Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Oct 2002, 17:04 (Ref:415629)   #26
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Can anyone be bothered to re-calculate the 2002 season under the new points system? Would be interesting to see if we think it would have altered the feeling for the fans.

And, yes, I know that the feeling for the fans is as much to do with team orders as anything - but I'm interested in this points idea. I think it makes lots of difference to the teams (more rewards at the end of the season) but not much to the average fan.
Old 28 Oct 2002, 17:11 (Ref:415634)   #27
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nicked this off the Planet-F1 board:
Quote:
I just did a quick check using the new points system and here is how everything would have finished this year.

MS - 156
RB - 93
JPM - 74
RS - 63
DC - 63
KR - 36
JB - 31
NH - 22
GF - 20
JT - 19
EI - 16
FM - 15
JV - 14
MSalo - 10
OP - 8
HHF - 6
TS - 5
MW - 5
AM - 3
AY - 2
PdlR - 2
EB - 0

Instead of Michael winning the championship by 67pts it would have only been 63. The top 7 places don't change order, but the rest of the list does when compared to the final results.
Old 28 Oct 2002, 17:13 (Ref:415635)   #28
ParkLife
Racer

ParkLife should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The new points sytem gives the teams a real reason to keep running with a sick car, rather than just parking it in the garage. And of course I don't mean a car that's so sick it's 20 seconds a lap slower. I don't like it though. They should keep the structure of the sport the same but changed the cars and tracks IMO.
Old 28 Oct 2002, 17:16 (Ref:415641)   #29
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I just did a quick check using the new points system and here is how everything would have finished this year.

MS - 156
RB - 93
JPM - 74
RS - 63
DC - 63
KR - 36
JB - 31
NH - 22
GF - 20
JT - 19
EI - 16
FM - 15
JV - 14
MSalo - 10
OP - 8
HHF - 6
TS - 5
MW - 5
AM - 3
AY - 2
PdlR - 2
EB - 0

Instead of Michael winning the championship by 67pts it would have only been 63. The top 7 places don't change order, but the rest of the list does when compared to the final results.

--

I don't like that - Alex Yoong has two points!!!
Might mean teams focus a little more on reliability.
Old 28 Oct 2002, 17:31 (Ref:415653)   #30
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
at least its narrowed the winning margin down...
Old 28 Oct 2002, 17:49 (Ref:415671)   #31
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We are losing teams so they decide to increase the number of positions that score points...
Old 28 Oct 2002, 17:58 (Ref:415681)   #32
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
F1 next year sounds so exciting. So much better than this year

And they are removing Spa and the best corner at Suzuka. Bring on the changes. They are really improving our Sport. aaaaarrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!

and they appear to not even want to discuss the the current levels of downforce and the problems of closely follwing the car in front or even possibly banning driver aids.

However they have changed the most exciting part of the race weekend -Qualifying!

Well done Max etc...
Old 28 Oct 2002, 18:02 (Ref:415690)   #33
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
An asinine set of decisions. I'm with Craig, a long term set of serious revisions needed to have been made.

All in alll, despite the General Clamour for change, they've side-stepped the issue.

Its like giving an Antacid to a man whose just had an arm ripped off.
Old 28 Oct 2002, 18:06 (Ref:415694)   #34
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally posted by EERO
All in all, despite the General Clamour for change, they've side-stepped the issue.
Spot on.
Old 28 Oct 2002, 18:27 (Ref:415715)   #35
bastinscully
Racer

England
Oxford
bastinscully should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is the One Engine per weekend rule coming in?
Old 28 Oct 2002, 18:44 (Ref:415729)   #36
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think the points idea is a great result !.....

i just wished they had addressed the areo rules !
Old 28 Oct 2002, 18:59 (Ref:415738)   #37
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The points idea is OK....but it's all a bit half-hearted really. They needed to get much more radical this time.

It's like the time they decided to add an extra groove to the tyres, thinking that it would make a lot of difference....yeah right!
Old 28 Oct 2002, 19:07 (Ref:415746)   #38
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i agree....they do seem to live in Cuckoo land sometimes .
Old 28 Oct 2002, 19:11 (Ref:415751)   #39
DSM
Veteran

DSM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The points idea is pointless! If they want to get more cash to the lower teams give them it for starting or finishing or anything. All they've done is made it less important to actually win!
Bikes for me on Sunday next year!!
Old 28 Oct 2002, 19:14 (Ref:415755)   #40
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not sure what to think - I like the ideas for qualifying, but as for the rest, utter rubbish, personal I would have like to see wight being added to the cars - at the of the day it works in the BTCC and give some fantastic racing.
Old 28 Oct 2002, 19:15 (Ref:415756)   #41
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Won't make one damn bit of difference, except that now there'll be little point in watching qualifying for anyone.

