Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Jun 2004, 21:34 (Ref:1010091)   #1
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
here's a pic .. sssssssoooooooo close ..
Attached Thumbnails
restart.jpg  

Ciao Marco
Old 20 Jun 2004, 21:36 (Ref:1010096)   #2
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think even the great Michael S could have timed that deliberately, anyone else would have had a penalty!

Old 20 Jun 2004, 21:40 (Ref:1010103)   #3
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
he got it the second try .. after 2002

Ciao Marco
Old 20 Jun 2004, 22:11 (Ref:1010162)   #4
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think he plain forgot the no over taking before the line rule and simply got bloody lucky. Even the 'great' Schu can't judge it to that degree.
Old 20 Jun 2004, 22:12 (Ref:1010164)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think he knew the rule. You have to keep you foot in, you can't feather it just in case because then you won't get the pass in.
Old 20 Jun 2004, 22:15 (Ref:1010169)   #6
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
took the risk . and he won ..

Ciao Marco
Old 20 Jun 2004, 22:22 (Ref:1010181)   #7
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bit of a big risk if you ask me. A drive through penalty really hurts at Indy. To suggest that Schu weighed up the positives and negatives then darted out of Rubens slipstream knowing he'd still be second by 0.01 secs seems a little blinkered to me.
Old 20 Jun 2004, 22:27 (Ref:1010190)   #8
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
no .. it was a lot to luck ..

Ciao Marco
Old 20 Jun 2004, 22:37 (Ref:1010201)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
Bit of a big risk if you ask me. A drive through penalty really hurts at Indy. To suggest that Schu weighed up the positives and negatives then darted out of Rubens slipstream knowing he'd still be second by 0.01 secs seems a little blinkered to me.
Nah that small a gap never occured to him. It was probably closer than he thought it would be, but he had to go for it. Win or bust, the racer in him. Also for Michael in his position he had less to lose.

The only hope you have to get by on a restart is go for it from the last corner, to try and get the jump on the guy ahead. If you do get the jump then you have to stick with it. If you lift it is all over and you'd never get past.

Of course the other guy chose lift and sucker you into a penalty I suppose, but then he risks being overtaken by third or causing an accident. And you aren't going to sucker your team mate to get him a drive through (certainly not at Ferrari anyway).
Old 20 Jun 2004, 22:39 (Ref:1010203)   #10
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
(certainly not at Ferrari anyway).
I'm glad you added that bit.
Old 21 Jun 2004, 03:11 (Ref:1010305)   #11
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Didn't Eddie make a good restart once at Australia GP in Ferrari? Where he knew the rules, pulled himself almost beside the race leader...and floor it only past the start line...well judged~

MS judged it beautifully coming out of the final corner. Indy is a place where i think the leader has a tough time to defend after a race restart because of the long straight which lends itself to slipstreaming. The point where they cross the line is so close that only the timing beam could have shown who's ahead and whether rules are broken.

It's close, and luck kinda played into MS's hands there. All RB needed to do is to lift~ But i guess MS had no choice than to go flat out...slowing down would only mean third place Alonso may get the jump.
Old 21 Jun 2004, 03:48 (Ref:1010313)   #12
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Close, yes... And that is why that is a seven (ooops, did I say that?) time world champion.
Old 21 Jun 2004, 04:26 (Ref:1010325)   #13
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Question: the rule in F1 is at the line not when the green comes out? correct?

can someone confirm that for me
Old 21 Jun 2004, 07:52 (Ref:1010402)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Yes it is, at the line.

Additionally I am pretty sure that the first green will be shown at the line, although they know it'll be their due to the SC lights.
Old 21 Jun 2004, 08:00 (Ref:1010409)   #15
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, the green flag shows and it meant the race is started, but cars are not allowed to overtake UNTIL they past the start/finish straight.

RB almost held the cars up until they all stopped Perhaps they could draw a new grid at the final corner next year...in any case, one of the better rolling starts for MS.
Old 21 Jun 2004, 08:20 (Ref:1010425)   #16
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He took the punt on making a move on Rubens & it paid off but he wouldn't have wanted to make his move any earlier.
Old 21 Jun 2004, 08:26 (Ref:1010429)   #17
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And when they passed the line, it said on the screen: "Lap 5 - 1. M.Schumacher".

So did he pass before or after the start/finish line?
Old 21 Jun 2004, 09:09 (Ref:1010479)   #18
fog_shadow
Racer

fog_shadow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
after
Old 21 Jun 2004, 09:22 (Ref:1010490)   #19
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for clearing that up, the graphics showing TGF as the leader put me in doubt for a bit.
Old 21 Jun 2004, 10:04 (Ref:1010528)   #20
fog_shadow
Racer

fog_shadow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
optical illusion
Old 21 Jun 2004, 10:11 (Ref:1010531)   #21
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pays a big tribute to Rubens that he tried it and got lucky and ended up winning.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 21 Jun 2004, 10:34 (Ref:1010543)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally posted by R
And when they passed the line, it said on the screen: "Lap 5 - 1. M.Schumacher".

So did he pass before or after the start/finish line?
Martin Brundle commented that it still said RB in P1 on the timing screen after the crossed the line - so Rubens was ahead a the end of the last SC lap.

That was also the case on my FIA screen IIRC.
Old 21 Jun 2004, 12:05 (Ref:1010626)   #23
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The comments from Rubens after the race about that moment were interesting. Apparently he hadn't been keeping his tyres warm to the same extent that Michael had. So when the safety car came in and the pressures were a little lower in his tyres, his car was bottomming out on the straight. Michael made it look ridiculously easy, he pretty much breezed past him. In fact, Martin Brundle was wondering if he didn't have a button on the steering wheel to run the engine on the limiter for a few seconds to give a few extra HP...
Old 21 Jun 2004, 12:38 (Ref:1010674)   #24
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
don't think Ferrari has that kind of buttons ... those engines don;t need them .. they can run full time at max rev

Ciao Marco
Old 21 Jun 2004, 13:41 (Ref:1010746)   #25
Gt_R
Veteran

I think even MS is a little caught out by the slow speed of Rubens..

MS floored it and i think he anticipated using RB's slipstream down the straights to overtake, not a sudden jinx alongside RB and overrun him.

RB blames the safety car for the late notice of the race restart... but i think Indy, more than Interlagos, are the type of track where a restart is very tricky for the race leader.