Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 10 Oct 2011, 12:38 (Ref:2968666)   #201
gucom
Racer

gucom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the risk of taking this discussion even further off topic, I think Jenson Button would be an amazing sportscar driver, he's known for being able to preserve tires and generally be very smooth and kind to the car, and yet he's clearly fast enough to be F1 world champion material. It's gonna be a while before he quits F1 though, given the way he's been doing recently.
Old 10 Oct 2011, 12:49 (Ref:2968676)   #202
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Second that. Given a couple of bits of better luck this year, and Seb may not be suffering a hangover just yet...

Just think what Honda might have achieved if the job had been done better 5 or 6 years back? Ah, what might have been.

So, is he testing a Toyota, now???

I return you to your topic.
Old 10 Oct 2011, 12:50 (Ref:2968679)   #203
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by gucom View Post
At the risk of taking this discussion even further off topic, I think Jenson Button would be an amazing sportscar driver, he's known for being able to preserve tires and generally be very smooth and kind to the car, and yet he's clearly fast enough to be F1 world champion material. It's gonna be a while before he quits F1 though, given the way he's been doing recently.
I completely agree about JB he would be perfect. It is interesting to see how F1 drivers fare after they call time on their careers. Like you say he has years left in him but I'm not sure he would necessarily have the urge to compete outside of that world. I'd love to be proven wrong because he would be a huge asset to sportscars.
Old 10 Oct 2011, 12:54 (Ref:2968684)   #204
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
NelisB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
I completely agree about JB he would be perfect. It is interesting to see how F1 drivers fare after they call time on their careers. Like you say he has years left in him but I'm not sure he would necessarily have the urge to compete outside of that world. I'd love to be proven wrong because he would be a huge asset to sportscars.
The time that F1 drivers would've been interested in sportscars are over I think. When they finish their careers they just stop racing, unless they are young enough like wurz, fisichela and davidson.
Old 10 Oct 2011, 13:45 (Ref:2968708)   #205
vyselegend
Racer

France
Paris, France
vyselegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelisB View Post
The time that F1 drivers would've been interested in sportscars are over I think. When they finish their careers they just stop racing, unless they are young enough like wurz, fisichela and davidson.
Well, Peugeot has started a trend of importing the talents F1 didn't exploit, with a rather good rate of success. Villeneuve & Zonta hirings were failures, and Klien would have needed more experience and personal comitment, but Montagny & Davidson are an incredible assets to the team performance.
Wurz is another case, as he's a (still young) retiree, but he's very solid too.

I think this trend is going to generalise itself with the arrival of new manufacturers in LMP1, combined to the "global consciousness" of Le Mans racing resurgence. Professional drivers (and more to the point, their managers) won't have the same opinion of Endurance racing in a few years, and I can bet comming 2014 being a top Porsche LMP1 driver will be unanimely recognised as a better driving seat than a Virgin F1 seat (or HRT or whatever Colgate / Woolite / Pampers F1 team replaces it in 2014). Appart maybe at autosport.com lol ...

Anyway Toyota shouldn' have too much difficulty in draging world class drivers to their team, with their deep pockets. And if they sound commited enough (which I don't doubt)
Old 10 Oct 2011, 13:58 (Ref:2968716)   #206
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think the average career of F1 drivers is pretty short so there will always be plenty around. The new 'World Championship' status could make the WEC the second most prestigious title to hold after F1.
Old 10 Oct 2011, 14:01 (Ref:2968717)   #207
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Love to see Barrichello in that Toyota .

Question is : Would Toyota be willing to put a lot of their faith in ex-F1 drivers . They should be quick but , not proven in sportscars , not brilliant team players and not a hell of a lot of experiance with traffic either ?
Old 10 Oct 2011, 14:03 (Ref:2968720)   #208
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why not consider Pedro Lamy, he will add experience to the team, and bring some of the Peugeot secrets
Old 10 Oct 2011, 14:19 (Ref:2968728)   #209
Matador
Racer

Matador should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Driver guesses and we haven't even seen the car? lol I like.... How about

Lotterer, Iida, Glock

Wakisaka, Couto, Nakajima
Old 10 Oct 2011, 14:35 (Ref:2968731)   #210
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post
Driver guesses and we haven't even seen the car? lol I like.... How about

Lotterer, Iida, Glock

Wakisaka, Couto, Nakajima
With the lack of a car what else can we speculate on?
Old 10 Oct 2011, 14:48 (Ref:2968736)   #211
porman
Veteran

porman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Im glad he doesnt like it . Id rather not see a premadonna like him there , slamming Le Mans . He made his name there ..... forgot about that did he .

I reckon all the drivers who love the place , far outweigh what that spoiled arrogant little brat has to say about it .

I completely agree with you. Le Mans does not need him and his race-craft is even more questionable than it was before. There are too many cars on track for someone as dangerous as him with an ego to boot.

I also agree with others here about Button. He has speed and a brain. While he may not ultimately be the fastest, I can see his driving style lending itself well to a longer race.
Old 10 Oct 2011, 15:27 (Ref:2968749)   #212
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Regarding M.Schumacher: He's to loyal to Ferrari and Mercedes. In fact, he only went to Mercedes in 2010 just because he wanted to thank them for bringing him into this sport. But he just competed at Le Mans once, so he may want to try Le Mans once again. He isn't too old, just going towards 43. But I don't think that Schumacher would bother with GT racing. The record holder of F1 should compete for overall glories, so Schumacher can only race at LMP1. But since Mercedes is highly unlikely to return to Le Mans, Schumacher may only race with Ferrari, when they decide to build a LMP1 car. But Toyota? Are you serious?

