Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 10 Jun 2010, 14:48 (Ref:2708309)   #1
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GT1 to be dropped from ACO racing

For next year, GT1's will go, and replaced with two new classes basied off the current GT2 regs.

Shame, I was warming up to the GT1 WC, and now ponder what will happen to it -I guess the SRO and ACO will go their own ways on GT racing-, but seeing as a large majority of fans prefer GT2, its for the best.
Old 10 Jun 2010, 15:01 (Ref:2708313)   #2
Gil Abobeleira
Veteran

Gil Abobeleira should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Rat (and Nissan!) won't be happy...
Old 10 Jun 2010, 15:04 (Ref:2708316)   #3
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
But I am!
Old 10 Jun 2010, 15:08 (Ref:2708320)   #4
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Abobeleira View Post
The Rat (and Nissan!) won't be happy...
Nissan was already screwed by SRO because they are the only ones that build a proper GT1. Ford just transformed the GT3 car and the others (Lambo, Maserati, Aston Martin) just used their old GT1 car.

The reasoning of ACO is completely valid: GT1 (like GT3) are sprint cars.
Old 10 Jun 2010, 15:10 (Ref:2708323)   #5
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In practise you could adapt the GTR's and Ford GT's, but as for the SV-R and MC12 maybe not.

So much for that B6 GT1.

What about GT3 then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
The reasoning of ACO is completely valid: GT1 (like GT3) are sprint cars.

Makes sense, at Le Mans yesterday most of the GT1's seemed to be going off.
Old 10 Jun 2010, 15:15 (Ref:2708327)   #6
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nissan should be going head to head with Porsche, Ferrari, BMW etc. in ACO racing with a GT-R V6 Turbo.

It would be great to see a turbo in GT2 also, hopefully Mclaren wouldn't be far behind with the MP4.

Then again maybe Nissan will be attacking GT2 with the 370Z seeing as the Nissan 'Z' is sponsoring RLM.

Last edited by JAG; 10 Jun 2010 at 15:26.
Old 10 Jun 2010, 15:17 (Ref:2708330)   #7
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Nissan should be going head to head with Porsche, Ferrari, BMW etc. in ACO racing with a GT-R V6 Turbo.

It would be great to see a turbo in GT2 also, hopefully Mclaren wouldn't be far behind with the MP4.
They could have the recently made Sumo Power GT team running the cars. They have been one of the teams to beat in the World Championship, and are based in the UK.
Old 10 Jun 2010, 15:28 (Ref:2708346)   #8
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That should make my sentiments clear on the removal of the Rats bas tardized GT-1s, in endurance racing!!!!!

L.P.
Old 10 Jun 2010, 15:30 (Ref:2708348)   #9
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Not surprised by this- I reckon their presence at Le Mans and in the LMS this year was only to give the ACO a chance to get a first-hand look at Ratel's new-style GT1

Something interesting in DSC''s reporting of this- they've included a report of some of the questions from the floor during the press conference. One of the questions asked was that as some of the GT1 manufacturers will be disappointed in not being able to race at Le Mans, will the Nissan or Ford be able to be adapted to GT2 regulations?
The reply: “We have been discussing with Ford and Nissan – something is quite possible but there is work to be done.”

Bearing in mind that the difference in laptimes between new-style FIA GT1 cars and ACO GT2s isn't that massive, could they be looking at a way of fitting 'proper' new GT1s (Ford, Nissan) into GT2?

Looking at GT1, I can't imagine Aston or Chevrolet are too disappointed as manufacturers (individual teams might think differently) about not being seeing their GT1s at LM next year as they've both got an existing GT2 alternative, but Nissan and Ford/Matech might well be.

For that reason I wouldn't see any future in trying to grandfather the Aston, Vette or Maserati into GT2 (they've all been around a long time, and GT2 alternatives are available for the DBR9 and C6R), but modifying the Skyline and Ford to fit GT2 regs might be a different story...
Old 10 Jun 2010, 15:32 (Ref:2708352)   #10
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I am happy about the gt1 getting evicted, even more happy about the 2011 championship

Sebring Le Mans Spa Pettit, etc.... its gonna be awesome., World sports car championship is back baby
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 10 Jun 2010, 15:32 (Ref:2708353)   #11
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What? Mustangs in GT-2.

