lathe and skim them somehow (hot knife?) so that they were perfectly round. I was thinking He may have confused it with tyre buffing, but he seemed quite adamant.

I'd never heard of this before.. Is this a normal required procedure for using slicks?
Definitely, no....
Old 5 Apr 2010, 16:00 (Ref:2667161)   #3
MaxxUK
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
MaxxUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not normal but I have heard of it being done, probably more commonly known as tyre-shaving. Not only do they do it to ensure a perfectly round tyre but they also have been known to "shave" camber into the tyre where it is not available from the suspension itself.

Maxx
Old 5 Apr 2010, 19:26 (Ref:2667258)   #4
jonners
Racer

jonners should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i believe that something different to tyre shaving is being discussed here.

I've never seen this anywhere other than speed events but it is quite common to see all four wheels off over the lunch break and for slicks to be attached with surforms [spelling??] and soapy water. Nothing very scientific in the technique - the finish looks quite rough once they've all finished.

I use very soft cut slicks for hillclimbing and just can't be bothered with that sort of thing but then again I haven't yet gone as fast on slicks as I did on Yokohamas...

Am told it's absolutely essential - the purpose is to clean off the rubbery marbles and stuff - bear in mind that the slicks are very soft in speed events so look very messed up quite quickly.

Some of the hillclimbers on the hillclimbing forum could probably explain in better detail.
Old 5 Apr 2010, 19:44 (Ref:2667275)   #5
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jonners, I think that cleaning up tyres, as some do in hill climbing, is quite different from shaving brand new slicks to make sure the are 'round' as was the proposition in the first question in this thread.

Buffing/shaving treaded road tyres is also quite different from 'shaving' slicks but is common practice in events where treaded road tyres have to be used in a race series or class.

If shaving tyres to add camber (one post up) takes place, then I admit I have never heard of it being done either.
Old 9 Apr 2010, 02:03 (Ref:2669212)   #6
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
Jonners, I think that cleaning up tyres, as some do in hill climbing, is quite different from shaving brand new slicks to make sure the are 'round' as was the proposition in the first question in this thread.

Buffing/shaving treaded road tyres is also quite different from 'shaving' slicks but is common practice in events where treaded road tyres have to be used in a race series or class.

If shaving tyres to add camber (one post up) takes place, then I admit I have never heard of it being done either.
I remember it being done in the early 90's for our National Production Car Championship where I was crewing. THey were not allowed to use R tyres as a cost saving measure, but it ended costing more as people tried everything and this was one thing (the rules allowed 1mm min tread, but the edges could be worn, so people shaved the inner edge down to nothing ) Tyres then became one use.
They changed the rules the next year
Old 12 Apr 2010, 20:28 (Ref:2671634)   #7
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the best treatment was to have them pre-baked
Old 18 May 2010, 12:01 (Ref:2693251)   #8
RPD Motorsport
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
RPD Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRPD Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...sounds like the kind of practice someone may have done once and gone a bit better and is now absolutely convinced that this helps... In practice it is the number of heat cycles that effects a tyres hardening prosess, and the more cycles the harder they get. So it makes no sence to put them through an unnessacery heat cycle- theres a reason top teams run new rubber (slicks wise) out of the box!
There is also little use making a tyre 'round' when cold as tyres all have spots where the cords are imperfect somehow. So when a tyre heats up and softens you will find it changes shape slightly anyway, in general it is held more round by the centrapetal force. This is how we can have Formula renaults/F3s etc get a punture at the start of a strait and not know until they slow down.
We have done lont of roling road , track and 7-post rig testing on tyre preperation and you are much better keeping them in the dark and getting them perfectly ballanced.
In reality I think your friend is wasting their time, spend yours elsewhere on the car!
Old 6 Aug 2011, 12:01 (Ref:2936421)   #9
kallievan
Rookie

kallievan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tyre skimming

Hi Guys,

Newbie.

I read with interest the different views and expriences on racing tyres. But how about road-going ones?

In South Africa (okay, maybe 'only in Africa!' :-) some years ago (okay, some decades ago) when wheel vibration became an issue on our new super-smooth highways for certain makes (read 'Cortinas' such as I had ) a service was available to restore the roundness of the tyre. Apparently, this worked a treat, CAR magazine reported. This skimming or grinding process lost you some surface but you gained a smooth ride.

Now back to the present. My wife's just bought a very low mileage Mini Cooper the tyres of which the previous owner or someone else on his behalf had seriously flat-spotted, causing a rhythmic rumble you wouldn't believe. I swopped the tyres back/front because evidently that hadn't been done yet in 26000 km, but this made the noise worse - now definitely transferred to the front. I'd imagine about 80% tread life remains. It would be ideal to have them skimmed or ground or rounded, I feel, instead of replacing them.

Any recommendations? Thanks for your time

And congrats on a great forum.

Kallievan
Old 7 Aug 2011, 06:17 (Ref:2936795)   #10
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just fit some new tyres,

if they are old they will be past there best anyway skimmed or not

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!
Old 7 Aug 2011, 11:51 (Ref:2936851)   #11
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jesus! It's hard enough to flat spot a racing tyre at anything less than 80mph, let alone a road tyre at road speeds. Is it even possible? I once locked up at 120mph and got a tiny tiny flat spot (far less energy than in F1), but it was gone about 100 yards later.
Old 7 Aug 2011, 16:42 (Ref:2936911)   #12
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Its easy to flat spot a road tyre at least on my heavy cars in fact I have to be careful not to and part the reason I would imagine is simply they dont grip as well as a slick so lock upinstead of slowing you down. I have enough expensive flat spotted Dunlop Formula R's to prove the point! Mind you I have some serious brakes on the thing!
Old 12 Aug 2011, 03:17 (Ref:2938777)   #13
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On a road car I would have thought ou of round is more likely from storage than flat spotting

Anyway yet you can buff a tyre to remove the flat spot

And I am with Al, sedands on R tyres, flat spots are not that uncommon at all
Old 15 Aug 2011, 21:23 (Ref:2941533)   #14
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Shaving slicks between races is pretty common in Cadet karting. Dads are there with hot air guns and paint strippers, chiselling off. Not done in TKM so I don't know why the Cadet racers do it.
Old 15 Aug 2011, 22:30 (Ref:2941560)   #15
Steve Fox
Racer

United Kingdom
S.W.London
Steve Fox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallievan View Post
Hi Guys,

Newbie.

I read with interest the different views and expriences on racing tyres. But how about road-going ones?

In South Africa (okay, maybe 'only in Africa!' :-) some years ago (okay, some decades ago) when wheel vibration became an issue on our new super-smooth highways for certain makes (read 'Cortinas' such as I had ) a service was available to restore the roundness of the tyre. Apparently, this worked a treat, CAR magazine reported. This skimming or grinding process lost you some surface but you gained a smooth ride.

Now back to the present. My wife's just bought a very low mileage Mini Cooper the tyres of which the previous owner or someone else on his behalf had seriously flat-spotted, causing a rhythmic rumble you wouldn't believe. I swopped the tyres back/front because evidently that hadn't been done yet in 26000 km, but this made the noise worse - now definitely transferred to the front. I'd imagine about 80% tread life remains. It would be ideal to have them skimmed or ground or rounded, I feel, instead of replacing them.

Any recommendations? Thanks for your time

And congrats on a great forum.

Kallievan
Put 'em on the front, switch the traction control off and give it some doughnuts, they will be round in a jiffy