Regarding the topic: There are many drivers with lots of open-wheel experience that could be available to Toyota. I think Toyota might go with these drivers:

Japanese Team
Kazuki Nakajima
Yuhi Sekiguchi
Hiroaki Ishiura

I admit that I haven't much knowledge about the Japanese motorsport scene. So I just took Nakajima (He's Toyota's favorite son anyway), a former F1 driver and best place Japanese driver in Formula Nippon, Sekiguchi, the 2011 All-Japan Formula 3 Champion and Ishiura, an experienced driver from Super GT. Well there might be a lot of alternatives there. Ara for example. But I think he's more linked to Team Goh and/or Nissan.

German Team
Timo Glock
Nico Hülkenberg/Lucas Luhr
André Lotterer

This may be just wishful thinking by me, but since Toyota runs its European motorsport operations from Germany, why not? Glock and Lotterer have already driven for Toyota, Hülkenberg is a talented driver, but his F1 career is in peril. On the other, Lucas Luhr might also be a good (If not better) choice, and he hasn't a contract with a factory. On the other hand, he raced a Nissan at FIA GT1. But this should still be a quick trio, with some genuine marketing for the German focus group.

International Team
Alexandre Premat
Kimi Raikkonen
Andre Couto

To be honest, I've just thrown around some international names. One with experiences in Le Mans, one former F1 world champion, and one international driver with links to Toyota. There might be a ton of possibilities.

But generelly, someone who adds more exciting to the battle between Audi and Peugeot is more than welcome. But I wait for an official confirmation by Toyota.
Old 10 Oct 2011, 15:30 (Ref:2968750)   #213
colt513
Rookie

colt513 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In terms of F1 drivers who I would like to see at Le Mans with toyota.

Kamui Kobayashi
Old 10 Oct 2011, 15:48 (Ref:2968757)   #214
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Glock makes a lot of sense. I don't think he parted on bad terms with Toyota, and a factory sportscar drive must be more attractive than racing for 18th in F1.

Kobayashi may be too much of a sprint racer for sportscars, and I don't see him leaving F1 in the foreseeable future.
Old 10 Oct 2011, 15:57 (Ref:2968759)   #215
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if like the gt-one program and the f1 program, this new project will be based in germany, just forget about to see a lot of japanese guys in paddock and line-ups... remembering that we're talking about the nothingness because nothing is still confirmed i think that toyota will follow the peugeot way: expert and retired f1 drivers backuped by a team of testers and young factory drivers.

So i see:

lineup #1 (ex.f1 drivers)
-klien
-yomamoto
-heidfeld

lineup #2 (a sort of junior team, most of them from formula nippon)
- Kazuya Oshima
- Andrea Caldarelli
- Yuji Kunimoto

lineup #3 (trusted and long term toyota drivers who can help in the developing usually super GT drivers and usefull to le mans, a sort of LM #2 audi lineup)
- daisuke ito
- Juichi Wakisaka
- Hiroaki Ishiura
Old 10 Oct 2011, 18:23 (Ref:2968807)   #216
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
It will be interesting to see what happens to Lotterer as I would be very surprised if Audi are not trying to tie up his long term future.
Old 10 Oct 2011, 18:33 (Ref:2968812)   #217
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
and a factory sportscar drive must be more attractive than racing for 18th in F1.
I'm not so sure to be honest.
Old 10 Oct 2011, 18:43 (Ref:2968815)   #218
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Neither am I, especially with young drivers. When a driver gets out of F1 he is usually out for good.
Old 10 Oct 2011, 18:53 (Ref:2968821)   #219
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Neither am I, especially with young drivers. When a driver gets out of F1 he is usually out for good.
Glock will be 30 next year...certainly not too young to start thinking about life after F1.
Old 10 Oct 2011, 20:03 (Ref:2968856)   #220
vlad1977
Rookie

Romania
Oradea, Romania
vlad1977 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
With the lack of a car what else can we speculate on?
ENGINE
What do you think, diesel or petrol?
I am pretty sure they will have some sort of hybrid sistem.
Old 10 Oct 2011, 20:20 (Ref:2968868)   #221
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad1977 View Post
ENGINE
What do you think, diesel or petrol?
I am pretty sure they will have some sort of hybrid sistem.
I think they will go with petrol. All of their cars that have hybrid systems have them coupled to petrol engines. I would find it strange if they come out with a Diesel. I do agree that they will most likely be entering a car with a hybrid system on one of it's cars.

[edit]Forgot about Lexus. They offer the CT200H with a diesel+hybrid[/edit]
Old 10 Oct 2011, 20:54 (Ref:2968884)   #222
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think they will go with petrol. All of their cars that have hybrid systems have them coupled to petrol engines. I would find it strange if they come out with a Diesel. I do agree that they will most likely be entering a car with a hybrid system on one of it's cars.

[edit]Forgot about Lexus. They offer the CT200H with a diesel+hybrid[/edit]
I would not be surprised if they go with a small turbo 4 with a hybrid. Maybe a return of something like they ran in IMSA. A package like that without the hybrid did win the Daytona 24 Hours back in the day.

On the driver front, whatever happened to Giorgio Pantano?
Old 10 Oct 2011, 21:12 (Ref:2968894)   #223
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Coupe or Open top? I hope its a coupe. Colors? Definitely RED and WHITE, sponsors? Panasonic, Denso...
Old 10 Oct 2011, 21:36 (Ref:2968909)   #224
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Coupe or Open top? I hope its a coupe.
I can't believe open top is even an option for a serious* big money** effort.

* **AMR-One doesn't count obviously
Old 10 Oct 2011, 21:38 (Ref:2968912)   #225
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
This regulation must be revised for Toyota.
The answer is petrol and hybrid!
http://www.lemans.org/en/races/inter...ions_5410.html