L.P.
Old 10 Jun 2010, 15:36 (Ref:2708357)   #12
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
Not surprised by this- I reckon their presence at Le Mans and in the LMS this year was only to give the ACO a chance to get a first-hand look at Ratel's new-style GT1

Something interesting in DSC''s reporting of this- they've included a report of some of the questions from the floor during the press conference. One of the questions asked was that as some of the GT1 manufacturers will be disappointed in not being able to race at Le Mans, will the Nissan or Ford be able to be adapted to GT2 regulations?
The reply: “We have been discussing with Ford and Nissan – something is quite possible but there is work to be done.”

Bearing in mind that the difference in laptimes between new-style FIA GT1 cars and ACO GT2s isn't that massive, could they be looking at a way of fitting 'proper' new GT1s (Ford, Nissan) into GT2?

Looking at GT1, I can't imagine Aston or Chevrolet are too disappointed as manufacturers (individual teams might think differently) about not being seeing their GT1s at LM next year as they've both got an existing GT2 alternative, but Nissan and Ford/Matech might well be.

For that reason I wouldn't see any future in trying to grandfather the Aston, Vette or Maserati into GT2 (they've all been around a long time, and GT2 alternatives are available for the DBR9 and C6R), but modifying the Skyline and Ford to fit GT2 regs might be a different story...
That's interesting, becuase it would seem to be a large waste of money and a terrible shame to see the new GT1's (GT, GTR, SVR) to rot away, so this shows there is hope for them.

As for the other 4, I think the time has passed for them.

Or what you could do with these four is to maybe have a classics championship for them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
What? Mustangs in GT-2.

L.P.

If a GT3 B6, can be turned into a GT1, then I can see the Marc Mustang GT3, be turned into a GT2.
Old 10 Jun 2010, 15:39 (Ref:2708358)   #13
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
They at least need to get rid of the carbon brake discs and change the front splitter and rear wing.

The big problem is that in theory the engine must be based on the road car engine. That is not the case for the Nissan. I am not sure about the Ford GT.
Old 10 Jun 2010, 15:46 (Ref:2708362)   #14
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
They at least need to get rid of the carbon brake discs and change the front splitter and rear wing.

The big problem is that in theory the engine must be based on the road car engine. That is not the case for the Nissan. I am not sure about the Ford GT.

Ford GT? Ford don't make a GT!

L.P.
Old 10 Jun 2010, 15:49 (Ref:2708365)   #15
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik View Post
That's interesting, becuase it would seem to be a large waste of money and a terrible shame to see the new GT1's (GT, GTR, SVR) to rot away, so this shows there is hope for them.

As for the other 4, I think the time has passed for them.

Or what you could do with these four is to maybe have a classics championship for them?

If a GT3 B6, can be turned into a GT1, then I can see the Marc Mustang GT3, be turned into a GT2.
I'd guess they'll continue in the FIA series for a season or two until Ratel sees sense...

...but if the ACO can find a way of accomodating the only two 'real' new GT1 cars (as opposed to grandfathered old-regs GT1s) into their GT2-based GT class, then it maybe sends a pretty big shot across the bows to Ratel- especially if he doesn't get any other manufacturers looking to play his game.

Long-term, I wouldn't be all that surprised to see the two series having unified GT rules again, based on GT2 in a few years, assuming the FIA series survives that long
Old 10 Jun 2010, 15:51 (Ref:2708366)   #16
Gil Abobeleira
Veteran

Quote:
That should make my sentiments clear on the removal of the Rats bas tardized GT-1s, in endurance racing!!!!!
x2 !!!!
Old 10 Jun 2010, 15:52 (Ref:2708367)   #17
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As KA says, I'm not surprised by this either. It seems ACO alligned itself with the traditional GT car manufacturers who have been most active in GT racing over the years; Porsche, Ferrari, Corvette, etc., and this is what they advised the ACO they were interested in. Ratel alligned himself with something else altogether and it appears the ACO just isn't buying into it.

DK
Old 10 Jun 2010, 15:53 (Ref:2708369)   #18
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
Quote:
I'd guess they'll continue in the FIA series for a season or two until Ratel sees sense...

...but if the ACO can find a way of accomodating the only two 'real' new GT1 cars (as opposed to grandfathered old-regs GT1s) into their GT2-based GT class, then it maybe sends a pretty big shot across the bows to Ratel- especially if he doesn't get any other manufacturers looking to play his game.

Long-term, I wouldn't be all that surprised to see the two series having unified GT rules again, based on GT2 in a few years, assuming the FIA series survives that long
What about Reiters SV-R?
Old 10 Jun 2010, 15:59 (Ref:2708373)   #19
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Ford GT? Ford don't make a GT!