Guess what? I'm not watching F1 again until they make some drastic changes to the technical package, bring back Spa, and inject some balls into the rest of the schedule.
Old 28 Oct 2002, 19:20 (Ref:415759)   #42
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The change to the points system was an OK idea I thought. Even though it may be great at the time when backmarkers like Webber and Sato (well, he was a backmarker this season until Suzuka) finish in the points, I can't really agree with a points system that rewards a one off effort. If Webber had broken down in Melboune, Yoong would have finished in the points instead!!
Old 28 Oct 2002, 19:23 (Ref:415764)   #43
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The whole concept of grooved tyres didn't work, cause in the first qualifying of the first 1998 season race, the poletime wasn't much slower than in 1997...
Extra groove? When was that then?
Old 28 Oct 2002, 19:26 (Ref:415767)   #44
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
There will also be qualifying sessions on Friday and Saturday, instead of just one on Saturday. Qualifying will involve one ``flying lap'' for each car, with cars running one at a time.

Friday's times will determine the order for Saturday's session, with the fastest car going last. The starting grid for Sunday's races will be based on Saturday's times.

This certainly will yield some interesting results in situations where there is mixed weather. What happens when the first half of the field has nice weather, and then it starts raining... or the other way around.
Old 28 Oct 2002, 19:39 (Ref:415777)   #45
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I say the order of qualifying should be dictated by playing spin the bottle.
Old 28 Oct 2002, 19:51 (Ref:415783)   #46
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Qualifying
I hate to say I told you so, but....
I've been begging for Superpole for years, have had a letter published in F1 Racing over 12 months ago, and I'm over the moon that they've eventually gone to it - it'll completely spice up the rest of the weekend

Well, this has been my 2nd pet hate, top 10 would be nicer, but beggers can't be choosers...

Spa
No comment - at least nothing not obscene.

Team Orders
the FIA love Grey areas don't they? Does this mean that the age-old "Hold Position" will be outlawed, or just the "It's not your turn to win, move over."?

Tyres
A lot of money, but fairer, so it can only be good - at least for the minute. I assume the tyre companies will foot the bill? if so, it's even better

I'm going to add - how long ago was it the points were closer (9 not 10), when we had 2 day qualifying.... Are we going back in time to the good old days?
Old 28 Oct 2002, 20:07 (Ref:415801)   #47
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
the points system has got to help.....it gives the drivers more to aim at ........

but the FIA have missed a golden chance to really shake up the rules that matter....
Old 28 Oct 2002, 20:16 (Ref:415812)   #48
alchemy
Racer

Ireland
Tranquillity Base
alchemy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Please forgive me if I’m missing something here. But what effect will any of these so called ‘radical’ rule changes have as regards to producing better racing i.e overtaking?

Its yet another wasted chance. The fact that Ferrari dominated in 2002 wasn’t just the issue, it was the way their two drivers monkey’d around that peed us off. This along with the processional proceedings behind just topped it off.

What is there in the rules to stop Ferrari from taking the again in 2003? How the do you police something such as team orders?

Last edited by R; 28 Oct 2002 at 20:32.
Old 28 Oct 2002, 20:25 (Ref:415820)   #49
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Sato san
the points system has got to help.....it gives the drivers more to aim at ........
Not if you're in second. Only 2 extra points now.

I'm for the points change, but it seems almost pointless (sorry ) now that we have so few teams.
Quote:
Sato san
but the FIA have missed a golden chance to really shake up the rules that matter....
True. There was a slight problem in that technical rules take longer to change (and it's too late for next year), whereas sporting regs can be changed.

BUT this meeting should have been about rule changes that would actually change something even if it were for 2004.

Wasted opportunity.

Last edited by Adam43; 28 Oct 2002 at 20:27.
Old 28 Oct 2002, 20:26 (Ref:415821)   #50
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mid Beds, "The UK's rubbish dump"
spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is an other point that people seem to have missed. I read on Crash.net that there could be a ban on testing. If they will limit themselves to 10 days a year then they are allowed to test on the friday of the race weekend.

hmm.. cant see any team agreeing to this