L.P.
True- but Matech seem pretty keen on supporting the car in Europe, it's still a fairly recent arrival on the GT racing scene, and there's also a GT2 version in the ALMS. The ACO finding a way of fitting both the Nissan and Ford into their regs might send the message to any other manufacturers who might be looking at GT racing that the ACO are being amenable, and it's Ratel and the FIA who have gone out on a limb...
If you're Reiter Engineering, and the ACO are willing to fit the Skyline and Ford into their rule framework, then you might well be encouraged to follow the same direction rather than sticking with Ratel- and if you're a potential GT manufacturer watching this, which way would you leap?

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Lambo SV-R follow if the Ford and Nissan are accommodated by the ACO GT class
Old 10 Jun 2010, 16:02 (Ref:2708376)   #20
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The new regs also mention 2 subclasses for the GT2, full pro and another pro-am class.

I think this will increase the interest. I'm sure if they didn't think of this some of the traditional teams would lose interest in time. As much as having BMWs and Corvettes coming in with full pro teams is great, it could have had a lasting effect on the many pro-am porsche, ferrari teams, and I think this is a great solution.

Overly excited to hear Ratatouille's sprint cars being evicted. I do hope the Ford GT can make it into GT2 along with the Nissan.

Too bad they didn't realize it already this year. But they were quick and it's quite funny they evict the GT1s for next year even before they actually race the 24.
Old 10 Jun 2010, 16:03 (Ref:2708377)   #21
Gil Abobeleira
Veteran

Hmmm...

If Doran made a GT2 version out of the Ford GT, how come can't Matech do the same?

If I was the ACO (and clearly I'm not ), I'd say to them: "Sure you can race the Ford in GT2, just build a car for those rules!".

The same could be applied to Nissan... If they want to play with the big boys, build a car with the rules in mind.
Old 10 Jun 2010, 16:04 (Ref:2708378)   #22
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
Quote:
True- but Matech seem pretty keen on supporting the car in Europe, it's still a fairly recent arrival on the GT racing scene, and there's also a GT2 version in the ALMS. The ACO finding a way of fitting both the Nissan and Ford into their regs might send the message to any other manufacturers who might be looking at GT racing that the ACO are being amenable, and it's Ratel and the FIA who have gone out on a limb...
If you're Reiter Engineering, and the ACO are willing to fit the Skyline and Ford into their rule framework, then you might well be encouraged to follow the same direction rather than sticking with Ratel- and if you're a potential GT manufacturer watching this, which way would you leap?

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Lambo SV-R follow if the Ford and Nissan are accommodated by the ACO GT class
But as for Ford being a full manufacturer entry, like Chevy and BMW, maybe not so. With the WRC and the rumoured WTCC entry, would it be fully funded by Matech with Ford supporting with technical data. We'll just have to see.
Old 10 Jun 2010, 16:08 (Ref:2708388)   #23
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewF31 View Post
Too bad they didn't realize it already this year. But they were quick and it's quite funny they evict the GT1s for next year even before they actually race the 24.
Whether it was intended or not, it strikes me as a sensible move- Use the LMS and Le Mans this year to get a direct comparison of how the Ratel GT1 cars stack up against ACO GT2s before deciding what to do about them. Now it seems they've decided they don't want anything to do with 'new GT1', but maybe are leaving open a door to try and entice Nissan in particular over to ACO GT2.

That's quite a result for the ACO if they can pull it off- Japanese factory interest at LM in 2011, and the ACO get to tell the world that they've got the top-dog GT class, and not Ratel...
Old 10 Jun 2010, 16:12 (Ref:2708394)   #24
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Abobeleira View Post
Hmmm...

If Doran made a GT2 version out of the Ford GT, how come can't Matech do the same?

If I was the ACO (and clearly I'm not ), I'd say to them: "Sure you can race the Ford in GT2, just build a car for those rules!".

The same could be applied to Nissan... If they want to play with the big boys, build a car with the rules in mind.
Maybe saying to them 'OK, let's look at what you'd need to change on your car to fit it into our rules' might be more effective in bringing them on board than just saying 'our way or nothing'

How different are the Matech GT1 and GT3 Fords from the Doran GT2, and how much work would it take to convert either Matech car to an ACO-legal GT2?
Old 10 Jun 2010, 16:15 (Ref:2708396)   #25
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Will be interesting to see the SRO's response to that. I can see them allowing ACO GT-cars with mild upgrades into the world championship... Especially with the need for a replacement for the Maserati, I could easily imagine a Vitaphone 458 - all it basically needs is a bigger rear wing, BoP will take care of the rest.